First Holy Communion

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
kim.red.85

First Holy Communion

Postby kim.red.85 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:08 pm

I really want to have my daughter make her First Holy Communion soon. I understand that here in spain they have to attend mass each week and do a preparation class for sometime prior to making it etc. I just wondered is there another way of doing this. I normally bring my daughter to the english service held in arroyo as and when i can. i do not like to attend the mass in spanish as i do not yet understand it. For this reason I would very much like my daughter to be able to make her first holy communion in english.

i know an irish priest performs in arroyo de la miel each on st. patricks day as i have attended it often to hear the prayers in irish. I wondered if he, or any other priest carry out first holy communion somewhere in andalucia in english? First holy communion is quite an important day for us back in ireland so it would be great if i could arrange my daughter to make it through english and to invite the family over for it. Also in Ireland it is usually made around age 8. My daughter will be 8 soon and as she has been brought to mass and taught religion most of her life so I feel she would be ready for it soon too.

If anyone could give me any advise or suggestions on how I could arrange this I would be extremely grateful. I did ask the priest, that performs the mass in english in arroyo for advise on this matter but unfortunately did not offer much assistance regretably.

Much thanks.

pilgrim2
Resident

Re: First Holy Communion

Postby pilgrim2 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:37 am

Does she go to the local school? At my sons school preperation classes were done in the religion lesson and as it got nearer to the time, after school classes as well. Though all in Spanish. I would have thought you will be a bit late for this years ?

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:43 pm

In Spain they now do it when they are ten.They also do it during the month of May so she won't be able to do it this year.In my experience, even if they go to Catholic run schools, they still do the preparation in the local parish church.Classes start in October.I am sure that come the autumn she will be fluent in Spanish and won't have any problem.Children learn new languages so quickly..

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:59 am

There are also some priests who don't insist on the classes. You would need to ask parents of other chldren to find out which church might do this. My niece had hers about 50 kms from here and I don't think she had ever been to the church there before