ANOTHER RYANAIR SCAM - BEWARE

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

ANOTHER RYANAIR SCAM - BEWARE

Postby Bongtrees » Sun May 23, 2010 2:48 pm

At great expense to myself I booked flights to Valencia for my family for this half term with Ryanair 2 months ago the price was horrendous, nearly 200 quid EACH but online booking form said only 4 seats left so I bought them.

Today another g.child decided he wanted to come so I looked online thinking there might be a cancellation and was horrified to see that prices are now 100 quid cheaper per person! I noticed it said only 4 seats left so went back to beginning and input 10 passengers and yes there was still space!
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

julian
Andalucia Guru

Re: ANOTHER RYANAIR SCAM - BEWARE

Postby julian » Sun May 23, 2010 3:40 pm

If I remember rightly it doesn´t say "only 4 seats left", it usually says something like "only 4 seats left at this price"

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun May 23, 2010 4:01 pm

Slightly off topic,I do apologise,but if you've made DYS bookings some time back start checking them 4 weeks before collecting the car.
Prices start to drop up till the time you collect the car.

wendyakemp
Resident

Postby wendyakemp » Sun May 23, 2010 5:27 pm

Just a thought...If the grandchild is under 16 they don't like them on a seperate booking unless you phone the call centre and cross reference to yours.
It saves trouble at the boarding gate.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sun May 23, 2010 5:49 pm

Ryanair don't do SCAMS. They operate a very successful business and the fares vary in price ; sometimes going up and sometimes coming down.

I booked a flight recently to Edinburgh.

It started 6 weeks before I booked at €170 return. It went up by increments to €220 about 2 weeks before I booked.

I held my nerve; booked 6 days before travelling and got it for €110.

Incidentally, they never say only x seats left; unless there is only x seats left, they always say " x seats left at this price. What's wrong with that?

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun May 23, 2010 6:32 pm

ajtg1952 wrote: I booked a flight recently to Edinburgh.
It started 6 weeks before I booked at €170 return. It went up by increments to €220 about 2 weeks before I booked.

I held my nerve; booked 6 days before travelling and got it for €110.
Good for you! however I dont have the time or inclination to play an online plane ticket booking game as if it were poker.
Its a scam........ its a deception ......... as far as I am concerned.

Thank god that most reputable companies do not play dirty like Ryanair.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun May 23, 2010 8:58 pm

I'm looking to buy tickets for London in June
From a starting price advertised at 18.69 going and 22.49 returning x 3 = 123.54 with all the extras bags taxes (none from Santander) final price £390.96
And why if you go on a sunday there are taxes but on Monday there aren't? :crazy: :crazy:

pietree
Resident

Postby pietree » Sun May 23, 2010 9:58 pm

Ive said it before, Gone off Ryan air big time, they have so many ways that they try to catch you out so that you have to pay more money.

Its ok if your a regular traveler, but even some of these get caught out, I once saw the Que to pay the extras for people that had made mistakes with their boarding passes and it was longer than the check in Que.

Not sure we can call them scammers but they definatly make it tricky and are unforgiving should you make a mistake.

Money soon fixes the problem mind.

Theres loads of other cheap airlines now, I might try one of them, not sure if they are any better though.
Thats it for now

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sun May 23, 2010 10:35 pm

Sorry Bongtrees, what I should have added is Michael often does me favours as I am his best customer !!...

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 23, 2010 10:43 pm

We flew Easyjet to Nice last weekend, £94 each return which I think is a good price. left on time and returned on time. Never ever managed to get any of the real cheapies though. I really prefer BA but if they can't get their act together, EJ will do. Never flown Ryanair as they don't really fly much from Gatwick.

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Sun May 23, 2010 11:14 pm

I agree with ajtg that Ryanair are in the business of making money, albeit sometimes unfairly with add ons, but with any travel company, airline, car hire company (or any other business for that matter), they look at demand and supply so if lots of seats are still available, then they reduce them, if there are few, they higher the price. I worked for a tour operator many years ago and the strategy was the same. One time, we had to sell a holiday to a particular destination to put bums on seats as they are always paid for in advance on a charter airline and we rang around the travel agents to tell them that today the price would be £xxx then tomorrow it would go up by say £10 and so on. We sold them all in the end!

At least now Ryanair tell you that there are only so many seats left at that fare (to make you book it quick) whereas before you didn't know, so you take your choice. If it comes down after, then that's the luck of the draw. Personally, I still find Ryanair cheaper than any other airline, it's just unfortunate they don't fly into Granada any more, so Alicante is my next choice apart from Almeria with Monarch and they are very expensive at times.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon May 24, 2010 7:21 am

if you go to a car dealer and ask for the price of a car, and then ask for aircon, alloy wheels etc ....would you then call the dealer a scammer if the price then went up?
everyone knows exactly the amount the ryanair flight costs BEFORE paying for it, so how can it be a scam?you have the choice...buy the ticket , or don´t.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon May 24, 2010 8:48 am

Look. It's very simple.

