Most scenic or nicest drive to Spain.

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Most scenic or nicest drive to Spain.

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:57 am

We bought a replacement car late last year to take to Spain which we've not done yet. We're flying across in June so will now probably take it in September.

Question is , to get to Andalucia from Calais which route would offer the best opportunity for a nice 3 or 4 day journey in your opinion?.
I've done the Calais-Paris-Bordeaux-Burgos-Madrid-Granada route 3 times now, always with a mate and in a 24 hour hour blur, this time OH wants to accompany me and make a holiday of it as she's never seen France.

I'm thinking of switching the route and heading for the Pyrenees, past Barcelona and down the coast to Andalucia.

Anyone done the both routes and care to comment?

Just to say on the Bordeaux runs I've done so far they've as I say been mad dashes to get to Malaga to pick OH up off plane and as such have been Motorway/toll runs and quite boring........would the B roads on this route be as nice a drive as the Pyrenees run?..........never done that route since I was a kid with my mum and dad and from what I can recall it was breathtaking?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

DA
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

anis
Resident

Re: Most scenic or nicest drive to Spain.

Postby anis » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:15 am

" I'm thinking of switching the route and heading for the Pyrenees, past Barcelona and down the coast to Andalucia." quote DA

I would love to go that route and it should be OK weatherwise to do so in June from what I've heard and read. A friend of ours goes that way in his camper van and says it's beautiful. He stops overnight there. He's done the same route in winter but swears never again. He was snowed in and roads were impassable.

We hope to go camping in the Pyrenees area soon. We have researched it and everything sounds the way we would like it to be, plus we are running out of new camping venues. :)

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:45 am

Devils Advocate wrote:We bought a replacement car late last year to take to Spain which we've not done yet. We're flying across in June so will now probably take it in September
DA

Hope it´s going to be made legal here :roll: :wink:

We did the Pyrenees bit last November, it was a good drive

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:27 am

You can sleep easy Olive. It's legal for Spain now :idea:

DA
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:19 am

That's a relief :wink: was going to put on a link to about 59 threads regarding UK cars :lol:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:57 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:You can sleep easy Olive. It's legal for Spain now :idea:

DA
Phew! :lol:

jp williams
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jp williams » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:52 pm

katy wrote:That's a relief :wink: was going to put on a link to about 59 threads regarding UK cars :lol:

Please do.I would like to read it.

Regards
john
JP

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:57 am

Yes we did that trip once around Easter . Very good driving and stopped in Cahors one night before going throuogh the pyranees. Been wanting to go back to Cahors ever since, there was a lovely 12 th century bridge there if I remember right. All in all it was a lovely drive took us nearly a week but we had a couple fo days on the coast south of Denia to relax also.

Fred

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Drive to Barcelona and go by Motorail. Sit back and let the train take the strain.
Dave