safety around the pool

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
sheilap
Andalucia.com Amigo

safety around the pool

Postby sheilap » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:51 pm

We a a small community of three houses,I live there permanently with my husband my neighbor next to me lives here semi permanent and we both have the usual family members visiting through out the year. The last house is rented out by our other neighbor who lives in the u.k.
We all had a get together and the neighbor who rents was not sure if we require a fence around our pool by Law in Spain. It is a 12x8 meter pool with a depth of 1.4 m to 2.8,or do we just need a lifebuoy.We all pool into a community account for the up- keep of the ground but would this cost come out of this or would the neighbor who rents have to pay for the upgrade.

Parilla
Resident

Re: safety around the pool

Postby Parilla » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:08 am

Try www.castillotraductores.com, and in Translation Samples you should find an english translation of the Andalusian Pool Regulations; it's a direct translation from the Spanish, not somebody's doctored version of what they would like it to say !

I think you may only need to go as far as Chapter 1, where it says the regs apply only to communities with in excess of 20 dwellings.

Regards.

DavidSearl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DavidSearl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:02 pm

FROM DAVID SEARL

FOR SHEILAP AND PARILLA

Quite right, Parilla. Your sort-of Community, SheilaP, is not subject to any Andalusian regulation at all. It may be subject to a municipal regulation for any swimming pool used by more than one household, but even that is not likely.

So, do as you will. Keep in mind that drowning in swimming pools is one of the leading causes of child death in both Spain and the UK. And that tenants whose child drowns may have action against the owners for maintaining what is called in the trade, "an attractive nuisance" which means something dangerous that is attractive and is insufficiently protected from innocent intruders like children.

Good luck with it, David Searl
You and the Law in Spain

sheilap
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sheilap » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks for the reply it was a great help we will be doing maintenance on the pool and the end of this summer and will put in walk in steps hand rails and safety notices and have another chat with the neighbours as to any other safety issues that arise