Mrs B's Favourite Cook Book

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Mrs B's Favourite Cook Book

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:52 am

My Wife reads cookery books like some ladies read Mills and Boon books,and at last count she has around 750 cookery books, all shapes and sizes, everything from microwave cookery to Pasta for Children..

And she has just announced her favourite cook book of all time...........( Drum Roll )....

And the Winner is.....The Dairy Book of Family Cookery..published by the Milk Marketing Board in 1983..! !

Of course it was me who purchased this wonderful book for my Missus...cost 25p from a charity shop, and Yes I know what you are thinking.....'.Isn't he a kind and generous Husband'......

Ooohh Yes I really know how to treat my Wimmin.... :lol:

Joking apart My good Lady informs me that it is an excellent book with loads of useful tips...

My favourite cookbook is Culinaria ..Spain, full of information about regional foods and wines etc....a great book...

I was just wondering if other members have a favourite cook book, or do you keep buying the latest Celebrity Cook book on offer at W.H Smith etc.. :?:

Regards,
Gordon the Generous Husband... :oops:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Mrs B's Favourite Cook Book

Postby katy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:03 pm

Don't have many, I usually go on the web if I want to find a new recipe. My OH is more likely to look at a cookery book than I. The one we use the most is one which belonged to my Mother, three books in one by Elizabeth David. Mediterranean Food, French Country cooking and Summer cooking. Also have an old BE-RO Flour book, very old and printed in brown and white! Gives times for coal ovens too and the amount of stodge in there is amazing...how is it they weren't fat in the old days :?

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:35 pm

My mum bought me that exact book when I was 10 Beni!!! :D She wanted to entice me into the kitchen to learn to cook, but being somewhat of a tomboy, i was having none of it. I kept the book until i cleared out loys of things in 2003, just before moving to Spain. As i didnt have time to to do any cooking in England, i got rid of most of my cookbooks (all presents), only to find that out here, i have had loads of time to cook, and have found i rather enjoy it! I have had to restart my collection all over again, and at present have no favourite...i enjoy them all.After all, they all have my favourite subject in...food!! :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Kamila
Resident

Postby Kamila » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:17 pm

I have Culinaria Spain and I love the book It is a very informative book. I love cookery books but I can't say that I have one favourite one. Every book has at least one recipe which I like.

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:05 pm

My favourite cook book is one which contains recipes I have collected over the years.
It is actually written in an old 1V form geography book of mine. I must have cut out the pages relevant to 'geog' so that I could write down some of the recipes my dear old aunty from Yorkshire used to bake. These recipes are still the ones I cook most today though there are other more recent ones in the book as well of course.

The book is now well tatty and spattered with years of splashes of yorkshire pud. batter etc. but I wouldn't be without it for the world.
Life is 'ard den you die!

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:23 pm

I have a very battered copy of Mrs Beeton's Cookery book. I have no idea how old it is but there is an advert in it for anti-incrustators ( yesterday's terminolgy for decalcifier ! :D ). All the ads are amusing and there is picture of a modern gas oven that looks more like an old fashioned wood burning stove.
The section on managing ones servants I find really hilarious.
Some of the recipes are OK but she seemed to have an obsession with recipes containing offal, brains and all things jellied, etc., yuk !
One of my favourites is the Readers Digest Cookery year - again, I have no idea how old it is but I have a horrid feeling it could be several decades :oops:

sheilap
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sheilap » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:42 pm

I have and old BE-RO book I inherited from my Granny.The receipe for baked alaska says to when you have covered the icecream :D flash in hot oven :D how long is a flash :oops: :lol:

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:02 am

My fav has to be one I inherited from my late Mother in law, which was the WI cook book from the Durham area. Has some cracking recipes in it and I think it was published in the early 50's. There are some very traditional and regional recipes, but also some very thrifty recipes, the kind that will produce a feast for 3000 with two eggs and a wilted courgette...... :lol: :lol:

Other than that it has to be my Indian cook book, which I actually bought in Spain for under €5.00. It has some lovely recipes, and is very comprehensive.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:17 pm

Well it would seem that most of you have cherished cookery books passed down from Mothers and Grandmothers, which means that I have lost my bet with Mrs B, I thought that you would all be buying the celebrity cooks latest books,.... you know I'm not taking anymore bets with her, she always wins..somehow..
And I can't really keep calling my beloved Mrs.B, can I ?

So please let me introduce my lovely Wife...PAULINE..That's better...... so much less formal, and anyway we are all friends on here , aren't we ? :D

Pauline asks me to mention that she also uses an old Be-ro book and one from the 2nd World War, and now I know how she makes such economic meals....

Regards,
Gordon and Pauline.
Last edited by BENIDORM on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bandy
Resident

Postby Bandy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:20 pm

Got a library of cookery books :!: :!: :roll: Quite a few favourites depending on what is being cooked.
Barbeque Bible by Ainslet Harriott has great recipes, marinades and rubs etc, Meat by Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall is a must for carnivores and Appetite by Nigel Slater is first class for its simplicity and tasty offerings. :) :)
is the sun over the yardarm yet ?

lizzie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lizzie » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:39 pm

I still use a book that belonged to my Mum. A Good Housekeeping Cookery Compendium publihed in 1952. My daughter likes i because it has lots of easy to follow picures although we sometime muck up converting amount from imperial to metric.

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:54 pm

Those conversions are a pain aren't they? I've got mine all written down on a bit of paper but can I ever find it when I need it :?: :roll:
Life is 'ard den you die!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:37 pm

Wow.... Beni ..... 750 cookery books .... where do you keep them all??

I used to have about 40 but over the years have reduced the number greatly. I realised I used to buy one as it had one good recipe in it and I never used it again. My fave book is Mediterranean Cookery by Claudia Roden. I also have a very old one (my first cookery book) called Easy Stage Cookery that has a lot of very basic things in it which you don't seem to get nowadays - everything for home-made hamburgers to marmalade, and sponge cakes to timings for roasting a turkey.

I tend to copy recipes from the internet a lot now (deliaonline.com) or take ideas of dishes from TV programmes such as Jamie Oliver/Nigella Lawson (although I cannot stand the out-of-focus filming and her continuous smug smile - I have persevered)/Rick Stein.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:42 pm

The Dairy Book of Family Cookery..
My mum used to have this book and i used to read it as a child.Im very sure there was another one that went with it,but i cant remember for the life of me what it looked like or the name of it.
I remember it being fascinating as a young girl,and if i remember rightly,it goes into all the different cuts of meats etc...cream coloured roughish cover,with four large pictures(i think)
does your wife have the partner book?
i would love to know its name....was it the dairy book of home management? :? i think it mightve been.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:45 pm

have just done a quick search on ebay..and i was right

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Dairy-Book-Of ... 240%3A1318

thats a great book too ..