You see price. It's £200 each. Is that better (or more conveient than anyone else?

YES.

Take it. And forget about it.

NO.

Go with BA (or this week don't go 'cos the spoiled kids are throwing their rattles outta the cot.)

You see Ryanair are in business to make money - not reduce your cost of travel. And it's not a scam - it's adjusting fares to supply and demand. EVERY airline prices like this. (Although I think ezy has a price pledge but to get your money you probably spend an hour talking on their premium line.)

If you run a business you have to STUPID not to adjust prices to demand. In fact, come to think of it that's wwhy the ryanair model is being adopted by airlines across the world.

As someone else said it's well worth re checking car hire prices in the weeks before you depart. I booked last time with doyouspain 2 months before departure and booked a car (you don't actually pay until airport pick up) for €300. Trawled aroound a couple of weeks before departure and got a better specced car for €255.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon May 24, 2010 9:43 am

Hi Julian You are correct of course that in the end you know the price and you choose yes or no. The problem with Ryanair is that it takes a while to get to that final price.Their baggage cost for 30kilos is 105 euros which is quite excessive considering the cost of the flight. you example you give isn't as I see it though, It's more like they sell you a car then say if you want wheels you have to pay extra.
They charge per person for credit card payment. but one transaction costs the same for 1 person as it does for 4.
And in the end you may decide to go with them, but it does leave a bad taste in your mouth

And does anyone know why they charge taxes for one day but not another?

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Mon May 24, 2010 10:04 am

ashtondav wrote:Look. It's very simple.

Go with BA (or this week don't go 'cos the spoiled kids are throwing their rattles outta the cot.)
If only real life was like your simple solution :crazy:

The family live in Harrogate, the ONLY flights from the UK to Valencia are......
East Midlands.Ryanair
Stanstead Ryanair
Gatwick Easyjet

So no BA and no choice any more............. plus I find it ludicrous that you should label my family as spoilt.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Mon May 24, 2010 10:25 am

markwilding wrote: They charge per person for credit card payment. but one transaction costs the same for 1 person as it does for 4.
Which is another scam.

How long before passengers are forced to buy/only use a Ryanair Samsonite cabin bag 69 pounds? (recently added as an option on the online booking form). :crazy:

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon May 24, 2010 1:29 pm

Bongtrees wrote:
ashtondav wrote:Look. It's very simple.

If only real life was like your simple solution :crazy:

The family live in Harrogate, the ONLY flights from the UK to Valencia are......
East Midlands.Ryanair
Stanstead Ryanair
Gatwick Easyjet

So no BA and no choice any more............. plus I find it ludicrous that you should label my family as spoilt.
I think it was the striking cabin crew that were being referred to as spoilt brats :idea:
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon May 24, 2010 1:41 pm

markwilding wrote:.Their baggage cost for 30kilos is 105 euros
Don't quite know how you arrived at this figure Mark. 15kg is €15 (pre booked) a second bag is €35, that's €50, with just one person travelling. An overweight first bag would be €315. If two people are travelling then its 2 x €15 = €30. They charge more in July/August, as peak travel time.
http://www.ryanair.com/ie/questions/table-of-fees
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

beachbabe
Resident

Postby beachbabe » Mon May 24, 2010 2:08 pm

Facts is facts.

ALL airlines price according to demand, and remaining seats available.

ALL airline ticket prices will fluctuate, UP or DOWN according to demand and season, from 12 months before the flight to 12 hours before the flight. If the airline is operating a monopoly route (as yours seems to be) they will both fluctuate more, AND be HIGH in the first place. Once again, supply and demand.

Ryanair is 100% and absolutely, NO different to any other airline in that respect (although it is VERY different in many other respects :lol: )

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Mon May 24, 2010 2:56 pm

Colinm wrote:
markwilding wrote:.Their baggage cost for 30kilos is 105 euros
Don't quite know how you arrived at this figure Mark. 15kg is €15 (pre booked) a second bag is €35, that's €50, with just one person travelling. An overweight first bag would be €315. If two people are travelling then its 2 x €15 = €30. They charge more in July/August, as peak travel time.
http://www.ryanair.com/ie/questions/table-of-fees
1 x 1 bag 15kg max is 30 quid
2 x 15kg bags (30kgs) is 100 quid

This is for a return flight this Monday EMA to Valencia

What this all shows is that even the usually bright poster :o is confused by the Ryanair pricing :)
What hope is there for dimwits like myself?
Last edited by Bongtrees on Mon May 24, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.