Mediteranean Cruise

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
David Jones
Andalucia.com Amigo

Mediteranean Cruise

Postby David Jones » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:32 pm

Some friends are going on a cruise which includes ports in Spain. I said I'd ask on here for information which may help them, as the've never been to any of the places before.
They leave Genoa on the Fantasia and on the 22nd December, they are in Barcelona between 1pm and 8pm. I suggested a walk up the Ramblas, look round the Gothic quarter and get the local bus to Park Guell and the Sagria Familia cathederal.
On Christmas eve they are in Casablanca, from 7am till 9pm. I've never been there, so couldn't help much at all. Any suggestions?
Christmas day they are in Malaga, 2pm to 7pm. I've been to Malaga a few times, but thought everything would be closed.
Boxing day they are in Alicante10 till 4pm. I've never been there.
28th dec they dock at Civitavechchia for Rome. 9am till 7pm. Once again a place I've not visited. I believe one can catch a train from there to Rome and it takes about 90 minutes.

Finally, if you have sailed on the Fantasia, do you have any tips?

Thanking you in advance.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Mediteranean Cruise

Postby markwilding » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Your ideas for Barcelona are good....I would say that Christmas day in the afternoon will be like any sunday in Spain.Others who live in the south of Spain will confirm it though.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:57 pm

The bars would be open on christmas day, especially if there's a cruise ship coming in .
Todos somos Lorca.

David Jones
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby David Jones » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Thank you Mark and Gus

David Jones
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby David Jones » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:03 pm

Our friends are back from the cruise now, but they didn't enjoy it. The Fantasia was very plush, but the food was very bland. Allthough the vesel was only 75%, full because many people couldn't get to Genoa because of the snow, they found the restaurants very crowded. They were promised an upgraded cabin because there had been a mix up with their booking, and allthough better cabins were available the purser refused them one. The entertainment was very mediocre and only lasted 35mins each night. Drinks were very expensive. At every turn they were photographed and given the hard sell at 20 Euros. The enjoyed the trips ashore. On the last day, they had to vacate their cabin at 7am, were held in a lounge till 10.30, waited on the dockside till 12.30, driven 2hrs to Milan airport, and then waited 5 hours for their flight. We picked them up at Heathrow at 9pm and they were exhausted.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:35 pm

The hard sell is the same on all the cruiselines now even QM2. I think Fantasia is part of MSC italian cruiseline and have heard a lot of complaints about them. If it's not the photos they are flogging "art" overpriced jewellery etc. Just been on Princess and they tried to sell us a cookbook of all the chefs menus!

All cruiselines disembark early that is why we now stay on land for a while afterwards. We once disembarked from Miami at 7.45 and was at the airport for 8.30am :shock: Our flight didn't depart until 8.45 pm. We popped everything in left luggage and spent the day in Miami. Arrived next day in Madrid only to find flights cancelled because of ice and snow until the evening. Finally got into málaga at 11pm that night. Needed another holiday to get over it. :lol:

Sandramay, thanks for the tips :wave:

David Jones
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby David Jones » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Yes Katie, Fantasia is MSC.

What a brilliant idea, staying on land at the end. ie cruise and stay.