Car road tax

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Shaunster
Tourist

Car road tax

Postby Shaunster » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:07 pm

If someone hasn't paid road tax on the car for about a year what is the interest you pay per month? My tax on my car is about 150€ a year so how much will the interest be for a year missed payment.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: Car road tax

Postby Julie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:10 pm

Its not alot, probably about 50 euro at most :oops:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Shaunster
Tourist

Postby Shaunster » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:11 pm

Thanks for that. Is that for the year?

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:31 pm

yes

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:01 am

i think it is initally 20% when you miss the pay by date, then a small amount as time goes on, so if you pay it now it should be about 30 euros or so more.

alba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alba » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:04 pm

slightly changing tack. where did you get notification of your road tax. I am about to purchase a car and not sure about road tax. Okay with ITV and insurance but road tax - no.
Alba

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:21 pm

I pay mine at the reclamacion office where I also pay my ibi

I have never recieved a bill though !
Last edited by Julie on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:06 am

[quote="alba". where did you get notification of your road tax. I am about to purchase a car and not sure about road tax.
Alba[/quote]
Road tax is payable for the year starting 1st Jan. It is paid in May/June (?) a bill should be sent by post to the address of the registered owner before it is due to be paid.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

alba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alba » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:25 pm

Thanks Gerryh but who sends it out to me. We have lived at our address for approx 2 years and not had 1 bit of mail
Alba

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:33 pm

Road Tax is gifted by the Government to your local Town Hall: It is they who should send you the bill and you pay at nominated banks in cash.Take your vehicle documents to your local town hall and ask them if there is any money due but current bills usually go out in May or June so you could wait 'till then.
If you happen to bank with one of the nominated Banks you can take the paying in slip into your own branch and transfer the money from your own account, much easier. We do this with the IBI as well.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:59 pm

alba wrote:Thanks Gerryh but who sends it out to me. We have lived at our address for approx 2 years and not had 1 bit of mail
Alba
What address is on the Permiso de Cirulación?
This is the address that the town hall will use.
This will be the address you said you where living at when you got the car documents.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

tidal
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby tidal » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:41 am

I've been looking at this thread and the one with the valuation data on with some interest. I have the chance of a good FREE working car (OK so i is a Lada Niva) that has been stored in a garage since 2006. Trouble is the ITV hasn't been renewed or the tax paid since 06 so I am trying to work out whether it is going to cost me more to transfer it and tax it than the car is worth......
Anyone good with maths? ........coz I sure can't work out the numbers on this one.

alba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alba » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:22 pm

Thanks Gerryh. Have a car which has been secured by way of a deposit but have not actually bought the car yet but hope to do so in Feb. What documents should I check or complete at the time of sale apart from ITV?
Much appreciated
Alba

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi Alba
If you are buying from a dealer then he will probably arrange the transfers for you.
The cost will have been included in the purchase price.
If buying privately then you should have the Permiso de Cirulación, which shows the name and address of the current owner and the Tarjeta Inspección Técnica de Vehículos which gives details of reg no. make, model etc has dates of last ITV and due date of next ITV.
Before handing over the rest of the money go with the current owner to a gestor who will check for any outstanding finance payments, unpaid fines, unpaid car tax etc. These all stay with the car so you could be buying the debts.
Also agree who is paying the gestor's costs for the transfer.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:34 pm

A young spanish lady rung my door bell about four hours ago and handed me my car tax bill. it says relacion de deudores 21.11.2008 principal 51.12 euros 10%rec. reducido 5.11 euro importe total 56.23 euros. blimey you could of knocked me down with a feather, i read this thread this morning, then i sat outside airport this afternoon ,waiting for a feind to land, (best way he bells me when he is out side ,up top), then i just within two minutes pick him up,so while i was sitting in the car, i went through me car papers, and saw i had last paid 7th november 2007, so on monday i will go and pay for last year and if possible this year too, funny old life ain't it,ohh and if you turn this form over its written in english, you can send email with all info to , [email protected] .it says further more if your taxes are paid by direct debit they will receive a 5% discount

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:12 am

ken2 wrote:... if you turn this form over its written in english, you can send email with all info to , [email protected] .it says further more if your taxes are paid by direct debit they will receive a 5% discount
That must be local to Mijas. Certainly not true for Velez Malaga. :(
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

alba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alba » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:32 am

Thanks Gerryh, have noted the requirements and will take them with me when I purchase.
Alba