San Roque Region

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
snaj1

San Roque Region

Postby snaj1 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:05 pm

Hi
We are visiting San Roque in Spain in Mid-June and will be hiring a car. I have a few questions and wondered if any of you would be so kind as to offer their opinions, good and bad

1) We're flying into Malaga and staying at San Roque Golf Course. How long will it take to drive?
2) Where is the nearest beach and is it nice, and what is the weather like in Mid-june
3) Any restaurant recommendations in the area
4) Are there any points of interest to visit. ie medieval castles,old towns.

Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated as we are first time visitors to this area.

Regards

Snaj1 :thumbup:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Re: San Roque Region

Postby princess peach » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:38 pm

Hello,
First of all The drive from Malaga to San Roque should take anything from an hour plus depending on whether you take the toll roads,which are much safer(will cost you about E10 each way at that time of year)and quieter than using the coast road.Most people use the coast road as they dont want to pay.

Cant really answer the rest of your questions,San Roque golf course/hotel is meant to be very nice.
Im not sure where the nearest beach will be.I tend to stay away from that direction as its very near Cepsa.I would say you are better off venturing to Alcaidesa or Santa Margarita beach than going round San Roque way.
You are also about 20mins drive from Gibraltar which is worth a quick visit,just to say youve been :?

Oh and Mid June is scorching,so youll get a nice tan. :thumbup:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:08 pm

We stayed and played at the course two years ago...it was a great course and a good Hotel. Valderrama is close if you are a golfer. Nearest beach is close to Sotogrande (I think and about 15 mins). The marina and restaurants/bars are very pleasant. Should be lots of villages to visit, Casares is close

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:33 pm

Dont even think of not taking the toll road. Its straight (boring) but quick. Car rental ? If you have not booked then try www.hellehollis.com they operate a fair fuel policy and will collect you from the terminal and take you to the car and their office 800m away. I rented 11 times from them last year and never had a negative experience. :thumbup: For a good day out leave san roque and dive a short distance to Tarifa. Go to the Hurricane hotel on the beach and have lunch in the beach bar.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:40 pm

Personally I would give the Hurricane Hotel a miss and go to Bolonia, Roman ruins, fantastic beach and a couple of good restaurants.

snaj1

Postby snaj1 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:03 pm

Hi All
Thanks for all the advice. Keep it coming!
We want to see a lot of the area as we have a car and would like to experience the real Spain.
We love seafood as well and are really looking forward to our holiday
Thanks Again
Snaj1 :D

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:51 am

katy wrote:Personally I would give the Hurricane Hotel a miss and go to Bolonia, Roman ruins, fantastic beach and a couple of good restaurants.
The roman ruins are great but can be done with the hurricane :crazy: :crazy:

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:14 am

If memory serves, entrance to Bolognia ruins is free on showing an EU passport, at least it was a few years back.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:12 pm

Still free. A driving licence will also work.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:43 pm

"If you have not booked then try www.hellehollis.com they operate a fair fuel policy "
And if you know some kind soul, they might give you their Friends and Families number, and save you 15%!
But then, many won´t! Don´t ask Beachy! :lolno: Someone kindly gave me their number, but I only used it once, there are still better deals around.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?