Bike license

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Re: Bike license

Postby princess peach » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:38 pm

nevermind eh!If id have thought about it sooner i wouldve done my bike test beofre exchanging my Gib licence.Not to worry.If it comes to it,i will do my bike test when i get back to UK to live,then i can steal one of my Dads 3 bikes...he cant ride em all! :thumbup:

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:42 am

Nice!

I have been looking at the list of bikes that I could potentially get with the new A2 license which only allows upto 47.5 BHP and power can be no more than 0.2kw/kilo.

I think so far I have noarrowed it down to a TDM900 or CBF600 (according to reliability and price) as most others on the list are too expensive , have questionable reliability, or are not what I need out of a bike. It´s a shame as there are bikes there which I love the look of and would prefer but probably won´t do the job that I need it to do - especially as it is my only form of transport.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:27 am

Blondie,both your choices are beautiful looking bikes.
When i lived in UK my Dad gave me his CBR 600,he dropped it on a roundabout and didnt want anything more to do with it.I shouldve kept it,but as i didnt have a licence i sold it to a guy and used the money to pay off my rather large next directory bill :oops: I wish id kept it,I used to sit on it in the garage and dream! 8)

My Dad then went onto a fireblade which he didnt keep for very long,then he bought an R1,and then another R1 (which him and my son turned into a streetfighter at xmas)and he also has a beautiful lime green KTM,out of the 3 i think he prefers to ride the KTM,he says its great fun.
Hes getting too old to ride the sports bikes(61 lol)so i know that if and when i go home he will give me one to either ride(if im legally able to)or sell it and buy a bike i want. :thumbup: Then you have the problem of never being out on them in UK because of the bad weather. :evil:
Hopefully i can sort out something for my bike test here.My little 50cc drives me nuts :crazy:

Would you go for a brand new bike Blondie or second hand?

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:24 am

Sounds like a nice list of bikes he had there. I personally wouldn´t go for a sports bike as I cant imagine them being comfortable on a long ride - plus Id be scared to ride in that hunched over position.

If you have had a car license for over a certain amount of years you can ride a 125 in Spain you know?

Im going second hand, cant afford new and I think bikes keep better over here with the good weather anyway.

dawncl
Tourist

Postby dawncl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:45 am

Hello
Very interested in the last post!!!!! it may solve all my problems regarding expensive car rental on my trips to spain.
I have had a UK driving License since 1981, does that mean i could get a 125 moped and drive it in spain without doing a test? and if so approximately how much would the insurance be? can you buy a moped if you are not resident. I have an NIE number.
Regards

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:37 pm

No, you need a Spanish car licence to avail of this.
By the way a moped is a two wheeler of less than 50cc with a maximum design speed of 45 kph.
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:43 pm

My wife knows where there is a very reliable K75s with extras for sale if anyone is interested.

Mhic.

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:55 pm

Hi Dawn,

well I have a car license from the 1990´s and have been driving a 125 for over 3 years with no problems - even been stopped and didn´t cause any issues.

I do know that they are changing the law over here with regards to bike licenses whcih incluses 125´s but I am not sure if this will affect this loophole......

You could buy a moped no problem here - a lot of brits own spanish vehicles here who don´t actually live here.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:43 pm

Colinm wrote:No, you need a Spanish car licence to avail of this.
By the way a moped is a two wheeler of less than 50cc with a maximum design speed of 45 kph.
Are you sure about this Colin?

Since holders of UK licences are subject to the same rules as Spanish licence holders I cannot see why, if you have held a class B UK licence for 3 years, that you cannot drive a 125cc on that basis.

Sid

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:30 pm

Sounds like a nice list of bikes he had there. I personally wouldn´t go for a sports bike as I cant imagine them being comfortable on a long ride - plus Id be scared to ride in that hunched over position.
Blondie my Dad is 61,they cant be comfy for him to ride at his age.. :lol: Thats why im incouraging him to hang onto them till i get home,then i can kill myself on one!.I know they kill his back,i think thats why he prefers the KTM.Theres a big group of them go out on dry weekends in UK and he often goes out on his KTM,more comfy i expect.

I was also under the impression i could ride upto a 125cc,i even got my son to show the police my licence and ask them if i could ride a 125,they said no problems :?

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:48 pm

Well I know for fact that it has been legal all these years, I am just not sure whether it is changing now - maybe a question for the Law in Spain part of this forum???

However if it is not changing you can definitely drive up to a 125cc as long as it does not pass 11Kw power(I would check that Kw bit, I cant remember)

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:36 pm

my understanding was that your european issued licence was valid in any other european country but only for the classes issued. Each individual country then has certain internal rules, regulations and deregations, which do not apply to a licence from another eu country. So, a 'B' category licence (for a car), issued in the UK or Ireland could only be used for a car. You would need a 'A' or 'A1' licence to ride a two wheeler. If you changed this licence to a Spanish licence, then you would have the benefits of the Spanish system and be able to ride a 125cc.
The soon to be introduced 'third driving licence directive' will sort out all the problems! (yeh, right!).

Maybe I am wrong, especially in light of the opinion offered by various police depts. They are the experts :oops:
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:08 pm

Hello Princess Peach I don't want to burst your bubble but if you have a UK photos card licence it will be noted on the back that you passed your test in Gib, if that is the case the Spanish DGT will not recognise your licence. I too had a UK licence but passed my motorcycle test on the Isle of Man and the Trafico will not recognise this bike pass, the car part is OK because I passed that in the UK. Check with your insurance company if your licence is valid. There is a long thread about this in "You and the Law in Spain."

Also to the lady who said she would have to go back to the UK to take her bike test because of the language barrier if she is resident here then again the DGT will not recognise her pass, again there is a thread about this in "You and the law in Spain."

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:38 pm

i just paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassed!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:29 am

but if you have a UK photos card licence it will be noted on the back that you passed your test in Gib
:thumbdown: oh nooooooooo.you are correct it is noted on the back that i passed my car test in Gib.I will check if my licence is valid.Thanks.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:29 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congratulations to you Blondie!!Well done :thumbup:

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:55 am

Looking at this one, looks nice!
http://www.friday-ad.es/AdRef/EI952K79H ... etails.asp

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:06 am

Nope,horrible horrible horrible. :(
you cant buy that...stop teeeeeeeeeeeasing me!!!! :lol: im sooooooooooo jealous!!!
you are so lucky! :thumbup:

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:14 pm

Princees Peach when you've checked the validity of your licence please let us know the result. I'm currently getting the evidence together to try and fight this ruling. The DGT website states "where the licence is issued," which in your case and mine is the UK, it does not state where you passed your test. A lawyer is looking into this for me. As soon as I know the result I'll let you know.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:44 pm

Oh thanks TerryC,look forward to hearing what you come up with.I have been stopped by the policia a few times,they have looked at my licence,i even knocked on one policemans door(he lives in my street)to ask if i was o.k riding a 50cc moto,he said no probs,but like you say,my insurance might not be valid. :?
Also to the lady who said she would have to go back to the UK to take her bike test because of the language barrier if she is resident here then again the DGT will not recognise her pass, again there is a thread about this in "You and the law in Spain."
That was me also TerryC,I would take my bike test if i left spain and went back to the UK to live permanently.I was thinking a while ago to go back for a short break and do my bike test,but decided that would be hassle.So i just have to put up with Blondie teasing me. :crazy: