I want to go Home to UK!

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

I want to go Home to UK!

Postby princess peach » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:51 pm

I really dont know why im telling you all this and i hope im not the only one that feels this way. :?
For the first time in 5 years i want to go home to England.
I am fed up with this place -the currency exchange rate,mortgage going sky high(gone up 60 euros a month),all these taxes that scare the life out of me that i know nothing about,nothing seems cheap here anymore,no job prospects for my husband.It seems the only reason worth staying for is my sons education.
I couldnt even sell my house if i wanted to,only for a loss.Renting- i would struggle to get enough to cover the mortgage.The only other bonus is the sunshine,which you get bored of too.
Im sorry guys im on a right downer...i hope its just winter blues,but i feel a strong pull to go home.
Is it because for the first time in five years,i feel trapped and have no option but to stay ?
I hope im not the only one here in Spain that feels this way.Please make me feel better and let me know im not on my own in feeling like this! :(

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: I want to go Home to UK!

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:55 pm

The most miserable day ever
Misery experts have calculated that today, 19 January 2009, is the most depressing day of all time.

This is the yahoo headlines today.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:12 pm

I imagine there will be a lot of people that would rather ride out the storm back in the UK, unfortunately they are likely to be the people that are trapped in Spain. There's no quick fix to what is happening in the economy at the moment anywhere, but I do think that people trapped in Spain with a mortgage, children, and few job prospects are going to have a particularly bad time of it.
I'd also be depressed, any day of the week not just today.

First and foremost I would be looking to move to wherever job prospects are better.
Probably not what you want to hear Peach, but I don't see what anyone could possibly say to cheer you up right now unless they lie.

HKM
Resident

Postby HKM » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi

I feel a 'strong pull' at the moment too...

But my circumstances are slightly different, I have had to spend a lot of time in the uk in the past few weeks because of health problems etc..

But then I come back home, no central heating.. problems at school with my son.. bad weather.. and I feel really down, but then again this could happen anywhere..

And I think my 'pull' has a lot to do with my medical problems that can only be sorted out in the UK..

Then I think of a few months time, when we will be sitting outside enjoy breakfast then a relaxing day by the pool and I can't wait!

HK

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:25 pm

We don't always (if ever :shock: ) see eye to eye but I'll say one thing.......getting it off your chest and telling it as it is WILL make you feel better.
I've lost count of the number of people we've met over there who are obviously so unhappy with that trapped feeling you have, but fight against it by going overboard about how great life is and how the UK is a midden.......I usually get stuck in at that point :lol:
It comes across so false you have to feel sorry for them but is is also very annoying to hear the make believe they come out with.

However there are also lots and I mean lots of people who are genuinely happy there and have probably been through what you're truthfully saying now and conquered it. These people can now speak freely about Spain warts and all and don't have to hide behind a silly charade.........after all nowheres perfect.
We have a place as you know in Spain but live in the UK, perfect eh? NO!! I/we get p1ssed off from time to time, it's life....It happens no matter what your circumstances are, how much you have or where you live.

As long as your feelings are not deep rooted homesickness due to missing relatives in the UK then you can overcome this....honest!

The £ WILL climb again, your interest rates WILL come down shortly and hubby will find a good secure job in time...........Enjoy the weather and the easier going lifestlye for now, pull your socks up and work on it..........it will happen, lets face it you would not be guaranteed a better time in the UK starting from scratch.

I usually only post on threads where people knock England and wax lyrical on Spain but at the end of the day I do like see people make a go of it and not give in for the wrong reasons.....you've invested too much time to doubt things now...........a little moan is allowed but that's it!!.....ok?

It is easy nowhere at the moment!

DA
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Anntonio
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Anntonio » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:14 pm

I gave up my job as a National Park Ranger in the Yorkshire Dales after 15 years to move here with my partner. We were both in our early 50s and felt it was time to move on, whilst we had our health and fitness. My partner, Ann, bought a property with land and as we were both practical people, knew we could get work for others as well as working the land. We didn't need much money to survive and planned it well. We came here a year last June and after a settleing in period(God what have we done!) settled down. Our first plan was to spend the summer here, then go back to the UK in oct for 4 months or so, as we have 3 working Cockers(plenty of beating) and know we could find other jobs in the Dales through friends and contacts. However when the time came niethere of us wanted to go back for the winter, we got a cheap flight for a week in that Nov, saw friends and family, but it was good to get back on the plane. Ann also bought a property for us to develop in the future, first to let out and then when we were too old to work the land, move to Mairana and watch the rest of the world go by. We both had 3 grown up children, although one of mine is only 12. I also have 4 grandchildren. Ann was unwell last winter and went back to UK in Jan, she died of cancer of the pancreas in feb 2008. Both myself and Ann had been married twice and after all the heartach I feel sure we at last had found each other.Because of the tax on the property I think I will have to return to the UK, but, and this is the point, I will return. I can get flights from Granada to Liverpool for next to nothing, so I can see my family and friends.(dogs a bit of a problem) I do not think that things are better now in the UK than when we left and I'm sure that I would be heartbroken, when I step off the ferry,or plane in the UK. Both the Spannish and Brits have supported me through the worst times, and the sunshine helps.
Tony x

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Oh Tony,

I am so sorry, how courageous you are, Ann would be proud of you I´m sure.

I hope a good solicitor or gestor can help reduce the duties you will have to pay.......

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:48 pm

before making the jump bck home to the UK PP , think about whether you were really happy in the UK when you made the decision to leave there to come to Spain,maybe there were reasons why you left that you have forgotten about now.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:45 pm

Suggest anyone feeling like this checks out the britishexpats dot com forum for "moving back to the uk".
a) you will see that you are not alone.
b) you might receive some useful advice and info.
c) you might change your mind!

