log burner Vs. Open fire

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
pilgrim2
Resident

log burner Vs. Open fire

Postby pilgrim2 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:51 am

What are the pros and cons

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: log burner Vs. Open fire

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:17 am

An open fire is very inefficient as most of the heat goes up the chimney and all you get in the room is radiant heat - nice though that is!

An enclosed log burner is more controllable as you can control the incoming air. Many of the wall inserted ones have a fan which passes cold room air around the hot metal casing and back out into the room. On some models this can be ducted to other rooms.

I am sure there are other pros and cons but that is my experience having used both types here in Spain.

Sid

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:47 am

When we fitted our log burner the Spanish neighbours were very impressed with the heat output and decided to have a log burner put in. Their living room and the whole of the house was very warm. Before that they only had the under the table heater. Then another neighbour who has built his own house had an open fireplace built, it looks lovely. The neighbours decided to change the log burner to an open fire, which looks lovely. They now have to sit almost in the fire to get the heat from the fire and the bedrooms are now not kept warm (they are off the living room)
So going by the comparison with the neighbours log burner (just a very basic one) and their new open fire, for looks the open fire is nicer (their log burner was ugly) but the log burner was far better at heating the house.
We live in a bungalow type house, and if we have a good fire going in the log burner the whole of the house gets warmed from the heat coming off the fire, as long as we leave the bedroom doors open :D

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:03 pm

Another major advantage (to me) of a logburner is that you can light the fire, pop round the corner to the Chinese, have a nice meal, and come home to a warm house. No spitting bits of logs flying all round the room. Similarly it does not have to be put out when you go to bed.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:21 pm

Our open fire created a lot of smoke (in the room - we were kippered :lol: ) and no heat. I agree with the other posters, an enclosed woodburner every time, not only for the heat output and controlability (is that a word?? :? ) but safety too.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:24 pm

We have one of each and I prefer the open fire. May use a bit more wood on the open one but it is warmer. I have never found log fires adequate, my own nor in any other house I have visited. Although Alan's point about going out is a good one.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:49 pm

I thought none of us could afford to out any more? :wink:

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:22 pm

Definitely the wood burner! We had an open fire for about 2 days before we got the wood burner installed! The open fire only heated the immediate area, and was somewhat smoky! The wood burner has the electric fan as el cid describes, and gives a lovely ambient temperature throughout, though in these extra cold days recently, we have additionally turned on our econoheat wall heaters. :D And like Alan said, you can go out for a few hours, knowing its safely left, coming back to a warm house. :D

(and if you do decide to buy one Pilgrim, let me know...i can advise where NOT to purchase one from, around here)! :wink:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:23 pm

Cheaper to go out than burn those logs :D

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:53 pm

Cheaper to go out than burn those logs
I am afraid that I am seriously profligate; I go out and leave the fire on. :oops:

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:46 pm

karandjon wrote:The wood burner has the electric fan as el cid describes, and gives a lovely ambient temperature throughout
We have a large glassfronted fire set into the wall, when the fire is blazing the fan comes on automatically and other times we can switch it on (but only when the fire is alight otherwise it just blows out cold air) - does anybody know how much this costs to run? It does a lovely job of distributing the heat from the fire through vents in the front casing and also the chimney breast further up but I'm worried I will be clocking up a huge electricity bill :?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:53 pm

redsoxbrit wrote: does anybody know how much this costs to run? ?
Fans are very low in consumption - the one in the fire is probably the same as a dim light bulb - maybe 25 watts.

Sid

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:51 pm

Thanks Sid, good to know we can use it freely - one less thing to worry about :wink:

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Sids right. We turn it on before it automatically cuts in and it works a treat. If you watch the electric meter whilst it is on, you can hardly tell the difference from when it is on to when it is off!
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:01 am

Just stumbled across an article where it says that a woodburner is approx. 10 times more efficient than an open fire.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/gre ... -home.html

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:25 am

Many thanks for all your replies, a wood burner it is then :D

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:54 pm

I was in the neighbours living room today and the open fire was going and we had to sit right up to the fire to get any heat- I ame back, opened the front door (straight into the living room) and the heat hit me! Our log burner any time :D

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:06 pm

I find it weird how you are always in your neighbours in all the posts :shock:

aidan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby aidan » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:12 pm

Does the log-burner have to be unconcealed to get the benefit of the heat. I mean is it best to have it 'Free Standing', or do they work just as well set in an open fireplace?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:12 pm

katy wrote:I find it weird how you are always in your neighbours in all the posts :shock:
She sneaks in to sit by their fire when they go out :wink: