Windows 7 Language

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Windows 7 Language

Postby Campo Steve » Tue May 04, 2010 5:12 pm

I am considering buying a new computer but haven't decided yet what to get.

It wasn't until I went into PC City that someone mentioned to me that Windows would be in Spanish and that it would cost extra to get it in English.

This was news to me as I think XP and Vista had alnguage packs already installed so you could change the language fairly easily.

I expected the initial language to be Spanish anyway, I am in Spain after all, but am a bit concerned that I won't understand error messages etc.

A little research has shown that language packs can be downloaded from Microsoft, but not for Home Premium edition.

Is there a way of getting Windows 7 Home Premium to display in English without having to pay extra for an English version?
Last edited by Campo Steve on Tue May 04, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Windows 7 Language

Postby El Cid » Tue May 04, 2010 5:19 pm

Two solutions.

Buy from Dell Spain who will let you choose the language.

Use Vistalizator http://www.froggie.sk/ which hacks the OS to allow you to use the MS language packs.

Sid

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Tue May 04, 2010 5:20 pm

I believe you have to buy the top W7 product (ultimate?) to be able to switch languages.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue May 04, 2010 5:32 pm

That's true - it is the same with Vista.

You can use LIPs - Language Interface Packs - but they just change some of the front end and you cannot apply an English LIP to a Spanish version.

The MUI Multi User Interface packs do a complete conversion but , as you say, they are only available on the Ultimate versions. I have got the Spanish MUI running on my Vista Ultimate system just to play with it. I also just use plain English Home Premium W7 which I got from Dell Spain.

Vistalizator hacks the OS to think it is the Ultimate version which allows you to install the English MUI from MS.

Sid

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue May 04, 2010 7:56 pm

The Dell option sounds interesting, but delivery to us is awkward out in the Campo.

As for Vistalizator, as that is hacking the OS to fool it into thinking it is something it isn't, is that going to slow things down or does it run "as new" once the MUI is installed?

Anyone any experience with this?

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:30 pm

I have got Windows 7. Its a Spanish registered version but in English. Speak to Peter White at the Trapiche Farmers Market.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue May 04, 2010 9:26 pm

Hi Campo Steve. Is the old Sinclair Spectrum playing up? I would suggest a multi-optional widget thingie linked to a wassit. In this way the GUI could possibly be configured to bypass the remote wifi scart lead. If you were to link this to your Commodore 64 whilst bypassing the Wii, you'll find that after running a speedtest your results should prove interesting. The Vic 24 should be abandoned as it doesn't support dual-phasing. Hope this helps.

(I know nothing)
Dave

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue May 04, 2010 9:31 pm

I bought a custom built machine from a local shop (whom I know and trust); they downloaded and installed W7 Home Premium in English from BitTorrent, but bought and paid for a genuine Spanish version - as they build machines, they can purchase OEM versions which are significantly cheaper than the retail version; they then activated and verified the English version, using the key code supplied with the Spanish pack, which works so long as the version is the same (Home Premium=Home Premium), and hey presto, you have a genuine licenced English version.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

patchdog
Resident

Postby patchdog » Tue May 04, 2010 9:34 pm

El Cid wrote:Two solutions.

Buy from Dell Spain who will let you choose the language.

Use Vistalizator http://www.froggie.sk/ which hacks the OS to allow you to use the MS language packs.

Sid
Thanks for that Sid, thats a new one to me.
Can it be used with Windows Xp

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue May 04, 2010 10:00 pm

Hi patchdog,
I think that baby is for Vista/ Windows 7 OS, ........try Google............XP language packs
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue May 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Miro

Thanks for that. I had thought about downloading a UK version but am always worried about downloaded software like that. At the end of the day it is a hacked copy and you can never be certain what you are getting. I once had a copy of Windows 98 that wasn't exactly legal and there were dodgy things in it.

I would prefer a genuine version to stand the best chance of it working properly.

I'm not dissing your local shop but am just wary of software downloaded by bittorrent.
:
:
Mowser

Thanks for the suggestions. Will I still be able to play asteroids?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue May 04, 2010 10:45 pm

I understand and agree with what you say about downloaded stuff and the reliability of the source; I was nervous about doing it this way too, but I think that during the verification process, if there is any corruption or deficiency in the installed OS it would be detected and it will not be verified as Windows Original. Anyway, I have the original Spanish version pack, so worse case scenario would have been that I just end up with a Spanish version after all; luckily, I have a perfectly working verified English version.

If I hadn't had confidence in the shop I used (positive previous experience) I doubt if I would have gone this route. Dell seems a good option if you can sort out a delivery point, but although it seems you can pretty much specify your machine how you want, I wanted a 32 bit OS and I'm not sure they offer that?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.