Puppy Training

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
HKM
Resident

Puppy Training

Postby HKM » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:28 pm

Hi

I have a 5 month old Shar-pei, she has been socalized everyday.. But still is terrified of people, and is now pulling the whole time we are out.. I have been glued to Dog Borstal and Dog whisperer trying to pick up some tips but think I need some proper advice before she gets any bigger...

So if anyone can help it would be most appreciated...

Thanks

HK

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Puppy Training

Postby Pink Lady » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:28 pm

What area do you live in? I had a couple of classes with a female english trainer in Antequera and another trainer (ex police dog handler) was also recommended to me. I have the details for both if you want to send me a private message.

Dixie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dixie » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:46 pm

I have a 6 and a half month new foundland who is huge so I can sympathise with you. He started pulling the more i took him out, so i stopped each time he pulled me and made him sit.This took patience but he seems to be learning. I also put his lead on in the drive without holding it and walk him round the garden stopping, sitting and walking again. Failing that try a halti, i've used them with my danes which were very affective.

HAPPY WALKING :lol:
To the world you are one person
To one person you are the world!

Dixie

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:58 pm

I also had lessons with Chris, the female british trainer, and her obedience and lead training excercises definitely helped. Even a short course of, say, 6 lessons would set you up and give you the tools and the confidence to take control!

ChrisA
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ChrisA » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:01 pm

Hi

I'm the female British trainer that Pink Lady and Gee Gee are talking about. What area are you in? I had a year old male Shar-pei to board over Xmas who had had hardly any training and would not down, sit or walk on a lead without pulling. At the end of the 10 days he was walking really well on the lead, stopping at the kerbs and going down when we stopped and waiting to be told to heel. The owners are now really pleased and are keeping up the training.

ChrisA

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:24 pm

Hi HKM,
The TV programs you mention are good viewing but that's all. You really need a hands on trainer to put you on the right track and then the dog will respond correctly.
Whatever training method you use have fun with the dog . Remember it might take only five minutes to teach a command or it could take five weeks, so keep cool and enjoy. :)
The Dog Whisperer by Paul Owen is worth reading.

J

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:35 am

Chris,

Where are you based and do you do any Animal Aunting?

ChrisA
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ChrisA » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi Jool
I'm based in Mollina Nr Antequera think you are quite a way from me. Yes, if you mean do I look after dogs whilst you are away from home be it a day or more.
Chris