with all that rain....

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
JAKE M
Resident

with all that rain....

Postby JAKE M » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:41 pm

On checking the weather forecast (we're coming out to our house in the axarquia region on 8th November for 10 days,) I cant help but notice a lot of rainy days. Has this helped the reservoir situation (Vinuela in particular)ready for next year or do we still need a deluge to top it up?
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

alisonb
Resident

Re: with all that rain....

Postby alisonb » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:15 pm

No help at all. Although the Malagaweather site (at Vinuela) showed heavy thunderstorms yesterday, we had about 10 spots. Didn't even water the plants
AlisonB

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:17 pm

..all what rain :D . We've really haven't had much either, although I often read on here that others further west have suffered heavy downpours, so I think it's run out by the time it reaches us! We haven't had any water from our water 'action' for over two weeks now when we used to get a load twice a week, so I guess it's being rationed. Just as well we have a nice big deposito - we have enough to last a year but I do like to keep it topped up.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:06 pm

What rain further west Wicksey? We´re lots further west and have seen very very little. We had a thunderstorm overnight, the week before last...and that has been it!
Send it this way Jake, if you get it for your hols, thats what I say!! :D
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

jp williams
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jp williams » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:14 pm

JAKE M wrote:On checking the weather forecast (we're coming out to our house in the axarquia region on 8th November for 10 days,) I cant help but notice a lot of rainy days. Has this helped the reservoir situation (Vinuela in particular)ready for next year or do we still need a deluge to top it up?
Jake,We are in Mondron beyond Periana and I understand that Vinuela is being deliberately left to empty by the authorities in order to allow them to repair 3 large fissures in its base.The cost of the intended repair runs into several tens of millions of euros and is being funded by European money.

Regards

John
JP

tidal
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby tidal » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:25 pm

What rain!!!!!
The other day, according to the gauge we had 3" of the stuff, bringing down small earthslides, gouging foot deep channels in the hillsides and even with the standard cover on the top depositing inches of water down cave-house chimmeys
The storms (yes plural) went on for hours with hail and torrential rain and the lightning wgich was hitting the ground all round us not only took out the electricity but, in spite of an excellent antisurge device, took out the modem on the phone line.
This was the sky as they finally moved on.........and that was still nearly 2 hours before sunset

HKM
Resident

Postby HKM » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:15 pm

We live west of Granada, we had a lot of rain on Saturday afternoon 2 + inches, then last night, much the same, this afternoon we have had more than 3 inches. All good I know, but it don't half make the pavements and roads very, very slippy! Hence one sore bum!

Why do they not use rough tiles on the pavements?

HK

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:56 pm

We have had rain for the last 3 weekends and quite a bit of it at times. Went out for lunch yesterday and the heavens opened halfway between car and restaurant. I had a brolly :) but OH walked into restaurant looking like he had been for a swim fully clothed :oops:
Looking pretty dark and cloudy out there now.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:52 pm

Yep that was a wet Saturday and a big clean up on Sunday for us (Tidal, OH and self) Seen nothing like that since we have lived here. Rain came down all three chimneys and flooded into the rooms. Only Tidal and myself were here at the time but we managed to keep two mop buckets fully manned. Part of the mountain fell into the road further along the hamlet. OH arrived back from Murcia in the early hours and had to negotiate his path along the road avoiding the mountain that was covering it :shock:

Just got fully straightened today. Yet places less than 20K from us had nothing

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:15 am

karandjon wrote:What rain further west Wicksey? We´re lots further west and have seen very very little. We had a thunderstorm overnight, the week before last...and that has been it!
Send it this way Jake, if you get it for your hols, thats what I say!! :D
Judging by the later posts Karen, it looks like Granada has had it all this time. My friend was staying at her Mum's in Murcia the other week and had dreadful weather when it was OK here. I thought our weather usually came from the west, but that's not the case in the last few weeks it seems.

Every valley around here seems to have it's own weather system - it's not unusual to speak to someone from Nerja who's had torrential rain all morning and we haven't had a drop! As Trog said, it seems very localised.

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:59 am

Its rained every day here for the last three days,more like April weather than October,hot and sunny and then followed later by rain,the weeds love it!

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:32 pm

[quote
Jake,We are in Mondron beyond Periana and I understand that Vinuela is being deliberately left to empty by the authorities in order to allow them to repair 3 large fissures in its base.The cost of the intended repair runs into several tens of millions of euros and is being funded by European money.

Regards

John[/quote]

I've read on here about repairs to Vinuela and divers being sent down to in vestigate but didn't know about the fissures.
where does the area now draw it's water from ?
Jake
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:39 pm

I just hope they really are going to repair any reservoir that needs it. I understand they are nearly all in a bad state and surely the best thing to do is get on and repair them whilst they are so low. I just trust that the 'necesary paper work' doesn't last for the customary 3 years :roll:

We have had 100mm rain this month which is a lot more than last year. No more trips to the fuente for water for the plants as the rain butts are all full :D
Life is 'ard den you die!

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:49 am

These are pictures of the river that is at the front of my house, it is usually a trickle at best!!!

jp williams
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jp williams » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:39 pm

JAKE M wrote:[quote

Regards

John
I've read on here about repairs to Vinuela and divers being sent down to in vestigate but didn't know about the fissures.
where does the area now draw it's water from ?
Jake[/quote]

Jake,
I understand that Vinuela supplies Malaga and the surrounding area and that
Periana and Mondron etc are supplied from a large,natural underground resevoir near to Alfarnetjo.

Regards

John
JP

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:57 pm

I read that Viñuela is down to about 10% and that under that most of the water is unusuable as it sucks the rubbish off.

Dido, there are an awful lot of Pylons in those photos, do they worry you? I am probably over-reacting again but I worry about things like that.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:24 am

Katy there is an electricity station just at the end of our track and they have just put 2 new pylons in the field next to our house, yes it does worry me as does living near phone masts, funny the house we rented in the uk before we moved to Spain was also next to an electricity station!! :shock:

Luckily we are moving in a few weeks :D

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:08 pm

where to ? further coastal or near ur mums ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:01 pm

Just to Campillos, so a bit nearer the coast but further from my mums, we are fed up of living in the middle of nowhere so moving back to a town, and it's cheaper too :wink:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:06 pm

cool .. should be good :)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.