So...Are we the new poor??

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Re: So...Are we the new poor??

Postby karandjon » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:16 pm

Miro wrote:Just a note on the popular topic of where it's cheaper, Costa or "Real" Spain; I had occasion to find myself in Orgiva (Alpujarras) last weekend.
Personally, i wouldn´t class Orgiva as the "real" Spain. It is heavily touristy, with year round tourism, (not helped by Chris Stewarts 3 books based around there), unlike the cheaper "real" spain you are thinking of.i.e. all the villages/towns not heavily populated with brits/tourists, that most of us havenr even heard of! I have more english friends who live in/around Orgiva, than i do where I live now! :D
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:17 pm

above post posted at same time as Paula, so sorry for some duplication :D

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:38 pm

We carried on to Pampaniera and stopped for a coffee and hot chocolate. How far do we have to go to find these elusive prices that all the Costa slaggers go on about? I know, I know - it's touristy up there. Where isn't? Does anybody seriously want to live in Extremadura? The point is, if you live inland, you'll know of places where you can get a cheap nosh up, or free tapas with your beer, but similarly, those of us in the concrete jungle can also find good value amongst the rip-off tourist joints. It's all relative. Right now, if you've got British pounds which you don't want to change into euros (for obvious reasons) you can go to Iceland of all places and buy a beer for less than you'd pay in London! I guess we won't be seeing too many of our Viking friends in downtown Torrie next summer. They must be feeling really poor!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:14 pm

Miro - BEFORE you get to the turning for Orgiva, you will see 2 little pueblos Izbor and Los Acebuches. Go into Izbor...theres a bar/restaurant there (the only one)...used to serve beautiful tapas/meals. all local, great portions, fresh, cheap, great atmosphere. i havent been for 3 years or so tho, so things may have changed now.
The trick isnt the distance you need to travel, but to turn offinto the unknown little pueblos to experience the real spain, in my opinion.

HKM
Resident

Postby HKM » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:27 pm

we live inland and we find the coast much cheaper to eat, and far better choice. Drinks can be more expensive than here and we do get free tapas last night had 1 glass of barbadillo and a small plate of fish stew was 1.60.

But I do look forward to spending time at the coast and getting a nice meal..

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:01 pm

Sorry, Katy, I seem to have hijacked your thread a bit :oops:

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:04 pm

S'okay...at least it's interesting :D

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:36 am

Just seen this from Miro "Does anybody seriously want to live in Extremadura?"

Miro, how often have you been here and where did you go?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:05 am

Been there on a trip, beautiful area (most of it). Live there...no way José :shock:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:44 am

Lovely place I believe, but a bit cold Brrrrrrrrrr, we will have to comevisit and you can show us around Lol :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:25 pm

We too have been for a trip. Beautiful scenery, loved the place, or what we saw of it....but wayyyy too cold for us to live. Sorry!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:40 pm

Julie, the word you're looking for is FREEZING!!! :wink:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:54 pm

Lavanda wrote:Just seen this from Miro "Does anybody seriously want to live in Extremadura?"

Miro, how often have you been here and where did you go?
What are the chances?! Here we are, on Andalucia.com, and someone from Extremadura gate crashes and picks up on a throw away remark! I apologise for any offence, I simply picked the first place that popped into my head that isn't heavily touristed and as a result is probably genuinely cheaper. I have an occasional neighbour who lives in Villafranca, who is forever telling me how much less he pays for this or that, and frankly, it gets on my t*ts. If the cost of living here offends him, he's free to stay in his pueblo, where apparently they still use a barter system - you know, trading home made wine for home grown olives etc. Charming.
By the way, I have been to Extremadura, and totally agree with Katy. :)

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:25 pm

Just back from a visit to the frozen North - well, Leeds!
Went for a meal with OH, her son and his fiancee, in a newly-refurbished gastro-pub. Us boys had mixed grill - 1/2 chicken breast, large chunk of gammon, succulent steak, egg, chips, onion rings, peas - all falling off a large platter, the girls had other options of similar size and quality. The price? 2 x Grills @ £12.50 each, the other two meals free, so four ate really well for £25 - or 25 Euros...
Even the Crianze Campo Viejo Rioja was only £11 the bottle, and I have paid more than that here in restaurants.
The Brits in Spain are the new poor alright - it is much cheaper in the UK if you ignore Council & Road tax etc.
Tetley's tea bags £1.87 for 180, loads of BOGOFFs...Spain needs to get real.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:26 pm

Miro, Sweet Heart, I was a member of A.Com long before you arrived on the scene and I have visited and lived in Andalucia for over 10 years. I don't need to 'gatecrash' as I was already here at the party when you turned up with your charming turn of phrase. I was not offended by your remark but interested in where you might have visited. Bartering here works well. Clapped out John Deere tractor for new Mercedes; six-bedroomed town house for 20 hectares of olives, you know, usual country stuff.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:42 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Just back from a visit to the frozen North - well, Leeds!
Went for a meal with OH, her son and his fiancee, in a newly-refurbished gastro-pub. Us boys had mixed grill - 1/2 chicken breast, large chunk of gammon, succulent steak, egg, chips, onion rings, peas - all falling off a large platter, the girls had other options of similar size and quality. The price? 2 x Grills @ £12.50 each, the other two meals free, so four ate really well for £25 - or 25 Euros...
Even the Crianze Campo Viejo Rioja was only £11 the bottle, and I have paid more than that here in restaurants.
The Brits in Spain are the new poor alright - it is much cheaper in the UK if you ignore Council & Road tax etc.
Tetley's tea bags £1.87 for 180, loads of BOGOFFs...Spain needs to get real.
I've been sniffed at for saying the same Peter.
If you live in a community in Spain and pay community fees thats got to be almost the same as paying high council tax/road tax anyway.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:23 pm

"If you live in a community in Spain and pay community fees thats got to be almost the same as paying high council tax/road tax anyway."
to compare prices it´s best to compare like with like..if you want to compare costs if living in a community in spain then it´s best to compare it with living in a community in the UK

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:44 pm

Not really Julian. There is less community fee housing in UK. You'd be surprised how many people are shocked at having to pay community fees, and how high some are. They work out everything else, including this great saving on council tax etc, then find they are back to square one with community fees having to be paid.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:54 pm

There probably is less community housing in the UK, but you cannot compare a place that has community gardens and community swimming pools and community security with a place that doesn´t have or offer those facilities.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:58 pm

But Julian is right - if you live in a flat in the UK, you will pay maintenance fees - and pretty hefty ones if it's a new city centre converted warehouse type. If you live in a house you won't. But then, it's up to you to maintain it alone. Compare like for like.
But you're right too, Paula, there's far more apartment living in Spain, and you're probably right, a lot of people forget to factor in community fees (or the agent carefully neglected to point the fact out!) But it's hard to sympathise with people who think that manicured gardens and a swimming pool do not come at a price.