Do you sunbathe?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:58 pm

The only time I sit in the sun is to warm up a bit after a swim :lol: I like to read and the sun is just too bright to do that, also I have 3 children so the opportunities are few and far between :roll:

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kathy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:11 pm

I don't sunbathe and when I look at Northern Europeans, the same age as myself who have resided in the sun for the same length of time as I have, its reaped rewards.

I´m out in the sun a lot I always try to use use protection and in summer a floppy hat.

On a recent trip to England I had
a few people who had n´t seem me for years having a giggle at my non existent tan.

I´m on a crusade to save my skin the best I can.
Last edited by Kathy on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:24 am

ahh the milk is in the coconut lavanda

all those people on the beach in fuengirola are from northern spain on holiday,must all have been wearing athletico bilbao shirts before they applied the olive oil

daftest thing i have heard all day,if you dont mind me saying so
jayne countys most famous song,google it

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:55 am

i think i´ve been to the beach "sunbathing" about 4 or 5 times in 10 years. sitting around doing nothing has no appeal to me whatsoever.

i dont need to sunbathe, i work outside.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:21 am

No, Frog, of course I don't mind. 'Daft' is rather nice. My post re: tourists from the north of Spain was tongue-in-cheek rather than tongue stretched out!

Ursula
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ursula » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:36 pm

Locals DO sunbathe but only in the summer months and mostly on a trip to the beach.

Spanish will not be seen dead in shorts after September (unlike Brits on holiday). the brits at this time of year are easily spotted. :D

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:44 pm

Equally, all the village pools are now closed as the schools have started again. It's still very hot but ... officially, summer's over! Some of the locals here are already wearing jackets!

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:47 pm

Peachy: Perhaps you are not putting the oil on correctly. It should be slowly and gently massaged into the skin all over. Can I help in any way? :) :wink:
My brain works like lightning -one flash and it's gone

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:03 am

Well it's a bit late, but if you wanted to sunbathe in Britain you could do so now. This week has been a delightful Indian Summer..... even had a BBQ last night :) I only hope that the good weather lasts in Spain as we are out for month on Thursday. Can I order any rain for night time, so it does more good :wink:
Sandramay

Kamila
Resident

Sunbathing

Postby Kamila » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:04 pm

I sunbathe, love the sun. Like Paula in winter on the terrace and I have to go to the beach or the pool in summer because I have our grandson here on his holidays all summer. I don't use sun creams, never have done. My skin is tough and I am like princess peach, never burn. But I don't go out till 3pm though. Never at midday sun. I use suncream on my grandson and he hasn't burned once in the 7 years he's been coming here. I often lay in the shade because I don't want to go too dark.
Spanish do sunbathe, our neighbour goes to the beach every day in August when they are on holiday. They go at around 11am and return at 3pm.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:08 pm

alaninspain wrote: It should be massaged into the skin all over. Can I help in any way? :) :wink:
You could be volunteering for a big job there Alan - my impression of princess is more Hattie Jacques than Victoria Beckham! :shock:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:23 pm

Sandramay wrote:I only hope that the good weather lasts in Spain as we are out for month on Thursday. Can I order any rain for night time, so it does more good :wink:
Well, we had rain for the first time in months here last night Sandra.....but with an overnight low of 20degrees it dried up before having a chance to soak into the soil! :cry: We have fingers and toes crossed for a longer soaking and a cooler night!! :lol:

Karen xxx
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:05 pm

my impression of princess is more Hattie Jacques than Victoria Beckham!
haha...have me down as a fat lass eh....probably a very smelly one too knowing you eh peter. :lol:

joan
Tourist

Postby joan » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:28 pm

Oh..this thread is so much fun..and apologies now for being serious.. :?

Up until the age of 18 I had a 'medical condition' that resulted in me being kept out of the sun. It ended up being bunkum..I was fine. The MD was out of date...and my parents thought I was precious..... :lol: BUT out of the sun I was kept until the age of 18 when I went to Uni..!

THe PROBLEMS I went through for the next 10 years..... :(
I am a strong believer that the skin needs to be 'toughened'..Ok not to extent of damage, but I had the problem that any bit of sun was agony - my skin had no defences.

I weaned myself ONTO sunshine...... so that I can now go out and not frazzle 8)

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:22 pm

No no nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Do you know painful skin cancers are?
anyway, anyway, love from me.

kexon
Resident

Do You Sunbathe?

Postby kexon » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:32 am

Personally I cant think of anything worse for your skin! I have a friend who likes to sit out in the midday sun both in the uk and abroad,her skin is like a walnut colour and just as wrinkled she looks about 90 years old!! Where we like here temps can hit 45c in the summer, I stay out of it as much as possible ,but when out and about use factor 30 or sometimes 50 on my face and factor 30 on arms etc.Theres no way I want to end up looking like my friend!!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:14 pm

But dont you think it depends on the type of skin you have to start with?
My parents have both got good skin,and they are in their 50s..no wrinkles.

I have fairly firm skin and no signs of any wrinkles yet.. :lol:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:28 pm

We always slap on the high factor suncream- nothing less than 25 on a not so bright day and 30 or more on a hotter day and we keep out of the sun from 12-5 if possible (that is not sunbathe) I´ve never been a sunbathing fan anyway- find it mostly very boring!
My pal who is very fair skinned thinks factor 4 oil is high :shock: and they will sit out all day in the really hot sun :shock:
Son spent a year working his way around OZ, all outdoor work- he came back looking like he´s not seen the sun for years- he is very pale so is very careful and only uses high factor sunscreen. :D Both sons were in Valencia this summer for the pop festival and used factor 50. (one is blondish and the other auburn, so both have fair skin)

maddy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby maddy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:34 pm

i see no need in suncream.skin need vitamin d and a tan always looks great.beats pasty white color any day.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:44 pm

I agree maddy that tanned skin LOOKS better than a pasty white skin but it is actually burned skin isn't it?
anyway, anyway, love from me.