Bullying teacher_Suicidal child.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
WorriedMum

Bullying teacher_Suicidal child.

Postby WorriedMum » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:46 pm

Last night I walked in on my 10 year old son whilst he was attempting to take his own life. He had a cord tied around his neck with the other end tied to the top of his bunk-bed.

We have been having problems with his school teacher since she took over the post in September. He is being victimised by her and is subjected to what I would describe as mental torture. Her tactics include tearing his completed homework from his exercise book in front of him and throwing it in the waste-paper basket. She then marks the next page to the effect that he has not done his homework. I know he did his homework because I checked. I am now having to scan all of his homework to keep a copy for future reference.

He receives no help in class, when he raises his hand to request help, he is ignored. The other children receive help. She uses other bullying tactics which I won't go into here at the moment. Understandably he has become more and more withdrawn and frustrated with the situation.

He has been in the same school since he was 3 years old, needless to say he is fully integrated as well as fluent in the language and there have never been any problems in the past.

The teacher is now suggesting that he has behavioural problems. Any requests to meet with her and the Director to discuss the situation are sent to me by recorded delivery. I am sure that this is not normal procedure- I can only assume that she is trying to build some sort of case against us.

I have no axe to grind and have been generally satisfied with the level of education he has received here previously. His teacher for the last two years was excellent.

His current teacher last taught at a school in Malaga and Jaen (where she lives) before being posted here. We live in a remote area.
I have reason to believe that other parents may have had similar issues with her at the previous schools and I would appeal to anyone to contact me if any of the above sounds familiar to you or you know of anyone whose child has received similar treatment.

As the situation has now become desperate, I would be obviously most grateful for any information anyone can give me.

Please feel free to contact me by private message in total confidence if you believe you may know the identity of this teacher and maybe could give me some further information.

Many Thanks.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Bullying teacher_Suicidal child.

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:04 pm

Sorry - I can't help at all, just wanted to wish you luck :thumbup: in this difficult situation
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:53 pm

Can't really offer any help with naming and shaming the teacher.

But I do think that your first port of call should be your Doctor, who I'm sure will be able to help your son, and if you get the backing of your Doctor you would be in a much better position to stand up to the Director/ Teacher.
Maybe it would be better to keep your son away from the school for awhile, you certainly have good grounds to do so...

Good luck,
Regards,
Gordon

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:03 pm

talk first to the director, everything that goes on in the school is his/her responsibility.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:12 pm

I would advise that the first step is to withdraw the child immediately! The child needs to know that his cry for help has been heard, loud and clear!

The next step is to talk with the director. I would also make it clear that unless this person is dealt with, you will make her tactics public, in the press.

Goodness knows how people like this ever got into the teaching profession!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:52 pm

Marina wrote:I would advise that the first step is to withdraw the child immediately! The child needs to know that his cry for help has been heard, loud and clear!
My two are long, long past school age, but if I thought someone was causing any child of mine to attempt suicide, like you, I would immediately remove my child and worry about the consequences later. Must be a terrible time for you.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

patchdog
Resident

Postby patchdog » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:05 pm

Totally support what Marina said,whatever is going on you must listen to your childs call for help and keep your son away from the school.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:16 pm

Yes it is vital that you keep your son out of school and tell him it is in support of him, that being treated like that is not acceptable at all. He needs to feel heard, supported and that he matters....I´m sure you know all this anyway but don´t feel bullied yourself by the fact this is a different country, you actually have the right to home educate your child in Spain if you wish so they cannot force him to go to school and they cannot force him to go to that school either. However this teacher needs to be stopped.

Arrange a meeting with the school director and a proper translator who is 100% independent of the school, see if any of your son´s friends have videoed their teacher or taped her on their mobile phones for evidence....if not maybe suggest they do and say your son is off sick for a few days to try and gather evidence.

Horrible for all of you and so glad you went in to your son´s room on time.

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:30 am

I'm sending you a PM

HKM
Resident

Postby HKM » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:24 am

I have an 11 year old son and I posted about difficulties with his teacher a few weeks ago.. If I was you my son would be not going back to school until this is sorted.

In my son's case I contacted the director through a friend and the director did not have a clue what was going on, he was horrified to learn what she had said to us (by email that my son was going to be moved back 3 years immediatly)...

I don't know what went on exactly but she has been nice as pie, she had been really good up until this point too so I haven't a clue where it came from...we had an apology and the headmaster said we could move my son if we wanted to another class in his year but he doesn't want to leave his friends and she had never said anything to him only this email...

We also have an excellent Orientadora at the school, who is very helpful do you have one at your son's school? Have you contacted the director directly? He may not know what is going on...

I hope you get to the bottom of things, we also live very rural but I can't say I have heard of such a woman.

HKM

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:30 pm

I too would take him out of the school straight away.
My experience of complaining about teachers here in Spain has always fallen on deaf ears.One year head teacher even told me I shouldn't complain about the standard of teaching by individuals.
Your problem is as serious as it could be and the welfare of the child should be the most important thing so withdrawing him from the school should be your first action. After that any complaints about the teacher should be made in writing to the Director of the school and if it is a state school, to the local authorities as well. If it is private, you'll need to find out who is in overall charge.
Good luck..

Ambre Solaire
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ambre Solaire » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:03 pm

What a horrific situation both you and your son are in. You urgently require help and support from a number of professional areas. My thoughts and prayers are with you both

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:51 am

Hi Worried mum,
What a terrible thing to experience, I can only imagine what you and your son are going through. As the mother of a 10 year old boy also, I would agree with the above and remove him from school immediately. I would also go to the school and demand to see the Director immediately. Don't wait for an appointment, this is not a matter that should be taken lightly and this needs to be impressed upon them. Speak to the parents of some of his classmates as children will often go home and tell their parents if things like this are going on in class or if any of them have had any problems with this teacher. Contact the department of education in your area and make a formal complaint. This teacher needs to be removed from the system before her bullying does result in the death of a child.
Please let us know how you get on.

Ambre Solaire
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ambre Solaire » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:42 pm

Worried Mum

I have been thinking of you and your son all week, how are you both ?

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:15 am

What's happened to the OP, worried mum, should we be worried by her disappearance? :thumbdown: