bonfire ash

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
curatokid
Resident

bonfire ash

Postby curatokid » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:39 pm

I have a pile of old bonfire ash, is this any good to dig into the garden around trees ,vegatables or flowerbeds, any help please.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: bonfire ash

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:01 pm

We always dig our bonfire ash and ash from the fireplace into the garden. Apparently it lowers the pH of the very acidic soil and makes it more friable.
Let's go Brandon!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:20 am

please don´t tell me you test the ph of your soil !!!!!! :)

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:32 am

Bonfire ash is excelent for the garden. Its is excellent source of natural Potash (and If there were bones in the fire - Phosphorus too). Especially for citrus trees

All Good Gardners know what the pH of there soil is .. either by testing or by deduction - if not, it cost you alot in loosing intolerant plants

curatokid
Resident

Postby curatokid » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:08 pm

Thanks for that, I have some citrus trees that do not produce fruit, would this ash help them to produce ? What about apples etc ?..

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:56 pm

... most certainly - it will encourage flowering, which inturn will produce fruit.

If fruiting is a problem - try using a rose type fertilizer applied when the rains start october time ...and then again march time.

Then ensure plenty of water as the fruit fills. You can ease back the watering when the fruit are full and then alow to ripen