Should we take big electric goods to spain??

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
casita-bonita
Resident

Re: Should we take big electric goods to spain??

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:05 pm

Do any of these electrical stores in the Malaga, Velez, Nerja areas have websites advertising their wares as Comet Dixons and the like do over here. Trying to decide whether I should make car space for our freezer when we come over next month or cram in other items.
Regards

Bob

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:49 am

put the items in the freezer
jayne countys most famous song,google it

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:26 am

frog wrote:put the items in the freezer
That would be the plan, but I have a new home cinema system in it's box and I don't think that will fit either inside the freezer, or alongside/ontop of it in the back of the 4x4.

If I have to make a choice between the two the freezer loses :-)
Regards

Bob

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:58 am

I hope you have thought about the back speakers when you bought your system casita-bonita: there are no carpets to tuck wires under here, so you need either wire-free (like the Philips system we bought), dig out channels and retile the floor, or risk going base over apex every so often when you trip on the wires!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:31 am

peteroldracer wrote:I hope you have thought about the back speakers when you bought your system casita-bonita: there are no carpets to tuck wires under here, so you need either wire-free (like the Philips system we bought), dig out channels and retile the floor, or risk going base over apex every so often when you trip on the wires!
Oh yes, that's why I'm leaving my current 7.1 system at home in storage and have bought a new 2.1 system for the Casita. Be interesting to see just how well it fakes the rear channels.
Regards

Bob

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:57 am

katy wrote:Washers/driers, Fridge freezers, TV's are cheaper in the UK (fact) Probably everything else too.
Katy, I have just read this headline,
Internet users say ADSL in Spain is the most expensive and slowest in Europe
Reading this forum over the years, people would have us believe that everything was as cheap as chips in Spain, and now you add even more things to the list that aren't! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:07 pm

websites advertising their wares
here is one if you want more google with...electrodomesticos malaga
http://www.juanlucas.com/img_pag/folleto/folleto.html
ADSL in Spain is the most expensive and slowest in Europe
What does one pay in UK ???
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:10 pm

Just last night I received an email from our Spanish ISP saying that from 1st April they will reduce the prices of our 2Mb WDSL from 39 euros to 29 euros a month. Here in Basingstoke I pay £21.27 plus VAT for an ADSL connection that on a good day is only 1.3 Mb. So not so different
Regards

Bob

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:20 pm

casita-bonita wrote: Here in Basingstoke I pay £21.27 plus VAT for an ADSL connection that on a good day is only 1.3 Mb. So not so different
You sound happy with that, so that's good, but I know I wouldn't be. ;-) I pay £13.99 total for an 8mb connection, unlimited downloads, plus 500 mins free phone calls a month.
This was the quote, perhaps it's working, they are listening and dropping their prices.
The Spanish Association of Internet Users has complained about the slowing growth rate of ADSL and cable connections in the country, and called for price reductions. They claim the Spanish ADSL is the slowest and most expensive in Europe.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:34 pm

frank wrote:
casita-bonita wrote: Here in Basingstoke I pay £21.27 plus VAT for an ADSL connection that on a good day is only 1.3 Mb. So not so different
You sound happy with that, so that's good, but I know I wouldn't be. ;-) I pay £13.99 total for an 8mb connection, unlimited downloads, plus 500 mins free phone calls a month.
This was the quote, perhaps it's working, they are listening and dropping their prices.
The Spanish Association of Internet Users has complained about the slowing growth rate of ADSL and cable connections in the country, and called for price reductions. They claim the Spanish ADSL is the slowest and most expensive in Europe.
I wouldn't say that I'm happy paying £21 + VAT but it at the time I took the contract it offered me a facility that I needed and the bargain triple play packages from the likes of Sky didn't/don't have, a fixed IP address. Now I don't need the fixed address I could transfer and pay less but given that we are imminently moving full time to Spain and renting our UK house and the ADSL contract will be canceled anyway. It is in theory an 8Mb service but of course this is subject to distance from the exchange and the line quality. The best speed that my modem ever negotiates is around 1.3Mb and a change of ISP probably wouldn't change that.
Regards

Bob

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:17 pm

there are lots of offers now for cheap adsl ono are advertising 6mb for 11€..I pay 29€ 3 mb with free national calls.. suits me
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:34 pm

We pay 39.99 plus IVA from Telefoníca, includes mainland calls. Not the cheapest but everyone who has used their competitors have had dreadful problems. A friend in the UK has just gone over to SKY and she says it is very cheap. My Daughter is with BT and she says it is low priced as it includes free calls anytime to Spain.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:36 pm

We did ours with vodafone in the UK as we have our mobiles with them and they knock a bit off. Pay £25 a month for line rental, all calls and broadband. Speed usually about 4mb. Very happy with it,

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:41 pm

Should add that we also have line rental on top of this. My bill is rarely less than 80E monthly and I don't use it for overseas calls. Most of my calls are on the mobile.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:42 pm

No.
Dave

mi_tampoco
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mi_tampoco » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:22 pm

Looking at my old removals quotes (12 months old) the various companies wanted around £90 to £120 per cubic metre for removals Hants/Surrey border to Almeria.

For the purposes of this exercise I would approximate a washing machine as 1 cu mtr and a fridge freezer as 2 cu mtr. So a washing machine = £90 minimum to relocate, the fridge freezer twice that.

The prices shown on juanlucas.com (from above post) don’t look that bad compared to shipping from the UK.

Without nitpicking too much as to the exact size of an item and how cheap you can get removals, this rough calculation should help in decision making as to ‘take or not take’.

I wouldn’t bother to move a refrigeration unit any distance. Our experience is that once they’ve run a year or two they don’t take to being moved around, and on relocation will malfunction quicker than a high street bank.

hth

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:11 am

I wouldn’t bother to move a refrigeration unit any distance. Our experience is that once they’ve run a year or two they don’t take to being moved around, and on relocation will malfunction quicker than a high street bank
maybe advise people not to turn them on for 24 hours to let the oil in the compressor settle might help
jayne countys most famous song,google it

Big Col
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Big Col » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi there

like other posts on this subject, if you have a old washing machine, Fridge freezer, Dryer, even a old fashioned box TV every thing you take to Spain will use up your space on a Van or if using a Big removal company with containers all white goods are cubic mtrs which if paying £100 to £300 a cube adds up to a lot. large removal companies make money in selling you cubes of space, Smaller cos like ourselves will send you a 21 cubic van and you fill it up for one price whether you fill it or not.

So if you have new white goods take them, if your white goods are old, then leave them behind and buy new over here.

That gos with a sofa if its old or may need replacing then leave it behind and Buy new in Spain.

Beds that diferent !!If you like your bed then take it as its hard to replace a good mattress.

I once was loading the removal van, and 3 or 4 really light boxes came out, In all maybe a cube!!

all coat hangers!!!

and Im amazed in the amount of Lawnmowers I bring to Spain :lol: :lol: :lol:

The items to bring over are your personal items ordements, furniture, anything that makes you you and your family and your home your own.

all the best for your move

Big Col

Big Col
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Big Col » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:35 pm

Regards to refrigeration as Frog said,
You have to be carefull ,do not let anyone lay it down and make sure thats its kept up right when manhandled.

Fridges and freezers have to be handle with care, and when put in place do not turn them on for 24 hrs.

Col