Selling UK car in Spain

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
griff99

Selling UK car in Spain

Postby griff99 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:39 am

Can anyone tell us, where we might be able to trade our UK car for a Spanish or just a garage that might buy it off us here in Andalucia?

gus-lopez
Resident

Re: Selling UK car in Spain

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:50 am

Although there are many ,including spanish dealers that will take a UK ,or other foreign registered, car in part-exchange it is against spanish law. This states that it is illegal to sell, gift, scrap or part-exchange a foreign reg. vehicle. It has to go back from whence it came.
Todos somos Lorca.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:03 pm

We don't know whether the car is Spanish plated or not though.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:19 pm

gus-lopez wrote:Although there are many ,including spanish dealers that will take a UK ,or other foreign registered, car in part-exchange it is against spanish law. This states that it is illegal to sell, gift, scrap or part-exchange a foreign reg. vehicle. It has to go back from whence it came.
GULP. I am just about to scrap a UK car that is terminally ill. I planned to advise DVLA it couldn't make the return journey and that it was going to be scrapped, get a refund on road licence and ring a scrapyard and get it taken away.

Now what do I do? Dig a big hole and bury it? Abandon it and set fire to it? More EU madness. I suppose the law was to stop cars being stolen and dismantled for parts in another country.............

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:22 pm

put it in an envelope and send it to DVLA, with no stamp on it so they have to pay the postage when it arrives :twisted:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:52 pm

Maybe it is ''illegal'' to buy or sell UK reg vehicles in Spain, but it goes on all of the time and has done for the 20+ years that I've been here.As long as the correct paperwork re. new ownership etc is carried out , I see no problem, in fact I have never encountered any problems with selling a UK vehicle, especially if it is returning to UK.
With regard to scrapping a UK vehicle, obviously after advising the DVLA that it is no longer functional, I also see no problem with scrapping it...Or remove all identifying marks and turn it into a chicken coop .. :lol:

If you listen and adhere to all of the so called ' laws' in Spain, life could become unbearable.... :cry:

For years I have been told I shouldn't receive Sky Tv in Spain.... :shock: ...but I do....

Regards,
Gordon the Bad'un........

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:04 pm

"For years I have been told I shouldn't receive Sky Tv in Spain.... ...but I do"

good on you Gordon, I´m all for sticking a finger up to officialdom and living life on the edge.....
don´t tell anyone but sometimes I don´t turn my mobile phone off when I drive into a petrol station :shh:

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Yes, I had to scrap one some years ago . I wished I hadn't when I found out the price the scrapyards charge for parts though. The negative side was it took me 12 months to find a scrapyard that would take it as the two biggest vehicle dismantlers here would not (& still won't ) take UK reg. cars except if they are through insurance companies from accidents , etc.
Todos somos Lorca.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:43 pm

How shocking...you don't turn your mobile phone off when you drive into the petrol station... :shock:

Julian you are a Hooligan.... :lol:

I might have to report you...... :wink:

Regards,
Gordon...