So...Are we the new poor??

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
katy
Andalucia Guru

So...Are we the new poor??

Postby katy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:40 pm

Had a delivery of wood two days ago and OH gave him 10E tip as usual. Paco put his arm around him and said "no es necesario" OH joked with him and said about his Brother-in-Law putting up the wine 4E in his restaurant etc. I ran into him today and he said to come to the restaurant and the bottle of wine would be gratis. He said he had been reading about us Brits crushed by the exchange rate :shock: Will it be free Tapas all round :lol:

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Re: So...Are we the new poor??

Postby Paula » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:51 pm

I think you may be right Katy. The Monarch flight I was on to UK a week ago had more Spanish on it than I've ever known. Lots of youngsters talking about shopping they were going to do in London etc etc.
At least we will feel the benefit of any free tapas, being as we have rarely had them. Just need to afford the drinks to get them :lol:

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:10 pm

I doubt he really thinks you are poor after getting a10 euro tip from you!!
he probably thought that inviting you to a bottle was a good investment for future tips !!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:14 pm

and spending!!

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:17 pm

My flight back into Sevilla last night had almost all Spanish passsengers, very few Brits on board. Bet they had fun spending all their extra cash :lol:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:25 pm

Yes many of them seem to have discovered low cost travel this past year or so.....

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:35 pm

Jool wrote:Yes many of them seem to have discovered low cost travel this past year or so.....

MANY---------- I dont think so :roll:

Given the drastic reduction in cheap flight routes to the UK let´s be realistic and say maybe a FEW
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:38 pm

Hey Bongtrees, lighten up :D
Jool may be lucky and post something that you don't pull her up on soon :)

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:40 am

i agree with julian,its a ploy,his brothers restaurant needs a few more customers,maybe not doing so well
stil if your going out and like the place take the freebie
jayne countys most famous song,google it

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:21 am

Well this month we are certainly the poor folk..... we have 2 lots of friends coming to stay over Christmas, no way can we keep up with them if they want to go out eating/drinking. We certainly won´t be going mad buying up all the food in the shops. Got the cake made, made a pud (and one for 2009 too :D ) veg (grown in the garden) is in the freezer, just got to buy cheese, meat and potatoes (got some growing in the garden, only 4 plants though)
We are not going mad with the meat either, a joint of pork is ordered (with the skin on) and I´ll buy some prawns (semi-veggie friend) and that is that. Got sausage meat in the freezer (not Irish) for the sausage rolls and that is that. Perhaps if they don´t get well fed they won´t come back next Christmas :lol:

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:11 pm

Well we are a lot poorer this year as we have tried to help a few friends out. We are also 3 lots of friends down too. Not too many Xmas cards sent or received this year!! The first lot didn't pay the leccy for 3 years having left it in our name - all paid up now albeit after lots of hassle. My OH went back to London for work in July. He is renting a 2 bed flat in London. His friend offered to share second bedroom - 3 months later and a huge central heating bill it was time for him to move on :shock: Then another friend came for 2 weeks from Malta, central heating on constantly and he brought his 10 year old son to stay too (who lives nearby with the mum). When he left he said I'll just keep the key cos I'll be back to spend Xmas and New Year!! :shock: :shock: Unbelievable!! Think we are top of The Times Poor List - or should that be the bottom?

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:24 pm

BT - I deal in evidence and actual real life experience as opposed to pre-set prejudices.....I think Oliveview´s quote shows that the word many applies here where the phrase almost all is included.
My flight back into Sevilla last night had almost all Spanish passsengers, very few Brits on board
My own experience over the last year is that the proportion of spanish passengers is ever increasing, before they were a tiny minority, now a lot more, often up to the majority of the plane, but these days always a significant number as opposed to 5 or 6 individuals in years gone by.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:09 pm

Anyone traveling on or about the 10th January, may be surprised to see how many young Spanish people will be traveling to England, it is a really popular week for young people to travel to the UK, the young Spanish class England as a place that has enough work for anyone, who doesn't mind, hotel, shop and cafe type jobs, on the spanish forums you can read were they say how easy it is to find work :mrgreen:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:32 pm

I knew I had become the 'new poor' when I found myself cutting the edges of Chrismas cards so I could fit them into standard size envelopes. :shock: It more than halves the cost of posting. :lol:
Life is 'ard den you die!

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:05 pm

wagonropes - and if you're VERY careful you can cut up last year's cards and use them for present tags :lol:
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:32 pm

I've decided I'm not sending xmas cards, other than ones that I include a letter. It just seems pointless, getting and sending cards from and to people you see regularly. Bunches of cards that say to blah blah and family, love from blah blah and family, what is the point :roll:
Bah humbug :wink:

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:36 pm

I've sent my best friend in the UK the same Xmas card as last year from the same pack! Is there a difference between economising and tight?

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:06 pm

Scot, its the thought that counts, and i would be surprised if your friend notices, i never would :)

I don't send cards for the fun of it maybe 20, but all with genuine effection :D
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:52 pm

Just a note on the popular topic of where it's cheaper, Costa or "Real" Spain; I had occasion to find myself in Orgiva (Alpujarras) last weekend. We stopped at a bar/restaurant in the town centre. Nothing fancy. We had a house salad between two, two "typical Aplujarran lunches" (the waiter, who clearly doubled as official village idiot, had extreme difficulty explaining what this was, even though it basically consisted of jamon serrano, chorizo, potatoes and eggs)a beer and a soft drink. The bill came to over €23. :shock:
We can get two three course menu del dias, including drinks, for not much more than half that here on the Costa del Caro. Am I missing something, or are we (Coastal Urbanites) the new Poor People?!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:09 pm

I think Orgiva has always been a little more expensive Miro for inland. (Thanks to Chris Stewart maybe)
Bet you were glad to get back to Torre :wink: