Pound euro rate

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
rafiki
Resident

Re: Pound euro rate

Postby rafiki » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:40 pm

Some correspondence I had with them last week whilst trying to decide whether to trust them:
As a company we have been in business for over six years, we are recommended by Martin Lewes money saving expert, Which magazine among many others. We are an independent company and are not attached to a bank or an insurance company. All of our company details are on the home page of the website and feedback from other customers can also be accessed from there. Please feel free to do any research you wish prior to placing an order.

We are currently very busy and as a company are expanding which places us in a strong position in the market.

However, we are not backed by a bank or an insurance company.
My enquiry was about how my money is protected, particularly if purchasing for a future date. Is the cash held in an escrow account?
We do not have segregated client accounts. All funds go into the company account.
I wonder if that above-market future rate mentioned last week was merely designed to bolster their cash flow...
Brian.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:01 pm

Ah well.....

Re my earlier e-mail on this.

If it sounds too good to be true etc....

anyroads

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:15 pm

There has just been an item about Crown Currency Exchange on Money Box on Radio 4. It will be available on listen again in a few minutes.
Let's go Brandon!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:07 am

More news here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... lters.html

Sid

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:37 pm

BBC TELETEXT TONIGHT...

Crown have gone into administration.....

13,000 people affected.

anyroads.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:40 pm

"Just bought some euros for October at the great rate of 1.25 free delivery on the date I choose.

Not particularly going anywhere but looking at the way things are going, don't think I can go wrong".

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:10 pm

Brian.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:14 pm

Just signed on to Caxton FX.....

They are offering 1.138 which is more realistic, but probably the best rate available tonight.

Using a prepaid master card, you pay them with your debit card, they load your master card with the eur same time ( not for delivery in a months time ! ), the the euros are yours. You can buy as little as euros 150.

You know it makes sense !

anyroads

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:19 pm

1.1406 with xe.com just now; free transfer to your Spanish account.
Brian.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:23 am

I took money out of the ATM with my Nationwide card yesterday and got €1.15211
Dave

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:46 pm

Following Nationwide's announcement that they were to begin charging for ATM withdrawals from 1 November, we began withdrawing the maximum amount allowed each day and a couple of weeks ago we made the last withdrawal to get all our living expenses for the next year paid into our Spanish account, all at a rate of at least 1.20€ to the £. So Nationwide did us a favour in a funny kind of way, thanks chaps!

j4mes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby j4mes » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:14 pm

barclays gibraltar today 1.11

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:48 pm

katy wrote:Wise words, currency firms have been known to be wiped out overnight. You never know if they are robbing Peter to pay Paul and are offering these rates to attract cash flow.
Seems as if Crown were doing what I said above, they must have known they were in trouble when they started offering attractive rates....a fraud case :think:

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:39 pm

Don't think so Katy. They have been offering attractive rates if you booked and paid in advance since they started. That was all part of their business plan. They were actually quite popular because of it. But, it's a plan that obviously couldn't make it through the recession.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:49 pm

Of course their rates were popular, nothing more than a pyramid/ponzi scheme. Similar to dubious banks and investment schemes which offered 10% when everyone else was paying 5%! Crown is/was run by a couple, he a former double glazing salesman who at one time was barred from holding company directorships :roll: Sooner or later it catches up with them. Two years ago this company was showing a net worth of MINUS a few hundred thousands :shock:

Even if the company is a member of the FSCS (financial services compensation scheme) it does NOT protect foreign currency transactions.

The old saying applies if it's too good to be true..........So much for the money saving whatever .com comparison sites who have been recommending Crown!!

PS. I was a fraud control accountant many moons ago :mrgreen:

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:56 pm

Oh dear :thumbdown:
just got back from a fantastic cruise yesterday and saw this.

Luckily we haven't lost a fortune although no one likes to be caught out. I was reading Martins Moneytips forum on this subject and there are a lots of people who have lost a lot, literally the day before holidays etc.

Typical, I got a nice goodwill gesture cheque from a certain airline the other week and spent most of it with this crew.

Will just have to hope everyones money is returned somehow.

By the way, there is a certain condition in a human brain that responds other peoples misfortunes with, I'll be charitable here, a kind of smugness and gloating.

However, I'm sure that condition doesn't apply to any of A.com forum members :think:
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:24 pm

I think your gloating comment may be aimed at me....I don't "gloat" at anyone being ripped off, I hate to see people being ripped off. I have, on this forum, a few times warned about currency companies over the years and have always been "shouted down" as if I were the stupid one by not using them. I was responding to Steves post which indicated the couple were blameless. However, I would be a little touchy too in the circumstances but don't shoot the messenger :angel:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:31 pm

Concorde

A number of posters were very wary of the rates offered. A few got in touch with the company and decided it wasn't worth the risk as they weren't covered if they went under. I don't believe katy was gloating - in fact she was the first person on this thread to urge caution.
Dave

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:57 pm

I just saw this reference to a prophetic article dated a year ago about Crown on Martin Lewis' forums.
http://tinyurl.com/36my782.
Brian.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:41 pm

I have to agree. Katy was right in this case.

However, I still don't think CCE went under because of fraud. I think they just went under because their business plan just wasn't up to it.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!