Are Spanish Forums Dying

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Jim Allen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Are Spanish Forums Dying

Postby Jim Allen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:51 pm

Here we go again with another question

Spanish forums over the past years have been very popular where they have been mainly full of nothing else but problems within the construction industry
Its very clear that regular posters on some of the forums have zero actual interest in the Spanish market other than to put in expert advice copied and pasted from newspapers which by the very nature WILL be negative.
They then jump from forum to forum offering often dangerous expert advice when that’s easy when its not their money.
They may have won a case in say 1992 and now they are experts in Spanish Law and run through with a smug attitude.
Of course help and advice is so welcome but just how many have self motivated interests.
There are then the ambulance chasers who can milk the situation dry being on an expat forum.
They then have an issue with anyone that wants to join that dares to put a positive stance on the situation. There is of course negatives as everywhere but where’s the positives have they all been driven away.
Question. With the (Other)Spanish forums dominated by those with no tangible interest other than to kick the Spain at ever opportunity and actual people that are there which are simply fed up to the teeth with the same ole drum banging and are not playing anymore will result in the forums just die out. Its even got to the point that they post property prices are falling in say Poland and thats bad news for Spain. When if ever will good news be accepted.
Before anyone (Julian :wave: ) jumps on me I fully understand that this forum has the majority of those that ARE and do have interest in Spain.

Regards
Jim Allen
Last edited by Jim Allen on Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Re: Are Spanish Forums Dying

Postby julian » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:00 pm

Answer.No

Jim Allen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jim Allen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:02 pm

AH.Ha Julian

You are the figures man.. There is one forum that had max on line at anyone time of almost 200.
Sometimes now its days before anyone posts.? Even then its only a handful of the old school in the main.
There are community threads on another that used to be very active. They are almost now all dead.
You say NO but hardly alive and kicking are they. :)

Jim Allen

pacos
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pacos » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:05 pm

julian wrote:Answer.No
Agreed. There are other forums I have subscribed to and got absolutely bored to tears with the everything in Spain is bad posts, especially as you say the construction industry woes. Sympathy we all have for those who where unfortunate in their property deals but for others I think good forums like this will continue... :clap:

A quality forum is surely better than a quantity forum!!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:12 pm

are you the same Jim Allen that writes all the negative posts about Marbella?

Jim Allen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jim Allen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:46 pm

Julian :lolno:
Yes the very same one that says he loves Spain and Marbella. Dont happen to like the 2 euros for a table cloth however etc. Need to try to get to grips with the petty crime. :evil: This is direct issues that are there and very different indeed from that I have mentioned.
Julian I do bring up issues like this at times because a number of traders will do damage unless we walk with our custom
Still a great place and would love to keep it that way if poss. All good news will be fully supported by me thats for sure. :clap: so bring it on.

Jim

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:08 pm

it´s so simple, traders can charge what they want, if they charge 2€ a tablecloth then don´t go there, the same as you wouldn´t go to a place in london that charges 2 pounds a tablecloth.

some people are more than happy to pay 2€ a tablecloth in Marbella, let them continue to enjoy those places while you can enjoy other establishments

is this waht you mean by one of your "I love Spain and Marbella posts?...........
"Marbella is a complete and utter rip off from top to bottom.They treat us with total contempt"

Jim Allen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jim Allen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:03 pm

Julian
So you are a copy and paster I see that takes snippets and turn and twist them around which really do get up peoples backs..
Yes I do love Marbella(you keep missing that for some reason) however I do feel that the council many sectors such as taxis and many bars do treat us with total contempt,rip off from top to bottom and needs a good shake up.
Its a fantastic place. Better say 5 years ago but there again that could be said about many places.
Dont know what your point is Julian. I am one of those who has property IN Marbella and I want to just help in anyway to make it better.
Julian. Do you have anything positive to add as you have involved yourself in a thread and the only direct thing you have said is" NO"
The rest seems the similar issues I relate to as to why forums are dying. ZZZzzzzzzzzz
Wake me up with any good news. :think:

Jim Allen
Last edited by Jim Allen on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:11 pm

your OP, as confusing as it was, seems to show your concern that spanish forums may die as there is so much negative posting on them about spain, and yet your posts are generally negative about spain,seemed to be a strange post coming from you of all people.

the copy and paste quote was exactly that...copied and pasted.... and not changed at all, nor turned, nor twisted, they were your exact words.

it´s not that marbella was better 5 years ago, it´s more a matter of the victor mildrew virus that has been running around your bloodstream for 5 more years and has set in deeper

Jim Allen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jim Allen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:28 pm

Julian
Yep those were my exact words so were the rest you missed out :crazy: Thats why my question is the same. Are Spanish Forums Dying.
Perhaps stop copy and pasting part postings and boring people to death with them may be a positive step forward.
Dont think any sane person would object to anything being posted thats negative as long as its within contex. Julian this is supposed to be a forum of opinions.Sadly I dont really have to agree with yours and neither you to mine.Hopefully at times we will. :wave:
Lets at least try to keep this one Forum from sinking like the rest.

Jim Allen
Last edited by Jim Allen on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:34 pm

you are of course welcome to your opinion, but I hope I will never agree with your opinions on spain, if I ever do I will leave and go somewhere else.

Jim Allen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jim Allen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:34 pm

Julian
In the hope that this is put to bed. I feel that the forums in the main dont show a true reflection of what Spain is for the reasons I have put forward
You neither have to agree or not agree. If leaving the forum means agreeing with my observations then perhaps its best not replying to me. Simple really and alongside copying and pasting items to try to kill threads that some may well wish to contribute to may be another way forward to make the forums more interesting to those at the core that have genuine interest in Spain.

Regards to you

Jim Allen

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:01 pm

Sometimes now its days before anyone posts.?
Andalucia.com still haven't fixed the site. Usually if someone posts on a thread, an email is sent if there is a follow-up. This function hasn't happened for about a week.
Dave

Jim Allen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jim Allen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:17 pm

Hi Mowser
The very point I was trying to say regarding the copy and paste of a section of a post.
Please re-read the posting and you will see that it had no relation to this forum.
Forums of course need revenue to be able to run.If the majority of post are from those I have mentioned how will income be generated for the genuine sector that seek independent views from those on the ground.
At least this forum does try to get a balance though very defensive at times as to what is intended to be a constructive post.

Regards
Jim

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi Jim

I know you weren't mentioning this forum but I still think my point was valid.
It's also a sneaky way to find out if anyone else is having the same problem or if it's just me.
I don't visit any other Spanish forums (fora?) so I can't comment on that.
Dave

Jim Allen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jim Allen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:38 pm

Hi Mowser
Understand what you are saying
If you did visit the other forums perhaps my question may be more relevent
Personally I feel this is the only one left that seems to want to offer genuine advice be it right or wrong at least its given in good faith.

Jim Allen

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi Jim

I used to get weekly updates from Eye on Spain. They started up a forum but I didn't much like the layout so I didn't bother signing up for it.
Dave

Jim Allen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jim Allen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:58 pm

Hi Mowser
Good intentions to start with and a vast amount of time spent setting it up.
All credit to the owner and am sure he/she is a very geniune person/s .Sadly taken over by the very ones I feel are killing the forums.(Not this one Mowser. Honest :wave: )
I do understand that its so difficult to understand that those that post with no motives other than to contribute and those with personal motives is a fine line but to stiffle the forum at times may just not be in the best interests in the longer term.
At the end of the day this is my view and felt compelled to ask if anyone else shared my opinion.
If everyones says no then thats no big deal. Just maybe some may agree and wish to contribute posts as to just what is happening ,not rely on hearsay and news reports and those with massive axes to grind even though some have a very valuable contributions to make.Its the rest I feel are killing the forums.
If that help this or in fact any other forums prosper then I am fine with that as well

Jim Allen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jim Allen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Perhaps we need more of this to get the buzz back on the forums..

http://www.theolivepress.es/2010/08/23/ ... wo-cities/

Dont look at this Julian at it says some negatives about Marbella however lets hope the message gets through and though there have been and are problems its just needs to get the direction back.
Its not my posting so you can agree with it if you want :thumbup:

Jim Allen

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:55 pm

oh dear, thanks for posting that Jim, I really had no idea that I was living in such a place, suddenly I don´t feel so happy about living in Marbella, and may now have to rethink my future here, I´ll sleep on it tonight to avoid making a hasty decision, but I have a feeling that I may well be looking at the removal ads in the sur tomorrow...off to look for some empty cardboxes by the bins for packing just in case....oh no, the cats passports are not up to date, oh dear, there really is no end to the list of problems of living here, and then I´ve got to fight with the phone companies to get the contracts cancelled, that won´t be easy either,I can see a sleepless night coming up ............