Telefonica alternatives?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
phil_euro
Andalucia.com Amigo

Telefonica alternatives?

Postby phil_euro » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:03 pm

I have had enough of Telefonia/Movistar's service/quality or lack there of. For months I have been phoning and complaining about the speed and quality of the internet connection here and they just do nothing. (I've been a customer of their's for 11 years!).

For a laugh, here are my pingtest results:

Anyway - what alternatives are there that actually work? I live in Sotogrande. I am concerned that switching providers will not help as I think there is a physical problem with the line going out of the house... Telefonica's engineer refuses to look at the line so will any other company do any better?

I work from home so this is a bit vital. My options seem to be either move or rent an office (or leave Spain for a country that offers better internet connectivity - i.e. anywhere)

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Telefonica alternatives?

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:35 pm

Before giving up on Telefónica try writing to the head office in Madrid. Make sure that it is in good Spanish and send it 'certificado con acuso de recibo' to:

A López
Jefe Servicio al Client Telefónica de España S.A
Gran Vía 28
28013 Madrid

Once you can get past the gestapo on the front line the engineers on the ground are really quite helpful. A Cobra supervisor gave me his mobile number a while ago and told me to contact him directly if I had any further problem. Unfortunately he made me promise not to pass it on.
Let's go Brandon!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:31 pm

Hi phil_euro,
My first test was to the same sever as you , the second to a Recommended one.
Try your tests at various times of the day and see if you get a pattern emerging , ie a busy time service poor.

From your one off test ....your line could be the problem, especially as you have "Packet Loss"
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

phil_euro
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby phil_euro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:37 am

Thanks Enrique.
I am pretty sure my line - the physical line - is the problem. Except Telefonica/Movistar refuse to do anything about it. They have sent a technician out, but he looked at it (without using a computer!) and said it was fine.
What can I do?
It also could be my router. But Telefonica also refuse to do anything about that - I am using my own modem/router as I have been a customer for 10 years and they won't give me a new one! Or tell me how to set up my own.
I figure if I switch to Orange at least I will get a new modem/router.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:25 am

Regardless of who you use you will still be using the same line, exchange , etc; & still maintained by Telefonica. Only you will not be dealing with them direct & will be farther down the queue !
Todos somos Lorca.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:33 am

Telefonica should be able to do a line test on the phone to confirm if there is a line problem or not !

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:51 pm

Beachcomber wrote:Once you can get past the gestapo on the front line the engineers on the ground are really quite helpful. A Cobra supervisor gave me his mobile number a while ago and told me to contact him directly if I had any further problem. Unfortunately he made me promise not to pass it on.
Sorry to drag up this old topic and even sorrier for quoting my own post but this morning I was driving down our lane when I noticed that the high winds had detached some telephone cables (one of which is mine) from a post and they were hanging low in the road at a height at which they could be brought down by a passing lorry.

I called 1002 but the operator insisted that because I still had a telephone connection she could not report it as a fault. I tried to explain that re-attaching the cables to the post would be a five minute job whereas if they were ripped apart by a passing vehicle it could take all day but I may as well have been talking to a brick wall.

I called my Cobra technician's mobile with apologies for contacting him directly. He thanked me and said he would attend to it. I decided to go back and wait by the cables so that they did not get ripped down in the meantime but on my way I was flashed by what turned out to be a Cobra van driven by my technician who told me that he had fixed the cables and thanked me again saying that if the cables had been caught by a passing vehicle it would have taken him much longer!
Let's go Brandon!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:30 pm

And therein lies the key to successful living in Spain - its all about WHO you know................