Ryanair cabin baggage

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
beachbabe
Resident

Re: Ryanair cabin baggage

Postby beachbabe » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:13 pm

For anyone who has the brains, and eyesight, to read small print and weigh and measure cases, and the financial sense to get a pre-paid fx card, Ryanair are:

Cheap :clap:

And have the best punctuality record of any airline from our airport :clap: :clap:

If brains, eyesight, measurement skills and financial sense are not strong points I would definitely suggest you fly other carriers - because you will indeed end up paying more.

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:42 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:
hiker wrote:Now if he (O'Leary) could just get Aer Lingus passanger care to combine with his lowfares, he could have the biggest, most succesful airline in europe!
I think he has the biggest, most successful [spelt correctly] airline in Europe!

yeah, I know...
My sarcasism does'nt trasnfer very well online. :oops:

But are they really the most succesfully spelt airline, too?????
putting the "ANDA" into Andalucía..:)

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:26 pm

We fly Ryanair to Malaga usually but thought we'd try bmibaby for a change. The flights worked out about £40 dearer but the appeal was that we could get seats allocated. I'm not desperate to sit by my OH, but I prefer to, so it was nice to know that even if we were last to board the plane, we would be sitting together.

However, bmibaby changed the flight times to and fro - an hour and a quarter later each way, so we also ended up paying an extra 20 euros for our hire car, as they met us 'out of normal hours'. That was a bit galling. Also, the flights both ways were late - half an hour going out and an hour coming back, which took us into the next day coming back, so that cost us more money in airport parking.

So - all-in-all - we are going back to Ryanair, the pros for us outweigh the cons. They seem to be pretty much on time and, providing you take care when booking, they do what it says on the tin. Maybe we were just unlucky with our flights with bmibaby, but the advantage of choosing seats on-line was outweighed by the cons we experienced. Oh, one more thing! The size of the hand luggage is the same for Ryanair and bmibaby but the bmibaby size checker seemed smaller - I couldn't get my case in it, although I have no problem with the Ryanair size checker. I told the guy who was trying to cram it in that it goes in the Ryanair one OK and he stopped trying and let me through! That might be because he'd got a load of grief from the woman in front of me, who he did get tough with, as her case wouldn't fit and she'd been extremely angry telling him that she was going to write to the bmibaby MD..........

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:22 pm

We fly regularly back and forth between Malaga and Cardiff with Bmibaby and are very rarely late. I love the fact I can book my seat. Their hand luggage sizes are smaller than Easyjet but not sure what Ryanair's are. And they are very strict in Cardiff on this, also on weight. It did annoy me when they reduced the suitcase weight from 20kg to 18kg but apart from that we like flying with them.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:12 pm

ajtg1952 wrote: I think he has the biggest, most successful [spelt correctly] airline in Europe!
Love it! :thumbdown:
You're bag never gets checked at Malaga, but always get's checked at Edinburgh
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:12 pm

Murbisa

Ryanair's cabin baggage allowance is exactly the same as BMIbaby

Easyjet 56 x 45 x 25
Ryanair 55 x 40 x 20 max 10kgs
BMIbaby 55 x 40 x 20 max 10kgs
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:27 pm

Thanks Steve - why don't they make them all the same! I have had to stop using my smart little bag on wheels as OH nearly broke it forcing it into the measure. I went shopping for a new one but in the whole of Cardiff could not find one on wheels with Bmibaby measurements. The bags were fine but one you added on the wheels they were over.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:40 pm

We always fly Monarch.
Can't recall ever arriving late,although we may have taken off late.
Never reserve a seat and we always end up sitting together.
Seen too many "Airline" programmes to fly Easyjet., Air O'Leary would be last resort.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:55 pm

Nimrod some of us don't get a lot of choice in which airline to use. We used to be able to fly with Thomsons but they don't seem to be flying into Cardiff anymore. And now in the winter we are restricted to 3 flights a week with BMIbaby.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:29 pm

Yes ,I understand that Murbisa.,not much fun driving long distance to any airport.
I guess we are spoiled for choice with,Gatwick,Heathrow,Luton,Stansted,all being in easy driving distance.

beachbabe
Resident

Postby beachbabe » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:42 pm

Gatwick,Heathrow,Luton,Stansted,all being in easy driving distance.
Crikey. Where's that then? :wink:

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:57 pm

15 miles N of dartford Tunnel.
Gatwick is 45 mins (my usual airport),Stansted 25 mins,Heathrow and Luton just over the hour.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:04 pm

have they finished the roadworks on the M25 since I last used it in 1987 ?

