Gambas Pil Pil

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Mydogdylan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Gambas Pil Pil

Postby Mydogdylan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:56 pm

Has anyone got a tried and tested recipe for Gambas Pil Pil that they use please.

And don't anyone say 'why don't you google it' iv'e done that they all all carp.

Cheers

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: Gambas Pil Pil

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:08 pm

Fresh prawns, peeled and cut into bite size pieces. Remove the black vein, it makes them look nicer.

Little ceramic dish.

Fill 1/3 full with olive oil. Slice a clove of garlic and add it in and also a fresh chilly [whole] if you fancy a bit of heat.

Cover with tin foil and into a very hot oven until the oil is boiling. The prawns will have gone pink.

Don't over-cook as the prawns will go tough.

Serve on the table straight away and remember a plave mat under the dish.

Eat with crusty bread.

Dead easy.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:10 pm

Gambas Pil Pil is a touristy description of the classic Spanish dish - Gambas al Ajillo.

Google that and you will find they are nearly all the same because it is one of the simplest dishes around.

Fry some big peeled and de-veined prawns in lots of good olive oil with loads of garlic and a crushed chilli and serve with a little chopped parsley for garnish.

It doesn't get easier.

Pil Pil is a type of fish dish from the Basque country cooked with salt cod.

Google Bacalao al Pil Pil and you will see that it is similar in that it contains oil, garlic and chilli but the technique is quite different.

Sid

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:27 pm

get plenty of alcohol in it..that´s the secret !! :)

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:56 pm

I heat my olive oil first in the oven until sizzling.Throw in some dried chilli flakes and the uncooked prawns,(whole but washed and de veined),throw in dried garlic....absolutley georgous. :thumbup:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:01 pm

What? No praprika? :( Pimentón picante o dulce, según los gustos.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:16 am

Nope,nothing else.Its absolutley delicious,and spot on~just like what you recieve in the resturants.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:38 am

Gambas al ajillo and gambas pil pil are different, one of the differences being paprika, (dulce o picante depending on your taste."
Google "receta+gambas pil pil", see how many recipes you find without paprika/pimentón.

The first two I looked at,

Gambas al pil-pil.
Ingredientes (para dos personas):
10 langostinos medianos,75 cc. aceite de oliva virgen de buena calidad, 5 dientes de ajo, 2 guindillas secas (chiles rojos secos), pizca de pimentón dulce (paprika), pizca de sal.

Dos dientes de ajos.
Perejil.
Una guindillita o un chile.
Pimentón dulce o picante.
Sal.
Aceite de oliva.
Y por supuesto gambas.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:59 am

I didnt follow any recipe,i just guessed what was in it.
I will certainly try it the next time with Paprika in it,see if it makes any diference to it.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:15 pm

I personally prefer it when it has a bit of substence to it rather than just prawns in oil. I make mine the following way and it's really easy to prepare well in advance if you have friends coming for dinner and then blast it in a hot oven just before serving. The prawns defrost beforehand and the liquid from them adds to the flavour in the dish.

Into little terracotta dishes I put some frozen raw prawns, a little tomato tamizado (from Mercadona - I think it's like passata or sieved tomato) mixed with a little extra virgin and some sweet paprika, fresh parsley, roughly chopped garlic and a whole red chilli (or chilli powder to taste). I cook them on a baking tray in a hot oven Gas mark 7 (220 centigrade?) for about 10 - 15 mins until really sizzling.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:27 am

My husband always makes it with paprika, get the oil nice and hot and sizzle the paprika, garlic and chilli for a min or 2 before adding the prawns, he makes it so much better than any restaurant I have tried it in!

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:36 am

I have a favourite sauce for pasta which evolved from Gambas Pil Pil - heat olive oil in a large frying pan, add chopped garlic and dried chilis, fry prawns until just turned pink, add chopped fresh ripe tomatoes, salt, fresh parsley, simmer for a couple of minutes, then add a small glass of white wine and a splash of lemon juice and cook for another couple of minutes. Delish!

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:10 pm

Thanks for all your recipes,the only thing we do different is we buy a pil pil mix from the herb stalls,but will have ago at your too.whilst getting me some prawns, i saw the little fish that looked like 3 to 4 inch dabs?? or soles? I'm sure you would not see them that small in the u.k but does anyone know how to cook them,? i fancy just flour, then egg, then bread crumbs, and a quick deep fry,?? what do you think??

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:32 pm

I think the secret of a good pil-pil is in the cooking. Many don't have the oil hot enough. Dido's sounds good.

Ken, do you mean Boquerones? Tempura batter goes well with them, wouldn't bother with the breadcrumbs.

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:46 pm

Thanks Katy, but no,they are little flat fish, like as i say soles?? dabs?? next time i go i'll get the name, it was only when i got home that i started to think, what ever do the Spanish do with the little flaties,??i think i have run out of gin,?? so might nip to mercadona and get the name, ha ha whatch this space,Tempura batter , thats in mercadonas too, is it not??

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:51 pm

I think they are just baby sole.

They dip them in coating flour and deep fry them - you often see them in a Fritura Mixta.

Sid

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:01 pm

Cheers Sid, that's just how i fancied them when i thought about them, right i did see them in the shop this week, so may just get a few and give them ago, when we have this Pil Pil, i cook it out in the open on one of them great Spanish gas rings,i do this because the wife is excluded from this lovely meal, she is totally allergic to garlic,shame, we don't often eat out because of this, she has been known to have enjoyed a very nice meal, and then some one comes and sites behind her with a really strong garlic meal,(WELL WE ARE IN SPAIN) so we mostly cook at home,but how could i make her a tasty type of pil pil with not Gaelic, ?? what else can i use to enhance it from only being a prawn chili.?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:31 pm

ken2 wrote: what else can i use to enhance it from only being a prawn chili.?
Yes, without garlic it will never be a Pil-Pil.

Try going a bit Thai with it. A few thin slices of ginger, a splash of fish sauce, some lime juice and finish with chopped coriander. Don't make it as oily as a proper Pil-Pil - just enough oil to fry the prawns.

Sid

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:28 pm

Cheers Sid the ginger is right up her street, suppose to be good for her ailments, and it all sound good, will give it ago,

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:37 am

OK tonight's the night we are cooking pil pil for ten and Sid's ginger receipt for Fay, could not buy any of them little soles? never had any today,so its prawns and we got some Bacalao too to go with it, yum yum