Sky box switching to standby

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
julian
Andalucia Guru

Re: Sky box switching to standby

Postby julian » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:43 pm

there is also the option of learning to like football !!

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:32 pm

LOL, yes Julian, I really enjoyed the Liverpool match (even without Torres :wink: ) but a continual diet of football, cricket, rugby and motorsport is detremental to my mental health - I need SOAPS to remain sane(ish)! Anyone got a cheap Sky digibox for sale :lol:

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:53 pm

I´d sell you mine cheap but I´ve a feeling it´s on the way out so it may not be such a bargain ! there are free to air boxes in leroy for 39 euros, they don´t get sky, but will get you several soaps.!

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:32 pm

Aww, thanks anyway julian - these free to air boxes, do they pick up UK channels? I don't particularly need a Sky box just one that will get BBC and ITV (hear the panic rising....) I don't want to pay a lot, like these Humax Freesat HD boxes, just need a basic digital satellite receiver :(

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:41 pm

as far as I can see you´ll get bbc, itv ,c4 and c5 for 39 euros (and another 100 unwatchable channels)

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:10 pm

Yes, that's all of the BBC and ITV channels plus some non-Sky film film channels. For a full list see here:

http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

Some simple programming is needed to get the channels in the order you want them.

I would guess that your box suffered ill-effects from the power cut.
Let's go Brandon!

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:21 pm

Sounds ideal, thanks for all your help and interest everyone :P
I'll carry on with the on/off pallaver for a few more days and see what happens then take a drive down to La Canada at the weekend - feeling a bit more relieved now there is a definite (cheap) solution!

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:56 pm

Well, would you believe it? After 4 days of twiddling, fiddling, plugging and unplugging and getting more and more frustrated I turned the TV and Sky box on this morning, the green light came on but no blue screen. I shouted at it and wiggled the scart lead and hey presto it came on! I put the viewing card in and now have all the channels back again. Of course I should be happy but as a renowned worry wart I'm a bit concerned that because of all the trouble I've experienced with the box, it is faulty and if I leave it on (especially overnight) it may catch fire (I know,it could happen anytime but still...) What do you think could have been the problem and do you think it is safe to leave it on as obviously I don't want to chance turning it off? :roll:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:55 pm

These boxes have a mind of their own. It could be anything. Switching it to standby only cuts the video and audio circuitry. The rest is still live. That's how it can received an update without being switched on.
Let's go Brandon!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:51 pm

congratulations!!!
now leave it on standby , and don´t touch the plug (not very "green" though)!!!

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:25 pm

Thanks julian, rest assured I will not be touching a thing, I even went out of the room to sneeze just in case that set it off again - blasted thing :lol: but oh, the joy of 2 episodes of EastEnders to look forward tonight......

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:30 pm

I think I read that there is a two-hour football special on tonight instead of eastenders!!!

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:57 pm

Ha ha, nice try - no, the only thing that could possibly upset me tonight is another power cut (and those dark clouds are rolling in as we speak) :evil:

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:50 am

We have had the switching to standby warning several times recently but managed to find the remote in time to hit the back button and stop it, but when the box was switched on on Thursday night channels 4 and 5 had vanished entirely. We rarely watch either of them so it's no great loss but they do have the occassional film that's worth watching. Anyone else having the same problem or an idea how to get them back.

Mhic.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:14 pm

On the rare occasion when we wanted to go out all day and record a programme later in the day, we returned to find we had recorded an hour and a half of blank screen as the Sky box had turned itself off onto standby mode (and there wasn't a powercut). A couple of days later we recorded the end of a film as we were going to bed and the box was back to standby the next morning. Thanks to this thread I have now switched the auto standby to 'off' which I presume will cure the problem. There didn't seem to be any choice of setting, such as a time limit before it switched off, but hopefully it has cured it now. It must only have switched to standby after several hours as it has never done it when we've been watching it. There were, admittedly, a few "you must have switched it off" discussions/accusations between me and my OH, particularly when I missed the Wallace and Gromit double bill on Christmas day :shock: :oops: :lol:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:13 pm

If rebooting will not bring back Channel 4 and Five put a card in the slot when you reboot. Any old card will do, even an old credit card put in upside down should suffice.
Let's go Brandon!

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:24 pm

I took the sky card out this morning and gave it a bit of a rub before shoving it back in and got both 4 and 5 back, great. Downside is it was the wife's suggestion so now I am married to a high tech blonde and encyclopaedia all in one, be no bloody living with her now.

Mick