Ryanair cabin baggage

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
littleeak
Andalucia.com Amigo

Ryanair cabin baggage

Postby littleeak » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:50 pm

Word of warning if you're travelling from B'ham airport with Ryanair.
Make sure your hand luggage will fit in their 'size checker'. Everyone's bags were checked & we had to repack one of ours so that it would fit!! I'm sure the 'size checker' is smaller than the measurements printed on the website!

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: Ryanair cabin baggage

Postby ajtg1952 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:12 am

It's not; I've checked.

Why are you so surprised? They really cannot make it any clearer. The maximum dimensions are printed on everything, and there are frames everwhere so you can check your own bag before you get to the gate. It really isn't difficult to fly with Ryanair as long as you obey their simple, and fair, rules.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:01 am

It's true that they make it clear that the hand baggage has to be a certain size....but the rules are simple and fair???
Nothing is simple and clear about travelling with Ryanair and I would say their pricing structure is anything but clear, making it very difficult to make comparisons with other companies.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:25 am

That's called good business practise. The man is a genius. Why try to analyse it.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:37 am

Having made some derogatory remarks about Ryanair in the past I fell I must update my opinion. I have never flown with them (I haven't flown with any airline for nearly twenty years) but my wife often travels to Bournemouth with Ryanair and after an initial bad experience, now has nothing but praise for them with the exception, perhaps of the excruciating fanfare whenever they land on time.

My experience is limited to finding the flights and making the booking which I find fairly painless and straightforward. My one gripe is that if you get interrupted you will find that your 'session has been terminated for security reasons' and you have to start again.

There is, however, one procedure that she continues to carry out and that is to check the weight of her hold luggage on the scales at an unoccupied check-in desk before putting it on Ryanair's scales.
Let's go Brandon!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:38 am

He is bending every rule to the extreme.
One example of the so called good business practice that he tried, was to put the option for not taking up the option of having insurance in the drop down list of destinations on the main page. You can call it what you want and that he is a clever man, but I would also call that devious.
The reason people are wary of Ryanair is that there are so many extra costs you can pay even if you don't need or want them that come as standard with other airlines and you need your wits about you to make sure you go through everything.
The law in Europe,which was changed recently, now says all compulsary costs must be shown in adverts as a direct result of his type of marketing. His arguement is that people want to know the break down of what they are paying. However, any normal person knows this is B#LL#Cks.What people want to know is the final cost from their pockets.

I'm sure many people are happy with those 1 penny flights ,which really cost thousand times more, but many people can't get these flight,which are good marketing ploys, and have to pay much more.

PS. My wife bought a weighing tool to weigh suitcases on Amazon for 13 pounds, so we know before we leave the house if our bags are correct.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:20 pm

I have had the 1gbp flight and know plenty of others who have as well, I even had a 0 flight, just pay the taxes........good times of day too not anti social times.......and I do want to know if I am paying for insurance etc as an extra.......but I agree I would like to know the full cost as early as possible, but I DO want a costs breakdown at the end to ensure taxes are the same across the board for one thing.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:00 pm

Even the taxes on my last flight with them changed from day to day from nothing to 15 euros depending which day I chose so I still ended up being as confused as ever.
Maybe someone knows why different days incur different taxes.

The reason I'm critical of Ryanair is because their policy of not being clear makes it difficult to compare prices properly with other airlines

Resturants sometimes do this as well and give a Menu del dia price without VAT,which IMHO is for one reason only, to appear cheaper than there rivals. In other words to trick people. Good business prctice or not,It's sleazy.

Having said that, I have had no problems with the actual flights I have taken with them.
Last edited by markwilding on Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:21 pm

I just can't see what the problem is. We are all able to add €20 to the final price shown on screen two. It's not difficult. I am booked on my 106th flight with them. So far I have been 99.05667% on time. One flight delayed by twenty minutes; air traffic control problems at Liverpool. [Easyjet was also delayed that day]. They are the best airline in Europe; it's just no one wants to admit this.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:51 pm

IMO They are the worst airline, the prices are a con and misleading. A friend just received an email offering flights at 10 quid, well forget that......... the price was actually 74 quid each BEFORE adding online booking charge per passenger so is 5 of them at 10 pounds each plus the same charge per person for paying with a visa card and thats before adding any baggage.............

I cannot understand why a group has to pay 10 pounds each for one invoice especially when its their ink that prints all the boarding passes and not Ryanairs, AND why levy a charge per person for the use of the debit when it is only ONE transaction and not 5 their bank charges are for one transaction so is misleading and profiteering.

When I buy something I want to know the full price upfront and not have to spend time clicking or deselecting rubbish add ons only to find that the price is way above other airlines for same route.

I dont go to a supermarket and see something on the shelves for X and get to the checkout to be told I have to pay xtra for printing the till receipt or using my card to pay.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:22 pm

Bongtrees, can I assume that you do not use the services of Ryanair?

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:25 pm

Cabin baggage rules. 1 bag, max weight, max dimensions. It doesn't get any simpler.

Yes, there are things about Ryanair that are annoying, but consider what prices might have been like had Ryanair not come on the scene. We have already seen what happens now there is no competition at Glasgow. Since FlyGlobespan went bust fares from Glasgow with Easyjet seem to have jumped considerably. There is now a big difference between flying Easyjet Glasgow - Malaga and Ryanair Glasgow (Prestwick) to Malaga.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

littleeak
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby littleeak » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:14 pm

Campo Steve wrote:Cabin baggage rules. 1 bag, max weight, max dimensions. It doesn't get any simpler.
I appreciate that but we had the same bags at Malaga airport and didn't have to put them in the 'checker'!!

I must add that the ground staff we encountered at B'ham weren't employed by Ryanair.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:26 pm

I can't really understand the gripes about debit card / credit card charges.

Use a Prepaid master card, and whether you are paying for one return flight or 25 it costs the same, £1.50.

Shop around and you can get one for £10, with the £10 refunded the first time you use in. It really is a no brainer.

anyroads

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:23 am

"I appreciate that but we had the same bags at Malaga airport and didn't have to put them in the 'checker'!!"

It's part and parcel of flying with Ryanair. You're bag never gets checked at Malaga, but always get's checked at Edinburgh. In fact, at Edinburgh they now have a cardboard checker that fits over your bag. They use this to check the queue and sort out the wheat from the chaff long before you even get to the gate.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:31 am

IMO I think there should be more checks by all airlines on cabin baggage. I have been flying several times a year for 35 years and on just about every flight I have seen people clearly with more than what is allowed by whatever airline I have been on. Oversize bags, too many bags, dangerously heavy bags etc. The result has been one, or more, passengers filling a whole luggage rack, struggling to lift the bag up or struggling to fit it into the overhead locker. This has been to the detriment of other passengers that have been unable to have their cabin baggage near to them.

Earlier this year Ryanair were weighing all cabin baggage at the gate at Prestwick, last week they weren't. Last year, on a flight I was on, they checked all bags for size at the gate at Malaga. It does happen there and it is random.

Checking everyone's bag does slow boarding, which presumably is why they don't do it at all airports all of the time. But, knowing that it could be checked, does make most travellers think about what they are taking on.

I agree it can be annoying at times and we once fell foul of Ryanairs policy of not allowing sharing of allowance. We thought we had it right but my bag weighed 11kgs and my wifes 9 kgs. We had to transfer 1kg from my bag to hers.

This thread seems to be yet another targetting Ryanair. Last year I flew Easyjet from Malaga and they checked all cabin bags for size at the gate. It isn't just Ryanair! Regardless of who you are flying with, your bags could be checked. Comply with the rules and you will be fine.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:57 am

I´ve found that ryanair seem to be far stricter on flights in and out of the UK, when I´ve taken ryanair flights from malaga to non-UK destinations I´ve never seen the hand luggage measured, nor weighed.

Ryanair seem to be cutting down on flights in and out of the uk,and increasing other flights.

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:04 am

It's well known in the travel business that Micheal O'Leary imported the Ruanair businees model from Air Southwest in the USA.

See here for more details...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFjVbiPzwpI

Now if he (O'Leary) could just get Aer Lingus passanger care to combine with his lowfares, he could have the biggest, most succesful airline in europe!

Oh, wait...... :!:
putting the "ANDA" into Andalucía..:)

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:41 am

hiker wrote:Now if he (O'Leary) could just get Aer Lingus passanger care to combine with his lowfares, he could have the biggest, most succesful airline in europe!
I think he has the biggest, most successful [spelt correctly] airline in Europe!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:31 am

that makes 2 of you !