Printers ?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
10RDan
Resident

Printers ?

Postby 10RDan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:41 am

Has anybody got, or used, either an Epson SX215 or Canon PIXMA MP 270 ? Would be interested to read any comments. I've read the feedback on Amazon but I always take them with "a pintch of salt", could be anybody posting them ! :think:

Also from what I can see on Amazon only the Epson has compatable cartridges available.

Cheers

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Printers ?

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:13 pm

I don't have either but a number of friends use the Epson (in various models) and are very pleased with it.

Cheap inks are easily available for the Epson and usually for Canon models. Strangely the MP270 seems to be a problem - maybe because it is fairly new.

I have a Canon Pixma 4700 - not multifunction - and it is a super printer and inks are readily available.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:23 pm

Hi 10RDan,
Like El Cid I can't help you on your specific models.
I've Canon iP 4100 and 4300 , and a couple of HP Deskjet F2180 printer/scanners . Pleased with these , the Canon models are getting on now but are still giving good service.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:30 pm

I've an Epson SX200 which I believe is very similar but doesn't have the LCD screen and am happy with it. It can be a bit slow to kick into action but I've always liked Epson printers. I use cheap cartridges here in the UK and the quality is fine for home use. The Epson is £60 and the Canon £70 in Argos , can't comment on cost in the sunny part of Europe.

10RDan
Resident

Postby 10RDan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:57 pm

I've also had Epson printers for years and like you say it can be a bit slow to start and noisy. :crazy:

I can buy, and have delivered to Spain, the Epson for £52 and the Canon for a couple of squid more.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:40 pm

If you cannot get a supply of cheap ink for the Canon - go for the Epson.

The recommended price for manufacturers ink can be almost the same as the printer cost in the first place. That's why no one in their right mind would buy a Dell, Lexmark or HP printer!

Sid

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:52 pm

Yes Cid, I also have use of a flashy Lexmark wireless printer in addition to my Epson but it's not possible to get sensibly priced cartridges for it.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:57 pm

Lexmark make good printers - they used to be the printer division of IBM. They make 70% of their profit from ink, not from the printers.

I really do not understand why Epson and Canon have not used the same technology to make it almost impossible to clone the ink cartridges - so, for the time being - they get my vote!

Sid

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:05 pm

And talking of ink cartridges - anyone in Alhaurin/Cartama area want a colour and black & white HP cartridge numbers 21 and 22 before I bin them. Bought them for F380 which went wrong and we have bought a new wireless printer.
For the small amount of printing we do I still like HP printers.