Log burner/Stove Fitter

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
j4mes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Log burner/Stove Fitter

Postby j4mes » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi Guys,

It's been a LONG time since myself or Mrs A have been actively posting, so hola!

I am installing a log burner into a current open fireplace. Visits to a couple of shops here that supply and fit lead me to the belief that it's going to be cheaper to source a log burner from one place and have someone independently install it (although if anyone knows of a place where this is not the case then please let me know)....

I have searched the forum to see if this has already been asked, and whilst the topic has been discussed several times, I can't find what I am looking for.

I am after someone who is qualified/experienced in fitting these. I am in Mijas Costa, can anyone make a recommendation??

Thanks all

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: Log burner/Stove Fitter

Postby Julie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:04 pm

I would imagine that any Spanish builder would be able to fit a fire for you, they are so used to people here having them, ours was bought from Leroys and the builder fitted it, he didn't look perplexed about it.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:14 pm

We used Chimeneas Tehisu in Velez Malaga.

They came to the house, sorted out what we needed, fabricated it and fitted it. Great service, great fire. Cost €1,100.

http://www.chimeneastehisu.com/

j4mes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby j4mes » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:01 am

Went to see Deco Chimeneas on the Coin road......

They recommened an insert because it's going into a fireplace and they said this will be more efficient than a freestanding log burner....

Quoted €1100 for the lot...supply, fabricate and fit, so a similar figure to the guys in Velez Malaga which gives me confidence!

I'll let you know how the service is as we go!

patchdog
Resident

Postby patchdog » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:16 pm

Usually freestanding are more efficient because of size of heatable surface area exposed to air, I have been informed.

j4mes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby j4mes » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:51 pm

patchdog wrote:Usually freestanding are more efficient because of size of heatable surface area exposed to air, I have been informed.

This was my understanding too, however (i'm told) if it's going into a fireplace wherby the heatable surface area is the very close to (almost touching) the surrounding fireplace then this isn't as efficient...The insert actually blows the heat created out of the fireplace into the room.

So if it's a big inglenook for example then it would be a freestanding burner for greater efficieny, a smaller space (which we have and i negelected to mention in the original post) an insert, which I guess does make sense.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:17 pm

We had one in the UK in a big inglenook fireplace and the heat from it was fantastic. Have got one here in Spain fitted into a big chinmey and it is not nearly so effective.

j4mes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby j4mes » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:11 pm

Hi guys,

Having concluded this, I wanted to share my experience.....

Deco Chimeneas on the Coin road, Mijas Costa....

Quoted me €1,160 all inclusive...

Installers arrived 10 mins before they were expected....Worked extremely professionally...They were courteous, tidy (bearing in mind the job required the removal of 18 bags of rubble from the chimney) and quick...These guys worked like trojans!!....4 hours later the whole job was finished, our lounge looked like no one had ever been there, and the insert looks fantastic...

Apparently they have been going for 82 years, and with service like i received, i can see why...I will be writing to Deco to let them know how pleased I was/am!!

PS, also had wood delivered....Always found it difficult to find decent wood at a decent price...Anyway, ordered €150 worth (which i think was a ton) of oak.... It arrived on time, has clearly been seasoned and a good selection of sizes...(the last time I ordered olive, I had either twigs or half stumps! (slight exaggeration!)....

I have the details of this if anyone needs decent wood from a decent supplier.