Mollete

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Mollete

Postby Kathy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:13 pm

Can anyone tell me if molletes have yeast in them or not?

concorde
Resident

Re: Mollete

Postby concorde » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:28 pm

not according to this

The mollete of Antequera is a traditional bread product made of flour, water, salt and baking powder; all of them 100% natural ingredients that give an idea of how healthful and nutritious this product is. The mollete is a traditional product of Arabian origin that here in Antequera we have perpetuated and that in Don Mollete baker’s we know how to produce under the strictest quality controls.
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kathy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:05 am

Are Molletes unleavened breads?

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:49 pm

Have just looked at the ones they sell in Mercadona and they do have yeast!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:56 pm

I love 'em; I'm sure there is yeast in the ones I eat which come from the local Panaderia so no labels I'm afraid. They have risen in the making and baking I'm sure if that's a clue. I'm no cook...just the end consumer..lovely with jamon y queso and mantiquiler of course. Little cafe I know in Jerez does them slightly toasted for breakfast... good enough to die for!

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:32 pm

Don't know what is in a mollete but I do know that it is one of the white bread products I can eat without getting serious indigestion so there must be something that is not in it :? Perhaps it is the yeast?
Life is 'ard den you die!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:52 pm

mollete...a traditional bread product made of flour, water, salt and baking powder.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:31 pm

I doubt that there is a definitive answer on this one. The "Authentic" molletes which you buy in Mercadonna come from Antequera (http://www.mollete.com) and contain "levadura" which could be yeast or baking powder.

Concorde's post refers to the English translation of the other "authentic" mollete site. The Spanish version says it contains "levadura" - that could be yeast or baking powder.

Mollete is a bread of Arab origin and Arab breads sometimes contain yeast and sometimes not.

I have to say that the molletes that I have eaten seem more like bread in consistency so I would guess that yeast is probably the rising agent rather than baking powder.

Sid

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:15 pm

If you tell an Archidonese that molletes come from Antequera you are likely to be flattened, with or without yeast :) Archidona is allegedly the true birthplace of the mollete - Antequera just nicked the idea and marketed it better. But who really cares, they are fab with jamon y aciete, toasted lightly, wherever they came from!

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kathy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:27 pm

My reason for asking is that I have a guest coming to stay who needs to follow a yeast free diet, so from the replies I cant guarantee the Molletes are yeast free.

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:24 pm

My Fay says it sounds like soda bread or the aussie damper bread, just made with plain flour, cream of tarter, bicarbonato soda ,plus water,mix all together nead ligthly make into rolls or a loaf, put into 200 to 220 oven for about15 to 20 minutes. if you have not got cream of tarter, you can use two tea spoons to one bicarb of lemon juice.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:16 am

I have to confess until I saw this thread I had never heard of Molletes, so I went for a surf to find out about them. I did find two entirely different recipes. One clearly used yeast, the other I do not think so at first glance. I shall post a link to both for you to compare.

http://www.mundorecetas.com/enlace.php? ... MOLIDA.htm

http://recetas.mundorecetas.com/receta4 ... s.html&430

Off to bed now I did not realise the time :shock: