Removals Companies

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Spanish Spitfire
Tourist

Removals Companies

Postby Spanish Spitfire » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:15 pm

Just wondering if anyone has ever used Bishops Move to move their stuff over from the UK? We're seriously considering using them as they apparently have a depot in La Linea where they can 'hold' our stuff until the house is ready - which is on an elastic deadline atm according to our PM! :crazy:
SS

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Re: Removals Companies

Postby Jool » Sat May 01, 2010 10:44 am

We used Bishop´s Move within the UK and they seemed fine but for international removals check things like storage charges, insurance etc......

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat May 01, 2010 4:08 pm

Ditto Jool.

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Wed May 05, 2010 11:13 am

We used Bishop's Move when we came out to Spain 8 years ago. They kept our furniture in store in the UK until we needed it, and then it was sent over to Spain. We had no problems with them.

Recently we have used them to move back to the UK, and I would recommend them.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Wed May 05, 2010 12:06 pm

Things may have changed, but my brush with Bishop's Move was not encouraging. As is probably normal, the house content was collected by a local company affiliated to Bishop's Move and kept in store in the UK until I asked for it. It was then loaded by Bishop's Move onto a 40ft articulated lorry with other loads from around the UK and mine was "dumped" at Malaga because the driver didn't want to attempt the drive up into the hills around Ronda. It cost me (2002 prices) another 300 Euros to get a local company to send a 7 tonne lorry to my pueblo. And all this after I warned them an artic. lorry would not be appropriate. I would say "avoid" unless you are sure the access is up to UK standards.
nil illegitimum carborundum

Roz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Roz » Wed May 05, 2010 1:52 pm

We used Movers International and found them excellent. No problem in delivering to our village of Montejaque in the Sierra de Ronda
http://www.moversint.co.uk/

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Wed May 05, 2010 3:04 pm

Spanish spitfire
where are you moving from in the UK?
i know of a good company in Greater London,depots and storage in UK and Spain.

jimbothescot
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jimbothescot » Thu May 06, 2010 1:14 pm

Access to properties is often an issue with large removal lorries.Sometimes a customer will say that they can easily get a 40ft lorry in the drive or that the Spanish builders truck gets up etc,However,a lot of the Spanish builders trucks are all short wheel based to make it easier to get access to streets in the pueblos etc.Some people mistakingly think that a large lorry can get in and in truth they have no idea how much space is needed to turn a large vehicle into a driveway.
However,if a company has been informed that a large vehicle will not get access then there is no excuse for not organising a smaller vehicle to tranship the goods to gain access to the property.
I have a 3.5 tonne Iveco Daily SWB van which I often take as well as the lorry,if I`m unsure whether the lorry will get in or not.Very often I don`t need it,but it`s much better than having to drive possibly a couple of hours to collect the van and go back.
I have heard quite a few good reports about Bishops Move and if you are getting free storage thrown in then I`d go with that.

Jimbo :wink:

Spanish Spitfire
Tourist

Postby Spanish Spitfire » Thu May 06, 2010 11:13 pm

Jimbo - thanks for the tips, am out in Spain next week so we'll ask around what the best size vehicle for the local roads will be.

Nimrod - am moving from Cambridge, UK so Greater London possibly a bit too far.

Thanks everyone for all the other replies - decision time soon..................
SS

jimbothescot
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jimbothescot » Fri May 07, 2010 5:43 pm

No problem SS,happy to oblige :wink:

Jimbo :D

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sat May 08, 2010 8:58 am

Jimbothescot does removals as well you know just in case you did not realise, his website is of the same name and no I have no connection with him just know people who have used him and been very happy.

Spanish Spitfire
Tourist

Postby Spanish Spitfire » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:29 pm

Well, this is it - hopefully the removals van is en route as they are due to deliver on Thursday 5 Aug. We fly out the day before so there isn't much room for error - I'm doubtful that it will all work out OK and get delivered when we've agreed, although OH thinks it'll be fine. If not, we'll be sleeping in the car next week! Looks like Malaga airport will be busy with security on Wednesday as apparently Michelle Obama is flying in that day too.
Wish us luck - we're moving in................ :D
SS

Big Col
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Big Col » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:10 am

Hi there all
We at Euromover only use large box vans, because 9/10 with most of the streets, and dirt tracks in spain being so narrow and with the balconies its a nighmare for 7.5 or artics to get anywhere near.

We get booked contantly by well know removal companies for porter service, where our vans are used to meet a Artic out side the villages and we transport goods from the lorry to customers new home.

Seen many a lorry get stuck, on a track,in a village,

For anyone moving make sure you get plenty of quotes,and use companies that are recomended to you, through family and freinds,
like wise this forum is a very good resourse for finding out the good bad and the ugly. :D
We marvel at some of the telephone number prices folks are quoted
Some removal companies charge by the cubic meter, and may be very compitive on their cubic price, but they will over estimate your total cubics, and of course when you get other quotes from companies quoting you given total cubics the original companie will always be cheaper!!!

its easy working out your cubics, especially if you are packing up and moving these items to you garage. mark the floor and the walls by the metre boxes with chalk , stack your items nice and tight, and save your self lots of money.Keep safe
PS just a quick thanks to all who have emailed and phoned asking about me, Im still here. and and still in the the clear, although I feel knackered with the treatment etc, but im smiling and getting bullied by the grand children daily. ( wish I was out with my drivers still, it was quieter) lol :lol: :lol:

Big col x

Big Col
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Big Col » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:23 am

Hi all :)
Somthing else I thought I mention,

Through the years Ive seen the bilbao ferry packed with removal companies vans and lorrys.

and now theres very few seen,it is a testiment that My drivers and Jimbo the scott are still busy even now in this finacial climate.

There was a old saying, and still is but dont hear it enough
you never get somthing for nothing!!!
this was true then and still true now

When you are offered free storage, nothing is free!!! , you will be paying for it, somewhere within the move price or insurance or re delivering its all within the price.

Big Col x

ladymuck
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ladymuck » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:50 am

we use st georges removals and found them excellent from start to finish and a nice genuine guy as well
which can be unusual in removals
Previously used murray harper - awful and fd removals - worse than awful
i have no connection to st georges before the usual sniping starts. but i do beleive in giving credit
where credit is due. :thumbup:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:07 am

Hi Jimbo, can you email/pm me your email/web page address, my pal is interested in a quote from you, we told her how good you were :clap: I´ve lost your adress, sorry
Ta!!

Mariposa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariposa » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:38 pm

We used Bishops Move for our original move . We gave extensive instructions not to arrive in the full heat of the day in August, also that they would need a smaller vehicle. In the event they arrived, found they could not get through with the big truck- waited several hours for small van and driver to arrive, so ended up struggling up our slope in the full heat of the day. For some strange reason they brought the light stuff up first, so by the time they got to the boxes their sweat was making the boxes disintegrate! But they did it without complaint and no extra charges. The firm we used for the later move did not follow instructions either, did not have smaller van , so we ended up doing much of the wheeling along the road on wheelbarrows etc.It was not helped by the local bus breaking down on the turning spot! There were a lot of complaints too. Basically one can only assume that males never are willing to take instructions or advice from females!

jimbothescot
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jimbothescot » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:56 pm

ladymuck wrote:we use st georges removals and found them excellent from start to finish and a nice genuine guy as well
which can be unusual in removals
Previously used murray harper - awful and fd removals - worse than awful
i have no connection to st georges before the usual sniping starts. but i do beleive in giving credit
where credit is due. :thumbup:
Ladymuck,you are quite right,I`ve travelled on the ferry with George many times and he is a very helpul young man. Not only to his customers,but to the likes of myself and other competitors,if he can help out in a situation,he will.
Well done George.

Jimbo :thumbup:

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:25 am

We used Kilmarnock Removals for our move from Scotland three years ago. OK, it isn't Cambridge and it isn't Bishops Move, but might be useful.

A large lorry picked our stuff up and we were a bit concerned about access in the village. It would have fitted but would also have closed a large part of the village when doing the delivery.

What we didn't know was that they only took the goods as far as the midlands, at which point it was passed on to another firm. They took it to Malaga where they handed it over to a another firm that was experienced in Spanish deliveries (British but based in Malaga). They arrived at the house, on time, in a Luton Transit. Perfect, apart from one lamp broken and Kilmarnock Removals insurance paid for it.

Point is, unless you ask, you don't know how your stuff will arrive (we didn't think to ask) but there are companies that are experienced in deliveries to Spain and arrange things accordingly. Although our move went smoothly, I now think it is best to check that the company you are using is experienced in household delveries in Spain and, if not, point out the problems of narrow streets, tracks etc so that they can make appropriate arrangements.

Spitfire, hope all went well!
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

lulubel
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lulubel » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:08 pm

I remember my parents moving us from Ireland to a remote farmhouse on Exmoor when we were kids. The access to the house was, and still is, terrible. It's windy, single track lanes for the last 2 miles. The lorry driver decided he could get to the end of the drive and crept up in his artic - took about half an hour, I think, so walking pace. He took a few tiles off the corner of someone's roof (which the removal firm paid for), but he got the lorry to the end of the drive. I drove buses for 3 years before I left the UK, and I don't think I could have got a coach through there. I wish we'd taken a photo of the artic at the end of the drive, because people don't believe me when I tell them!

We used West Cornwall Removals for our move from UK to Spain, and I'd recommend them to anyone. They don't just cover Cornwall, although I'm not sure how far north they go. All our stuff was looked after really well, and they weren't bothered about the last mile being on an unsurfaced road up a mountain! The price was good too.