Also look out for this TV series, due to start being broadcast this Feb apparently
http://www.itv.com/Lifestyle/NoPlaceLik ... fault.html
Last edited by hillybilly on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fantasy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby fantasy1 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:50 pm

Last year after we were subjected to a nasty break in and prior to this a similar incident to P.P I to became very disillusioned with Spain I just wanted to go back to the UK I got very down and the more down I became the more things I could find wrong with Spain so the greater the pull became.
Then over Christmas I was really ill with flu which really was the final straw I had two choices stay or go but whatever I did I was going to try and make the most of things as when you step back and look at others you do have to remind yourself just how lucky you are.
For me to go back to the UK would have involved me separating my family as one daughter would have come the other would rather eat dog food as her life is very much over here, she now speaks more Spanish than English and all her friends are here so she would not even consider it.
Also my hubbies business is in Gibraltar and he has worked very hard to make it what it is and he also hates the UK so I had to find a way to become happy I realized that I needed to move for many reasons but to me it was the 1st step so I have found a lovely new house and I am now trying to focus on being positive as I have come to realize that where ever I go I will never find perfection so I will settle for waking up each day and it being ok and any better than that is great.
So I am now looking forward to my move, my two daughters have just secured good jobs in Gibraltar and my little boy has just told me he loves me so all in all not to bad 
:D :D

pentaqua-new
Resident

Postby pentaqua-new » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:32 pm

This is the worst winter we've ever had here in Spain - but we wouldn't leave even for a ton of ££££s.

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:18 pm

Anntonio , all the best mate,you have had some bad times, but i bet you had some good ones too,those are the ones you can live with mate,Peachy, has you old man still got his job on Gib,?? if so perhaps he is not makeing loads of money, but it is work, lots of people are in deep sh@t with NO work, we too as pensioners are haveing hard times, but things can only get better sooner or later,do we want to go back to u.k where the pound is crap?? what would we gain?? sorry gal, but you could be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire, cheer up me little darlin, you arte normally the soul of the party , have a few xxxx thats what you need and a cuddle.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:26 am

this tempts me

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5jSoH3pOH ... re=related
jayne countys most famous song,google it

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:29 am

I can't add much but I think the word "trapped" says it all. In any situation, any person, any country, any job for that matter, there will be times of feeling great and times of feeling depressed. Feeling trapped, with no way out, stuck in something you don't want to be stuck in, makes the situation seem worse because of the feeling of helplessness and hopelessness.

I must add that the threads on a.com this past year have been pretty depressing and everyone's worries and concerns have been coming through. However, in the end, as Tony shows, it's the people in our lives that matter the most.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:04 am

I have just read through all of your comments,i was feeling down in the dumps again this morning.A few have put my post into perspective.Im sorry for whinging,there are far worse off people on here than me.Im glad i wrote the post as its maybe the kick up the @rse i need to get myself out of this depressing mood i have been in.
My hubby has plenty of work in Gibraltar for the next couple of years,but he cant further himself and get any more certificates by being here.
Im sorry once again for posting my whinges but would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post their replies.
Thanks Guys.xxx

min200
Tourist

Postby min200 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:04 am

Never apologise for the way you are feeling and for expressing those feelings. If you had said nothing you would of just stewed in your own juices!!

We have tried living in Spain and loved every moment of it. We have moved back to the UK due to lack of work and it was with a heavy heart as I want to be back in Spain asap but my kids are settled in school, we rent a lovely house thats "ours" as far as the landlord is concerned, wifey has a good job and my business is picking up here. I now have an allotment which the dog loves as much as me.

My point? We would have never left Spain if we had the choice but we had no other choice and it was with a sense of disappointment and failure that we did. BUT we have made a good life for ourselves back here in the UK. The kids are doing well and we are happy (most of the time). We do want to be back in Spain and we will be but we will let the kids finish school first and in the meantime we are exploring the many diverse areas of Spain as and when we can!

You will feel better soon Peach! I think the winter gets most of us down with far to much time stuck indoors. If you dont and you head back here why worry? Life is what you make it where-ever you are. Try something new and outrageous nad make yourself smile :)

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:09 am

last january on this forum there was also a general depressed mood, it seems to be some sort of post xmas thing as it seems to happy every year at this time, the sun will soon be shining and´everyone getting back to their normal lives, don´t make panicky, on the spur of the moment decisions, without careful thought, and preferably not on a down day !!

fantasy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby fantasy1 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:26 am

You whinge all you want better out than in its very hard when you feel like this trust me I know I have struggled with this on/off since we moved over years ago, what made/makes it worse is the rest of the family love it so I have always found it hard.
Last year when I felt this way i booked a cheep flight and went back on my own and had a good look around and tried to remember what made me make the move in the 1st place just having that time and space to think on my own did help.
:D Its better to do this than it is to do this :(
XX

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:33 am

Thanks Min.xxx
Julian you are totally correct in what you say, things dont normally get me down,im generally happy go lucky but i do seem to have a dose of January blues,
Fantasy you are right,I think i need to go back to UK for a holiday,maybe doing this will change my mind and see things are not so bad here afterall.. :?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:45 am

It makes for interesting reading how people's perspectives have changed within 12 months (almost exactly!)
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14097
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14024
For those very same people who were extolling the virtues of Spain this time last year (weather, lifestyle, schooling, cost of living, healthcare etc) but are now feeling a desire to go "home", what has happened in that year to change your minds? Is it down to personal circumstances or the economic climate in general?