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:15 pm

Julian,
Nope,the M25 is work in progress.
I usually get the first flight out in the morning which means leaving home about 3.30 ,never been a good sleeper anyway.
Gives plenty of time to park, book in,have something to eat etc.
At that time of the morning the M25 is relatively clear,6 am onwards and it's a nightmare.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:57 am

julian wrote:I´ve found that ryanair seem to be far stricter on flights in and out of the UK, when I´ve taken ryanair flights from malaga to non-UK destinations I´ve never seen the hand luggage measured, nor weighed.
They were measuring last Saturday at Malaga for the Cork flight (a non-UK destination). Quite a few people caught out by it.
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:19 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:" You're bag never gets checked at Malaga, but always get's checked at Edinburgh.
My wife got her bag size checked at Malaga last week, but not on her return from Edinburgh,

so what do I know !!...

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:50 am

I agree with most of the comments made here - both good and bad. I have always flown Ryanair and found them to be punctual - I returned on a Monarch flight on Wednesday from Gatwick to Alicante and it was delayed an hour. Very frustrating as I was dying for a ciggie!!!! At least Ryanair are on time - I have never had a flight delay with them.

As far as baggage is concerned, as you say, it it quite clear on their website what the allowances are and up until recently, I did not know that you could actually pay for 20kg of checked baggage (albeit at a higher price) as I thought the max was 15kg, period, but at least you now have the option. The only gripe I have with that is when you book a return flight, you might only want hand luggage only on one sector or 15kg of checked baggage and then more or less on the return, so you have to book 2 one way flights, (which in the past has sometimes worked out cheaper as I discovered!) to determine what baggage you are taking as I take less to UK and bring back more from UK.

When I look at passengers waiting to board, some of them have hand luggage that should clearly be put in the hold as they are so large. A family in the queue in front of me had so much oversized 'hand luggage' they were forced to pay for it to go in the hold. Another couple had obviously decided to 'pool' their luggage whilst I was waiting in the check in queue as it was way over 15kg - almost 30kg! Obviously, they hadn't read that luggage can't be pooled although Ryanair did allow this about 4 years ago because we did it. The rules are clearly stated on the website - why do people ignore these???

Ryanair are cheap, on time, no frills and you must obey their rules about luggage! Fair enough, most of us do if travelling regularly to and from here to UK. I do disagree though with the charges they make for paying by credit/debit card as they charge per passenger and not per booking. The bank providers of these cards should really have a clamp down on this as they say that they only charge per transaction, not per person.

The only gripe I have is why did they pull out of Granada Airport - I have to travel 2 to 2 and a half hours now to either Alicante or Murcia?????.............

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:25 pm

I posted this about year ago but think it is still up to date. Hope so, but if not, I'm sure someone will advise!

Monarch scheduled hand luggage
56cm length x 45cm wide x 25cm deep 22x17¾x9¾
Maximum weight of hand baggage must not exceed 10kg

BMI Baby hand luggage:
55cm length x40cm wide x20cm deep 21½x15¾x8½
with no weight restriction. However, each passenger must be able to place the piece of luggage safely in the overheard storage bins without assistance.

Easyjet hand luggage
55cm length x 40cm wide x20cm deep 21½x15¾x8½
no weight restriction within reasonable limits — i.e. a passenger must be able to place the piece of luggage safely in the overhead storage bins without assistance.

Ryanair hand luggage
55cm length x 40cm wide x 20cm deep 21½x15¾x8½

Flybe hand luggage
50cm length x 35cm wide x 23cm deep 19¾x13¾x9¼
including wheels, handles, side pockets etc .

British Airways hand luggage
56cm length x 45cm wide x 25cm deep 22x17¾x9¾ one standard-sized bag - maximum size of the bag must not exceed 56x45x25cm (22x17.5x9.85in) (including wheels, pockets and handles)
In addition, one laptop sized bag, handbag or briefcase
A 23kg(51lbs) maximum bag weight applies and you must be able to lift the bag into the overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin unaided.
NB. Cabin crew will assist customers with additional needs.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:30 pm

Easyjet's hand luggage measurements are bigger than Bmibaby, also Bmibaby hand luggage weight is 10k. Those figures must be out of date.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:27 am

Hi,
Easiest way is to check on the carriers site for up to date info...........
Example...............Easyjet............

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html#baggage

"Save where the limits set locally are more restrictive, passengers are permitted one standard piece of hand baggage to a volume limit of 56x45x25cm (including wheels and pockets) (“Standard Hand Baggage”). It must fit without force into the gauges provided at check-in or departure gates. No weight restriction applies within reasonable limits — i.e. a passenger must be able to place the piece of luggage safely in the overhead storage bins without assistance"
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.