moving to uk cos we "want" to, not "need" to

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
maddy
Andalucia.com Amigo

moving to uk cos we "want" to, not "need" to

Postby maddy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:48 pm

well, we have checked out the coast-line as far as we have wanted now, and have still not found what we were looking for(for those remembering our travels in our motorhome up bilbao way).

we went back to england to visit family and found we loved it there.it was a very different area to where we previously lived, and it made us realise "england" isnt just like the busy smoggy city area we previously lived in.it is also scenic,quiet,pretty.

in lieu of that we have decided to go across and search for a house there.

can anyone point me in the right direction on a few things....

* any nice counties (am thinking devon, cornwall & lincolnshire) - any pros or cons with these?

* my children were born here in spain.will i be able to claim child benefit for them once living in england.?

* what benefits could i claim once living there?(it is just me and my kids now as hubby has recently left.i wouldnt be working as one is just a baby but i have enough money to buy a house outright and enough to live on for a few years)

* how to unregister from spain ie residency ect?i have a laminated card and also a spanish driving permit.

* anything else i need to think about to make this as relatively smooth for my kiddies as pos?

Does anyone think i am mad? we love it here in areas in spain, but we also love it in areas in england too.we sold our house here in tabernas and are in a position to buy as soon as we see.my thinking is that if we can find a semi-rural bungalow in england,not residential,20mins to coast,then thats ideal as we can travel in our car to visit family without the cost and planning of flights.

sorry for long post and thankyou for reading if you have managed to get this far.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Re: moving to uk cos we "want" to, not "need" to

Postby julian » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:38 pm

if you prefer what you have seen in the UK then you´re certainly not mad to move there !!

maddy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby maddy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:14 pm

hello julian. thank you for replying. i dont prefer what i have seen in the uk, i like it just as much as spain. no more.no less. especially now i have seen areas outside of where i used to live (rochdale).
i didnt realise england meant places like devon and cornwall :oops:

lincolnshire is where i have some good friends, but i have not visited that county yet.

has anyone been/live in lincolnshire area? i would be looking at no more than 30mini n from the coast (am not ready to leave the sea aspect yet)

Thankyou,

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:54 am

Maddy welcome back,I havent seen you on here for a while~ :wave:

You will be able to claim child benefit for both of them once resident back in the UK providing they are under 16(think thats the correct age :? )

Good luck with wherever you decide to live.Your children will be happy if you are :thumbup:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:08 am

Maddy, I would not class Lincolnshire as beautiful. Norfolk, Suffolk would be better if you want to be on the north sea or further up into yorkshire. Before all the people from Lincolnshire get on there high horse this is only my opinion.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:48 pm

House prices in Lincolnshire are generally quite low - lower than Norfolk anyway. Plenty of fens and dykes, but I think it would be hard to get a decent sea location as Costakid says. It is a very flat county with acres of agricultural land - great place for growing veg and tulips ( Spalding ) !
I quite like the place until I get stuck behind a sugar beet lorry :lol:
I know several expats who have moved there because of the lower housing costs.
If you want good sea views, Norfolk is lovely but again, the nearer the coast, the higher the prices.
Norfolk is still reasonably priced though, cheaper than Devon and Cornwall.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:28 pm

I agree on the whole with anis' comments about areas, with a couple of provisos. My daughter in law lives about 20 miles outside Lincoln, and she works (drives and train) all over the country. She has found it pretty good for getting about from there. We've been stuck behind far more tractors in Norfolk than Lincolnshire. I have a cousin in Cromer whom I visit quite regularly. Whilst I love Norfolk, it's a pig to get anywhere from. No good roads at all. Nearest airport is Norwich, but you can't fly anywhere much from there. Lincolnshire gives you a choice (don't know if that's an issue for you Maddy). Property is cheaper in Lincolnshire than Norfolk. Don't know about schooling in Norfolk, but there are some very good schools around Lincoln (two teenage grandaughters going to different ones, but both very good).

