WIFI antenna

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
julian
Andalucia Guru

WIFI antenna

Postby julian » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:54 pm

can anyone point me in the right direction to finding some sort of antenna or booster or something that I can plug into the laptop to pick up wifi (unblocked) from a fair distance?

wildside
Resident

Re: WIFI antenna

Postby wildside » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:12 pm

I just bought a wifi usb for 12 euros.... I tested it at 50 metres from the telefonica wifi connection in my place.... At at 60 metres it lost the connection....(instructions said up to 25 metres in a house but i guess that includes walls etc) i think thats pretty cool....From a fixed position you could put a 2 metre usb extension on it and fiddle a bit......

What are you after... A neighbours open and unlimited connection? :)

High gain 150mbps TP-link (TL-WN722N)

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:17 pm

thanks !
I was after "borrowing" a bit of wifi occasionally from a local near my appartment in tangiers, their wifi is not locked, and I am an occasional client !!! :wink:

anything that works at a further distance? 60metres wouldn´t be enough !!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:21 pm

I've seen the plums of many a wifi thief dangling from hooks in Tangers......beware :shock:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:23 pm

I only want to borrow a bit, I´d give it back afterwards, so it´s not really thieving !

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:42 pm

Bandwidth thief.
Dave

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:46 pm

wasn´t it you Mowser who had some sort of antenna/dish wired up to pick up wifi ? I seem to remember you posting a foto of it, or was it someone esle?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:03 pm

Indeed Julian. Here it is.

Dave

.Griff.
Resident

Postby .Griff. » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:06 pm

Mowser wrote:Indeed Julian. Here it is.

Is that Europe-Satellite's latest sales pitch? :lol:

elmolino

Postby elmolino » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:13 pm

julian wrote:thanks !
I was after "borrowing" a bit of wifi occasionally from a local near my appartment in tangiers, their wifi is not locked, and I am an occasional client !!! :wink:

anything that works at a further distance? 60metres wouldn´t be enough !!
The owner of a wifi modem is responsable to protect the wifi part, I believe this is the case in the UK, not sure in Spain. So you both can be in legal problems :):)

We sell wifi modems with a 30KM range, dont think you need this :) but the signal will be for sure good in and around your house. Send us an email via our website and we will send a quotation back asap. Delivery about 1 - 2 weeks and prices around 200- 250 euro.
Last edited by elmolino on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elmolino

Postby elmolino » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:16 pm

.Griff. wrote:
Mowser wrote:Indeed Julian. Here it is.

Is that Europe-Satellite's latest sales pitch? :lol:
You can see above and many other photos of our installations on our webside click here.

btw, the photo reminds me of a installer (local) trying to find a satellite signal when we where working in Iraq for the army. He told us, he had a problem to find the satellite :)

Have also a look here click here. There are some very nice ones :)
Last edited by elmolino on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:19 pm

thanks all

Mowser, that´s the thing I remembered ...from the foto it looks as if you don´t even need the laptop for it to work, perfect !!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:39 pm

julian wrote:thanks all

Mowser, that´s the thing I remembered ...from the foto it looks as if you don´t even need the laptop for it to work, perfect !!
Correct. Everything is now possible with implants. I was having a walk with some friends and one of them stopped to answer his "phone." He put his thumb in his ear and his little finger to his mouth. He told us he had an earpiece attached to his thumb and a microphone implanted in his little finger.

My other friend said he had similar implants. He went behind the bushes and dropped his trousers. He said was expecting a fax.

:eh:
Dave

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:03 am

Surely there is some way that the "owner" of the WIFI could identify the computers that are using their feed, or the traffic going through it!!!

For example face book or emails will identify you very quickly.

Im assuming you live in an area full of brits so do not stick out from the locals.

Also if its unsecure any third party could tune into your transmissions so dont whatever you do start shopping online!!!

just a thought

acen

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:27 pm

nope , I´m the only non-moroccan in the area, I asked the wifi owner(moroccan) and he says there is no problem for me to borrow some of his wifi if I can pick it up !! :thumbup:
no shopping, just for emails mainly

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:35 pm

Julian, I thought you were in marbella, on further reading you are talking about Tangiers!!!!

Apologies

acen

ps you dont have to justify yourself im not the Guardia!!!! or as crooked as the policia local :clap:

Ive had experience of hooking onto someone unencrypted wifi, they realised that others were using it and put a password on it very soon after!!!!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:20 pm

thanks Acen
the guy even said he would leave it on at night when he´s shut if I wanted !!!! :thumbup:
I´m mostly in marbella, but gradually working my way to live over the water eventually...have to get out of this mad europe soon !!! :wink:

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:16 am

Hi Julian.............long time no see :wave:

Why not just buy one of those dongle things, over the counter in Marjane or at the MorocTelecom shops.
Cheap to buy and come with a months connection and the "pay as you go" on a daily basis. Bonus is that you can then use it anywhere in Morocco.
Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"