For ? press 1

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

For ? press 1

Postby wagon ropes » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:18 pm

Twice recently I have found myself trying to ring a number where you have to press 1 or 2 or whatever for the desired information. On both occasions I have been using a mobile phone and also on both occasions the 'press 1' didn't work. I just kept getting the same message. Is it my phone or is it me or is it not possible to use these type of call centres from a mobile? Help!
Life is 'ard den you die!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: For ? press 1

Postby country boy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:34 am

It's a good question. I phoned the Pension service the other day and had to press "1" for the service I required and all that happened was that "1" appeared in the display window of the phone but nothing else, so I pressed the green button and got cut off immediately Image.
How does one do this from a mobile?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:42 am

Go into the 'Settings' menu and make sure that 'DTMF' tone is activated. Select 'Long' if you have the option.

You should be able to hear the DTMF tone when you press the buttons on the keypad rather than just the same monotone beep.
Let's go Brandon!

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:20 pm

Thanks for that Beach. I have had a good rummage in the settings menu but have not yet found reference to the DTMF tone. Probably me being thick as I don't seem to be able to get my head round all the options. :roll: I will continue to rummage but, if all else fails, our son is visiting in Feb. and I expect he will be able to explain all in simple terms. :D

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:57 pm

What is the make and model of the telephone? Can you hear DTMF tones when you press the digits?
Let's go Brandon!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:24 pm

I don't have a "DMTF" option on my Samsung SGH-Z150 phone. No mention of it in the manual.
What does the DMTF tone sound like?

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:29 pm

The DTMF tone is like a dual tone chord. If you pick up the handset of a normal landline telephone and press the buttons you will hear the DTMF tone which is slightly different for each digit including * and #.

Check page 29 of your manual under 'Using In-call Options':

Send DTMF: send the DTMF (Dual tone multi- frequency) tones as a group. The DTMF tones are the tones used in phones for tone dialling, sounding when you press the number keys. This option is helpful for entering a password or an account number when you call an automated system, like a banking service.
Let's go Brandon!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:59 am

Hi Beachcomber.
Didn't understand that bit in the manual. :(
Tried it on a call to my wife's mobile.
Can only be selected during a call and have to type each number into an onscreen box and press send.
Doesn't seem particularly user friendly to me. :(
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:45 am

No, I agree. It's not much use when you are asked to press 1 for this and 2 for that. You can download a DTMF tone generator and play the tones from the computer speakers into the telephone but this is just as cumbersome and you need to be in front of a computer when you make the call.

Sorry but apart from that I'm right out of suggestions.
Let's go Brandon!

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:50 am

Hurrah, I've done it. Thanks for all the help. I didn't find any refference to DTML but I found a 'loud' option in 'style' in the settings menu, so I selected that and, lo and behold, it worked :D

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:57 am

Beachcomber you are marvelous...Thank you.Image
PS Are you any good at the lottery numbers, could do with a bit of help in that department too :wink:

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:06 am

I've just thought, I didn't say how I tested it. I 'phoned the British Consulate in Malaga. You just get an endless procession of pre-recorded messages :roll: on their phone so you can test away without risking having to explain to a 'real' person why you are calling :lol:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:21 am

country boy wrote:PS Are you any good at the lottery numbers, could do with a bit of help in that department too :wink:
Well, not lottery numbers but I bought a load of Barclays shares a few days ago for 50 pence now they have already gone back up to £1. Image

Glad you have worked it out Wagon Ropes, sorry I couldn't help Gerry.
Let's go Brandon!