Personally I would avoid living in a tourist area (can't count Cromer!). Having said that, if you want to be near coast that is probably always going to be an issue. Good luck where ever you end up. Have you looked on rightmove to give you an idea of property and prices?
AlisonB

maddy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby maddy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:21 pm

thankyou to all who have replied. princess peach:thanks for letting me know i can clain the child benefit for my children.do you know how i go about this or a web page to look at?
thanks to those for information on lincolnshire.it sounds idyllic.

now,does anyone have any further information of if i am entitled to anything else,or how i go about relinquishing my spanish documents (residence and driver permit)?

alisonb:can you tell me which schools are good in lincoln and how i can find this information online?

thankyou once again.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:54 pm

This is the link to the government's school performance tables. Like them or not, if you're moving to an area you don't know, they at least give you an idea.

The two schools I know are De Aston in Market Rasen and Queen Elizabeth's Grammar in Horncastle (there are 2 with same name fairly close together). The latter has much better academic performance, but both grandaughters have turned out with good qualifications from each of them.

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/performancetable ... s_09.shtml
AlisonB

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:13 pm

thanks for letting me know i can clain the child benefit for my children.do you know how i go about this or a web page to look at?
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/

This link below would also apply to you as a person with children just arriving back in UK

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/sta ... als-uk.htm

Maddy if you can,contact citizens advice online

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

they are a free UK advice service who will tell you everything and anything that you are entitled to. :thumbup:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:28 pm

Best to check this site ...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentc ... DG_4000140

In addition, this may be of interest ...
In practice, even if you come from one of these (EU) countries, you won't automatically get benefits. For example, if you’re an EEA jobseeker who has never worked in the UK, you won't be able to claim benefits like Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Child Benefit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit. But if you're an EEA worker who has been employed in the UK before becoming unemployed, you might be able to claim benefits whilst you’re looking for new work. This depends on which EEA country you're from and how long you've worked in the UK.

The rules about claiming benefits abroad are very complicated and you should get help from an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau.
Dave

maddy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby maddy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:39 pm

thank you for the link mowser but as i said i am not going to be claiming or trying to claim job seekers allowance.

i will claim family allowance and i will look up to see if there is any thing else i can claim that is due to me thanks to earlier links kindly provided.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:26 pm

Maddy. I think you will see that Mowser's quote incuded Child Benefit, which I believe you will be claiming. It also says "might" be able to claim.

You could do worse than contacting the approriate department in UK to check it out, in case it affects your decision.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:26 am

Mowser

I think you ought to send your paragraph to the UK gov, because I can assure you I know of at least half a dozen Spainish people claiming benefits immediatly upon arrival in the UK, also if interested read this forum www.megustamanchester.co.uk thats one of many place were everybody tells everybody how to go about claiming on arrival.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:39 am

This topic of non-UK citizens claiming benefits has been discussed many times before. Mowser's quote, which is from a Government web site, is spot on. Using a Spaniard as an example, he/she cannot automatically claim benefits on arrival in UK.

BUT, there are always ways round these rules. As soon as they register as seeking work, then they become entitled. They don't have to have a job, just be registered as seeking one.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:56 am

www.megustamanchester.co.uk

Looks like it should be www.megustamanchester.com
I read a London one, and yes there is lots about how to claim what.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:00 am

I think you ought to send your paragraph to the UK gov
Actually I did. I brought to their attention the anomaly of UK v EU "rights." Their response? Here is the email I received in response to this:-
If you have information about individuals accessing NHS healthcare fraudulently, you may wish to contact the NHS Counter Fraud Service. The website address, which has contact details and instructions as to how to report suspected fraud, is http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/fraud.
I hope this reply is helpful.
Yours sincerely,

Lynsey Morton
Customer Service Centre
Department of Health
Dave

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:22 am

i could always stay in spain so as not to have to pay 1200pounds council tax.
Maddy, im sure as a single Mum living with 2 children,you will most probably be entitled to some reduction on that amount... minimum of 25% reduction,if you sign on it will all be paid from what i believe. :wink: :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:46 am

Our previous Gardener's son and a group of friends went to Brighton. Signed on as looking for work. Not only did they receive app. £40+ per week each, they rented flats and got full housing benefit and free English language courses at the local college. All legal too! Spanish youth who have not paid into the spanish system get nothing! Their parents are expected to support them even if they are in their twenties.

maddy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby maddy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:56 pm

princess peach:i have been reading all the information you have given me with interest.one question i have is is the child benefit like the winter fuel allowance in that once we claim for it then that is it til they are 16?is it paid into my bank account and then if in a few years we decide to come back to spain we still get it?