BBC Real Story & expat language skills

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.

Should basic competency in the Spanish language be a condition of granting Residencia?

Yes
64%
No
28%
Don't know/don't care
9%

Total votes: 69

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:27 pm

After all the discussion why should it be a condition of residency? I do think people are missing out by not speaking the language of the country they live in but the Brits who come here are not freeloading, they are injecting a substantial amount of money from other countries into the local economy, most people have fat transfers coming into banks here (and charged highly for them) which in one way or another goes into the spanish economy.

Judging by the ex-pats I meet (and NOT only on the CDS) probably 98% would have to leave España if this were a requirement. I have met more true Spanish speakers in the UK.

Isn't this the point? we have ghettos of English speakers in Spain that never make the effort, when the Pakistanis do this in the UK, we get postings saying they should integrate and learn English!!

I cant agree with the figure of 98% - yes on the coast there is no necessity to be able to speak Spanish you can survive perfectly well in English. But go Inland and you HAVE to be able to speak the language as NO-ONE will be able to speak English fluently and your children will learn only in Spanish at the local school.

Many of The Brits I meet all have fluent Spanish, many learnt Spanish before they moved out and that's the reason they came to Spain for the culture, had nothing to do with it being cheap! They enjoy the lifestyle - very family orientated/ a lots more laid-back and less stressful and many run B and B or teach English to get an income. They are familiar with spanish authors/films and watch local TV, and go to the local ferias/fiestas.

Of all the nations in Europe the Brits have the worst reputation among the Spanish - why because we continue to exist in Ghettos, not speaking Spanish, NOT integrating with the locals and spend hours getting *beep* in bars and walking around dressed completely inappropriately - how many times have you watched the Holidaymaker burst into a church wearing bikini tops/vests and shorts and talk loudly during the mass showing no respect for the locals praying?? Likewise we go into shops and abuse and swear at the the owner for not being able to communicate in English with us!!

Cant agree about the freeloaders either, in general yes a majority of Brits have retired or have private funds, but I've seen postings on here about people getting money from Government, avoiding paying tax and boasting about it! A real social security (everyone owes me a living) attitude they have brought over from the UK.

Spanish lessons should be compulsory for residents, after all we are horrified about the amount of money spent in the UK translating government documents into Asian Languages, doesn't anyone else hear the hypocrisy here????

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:35 pm

Brits don't get anything out of Spanish SS here and I think you play-up the brit attitude, I don't hear Brits swearing etc

Speaking the language cannot be compared to the UK. If Spain made this a requirement it would be killing the goose that laid the diamond studded egg! I'm not biased if you read my postings I am more than fluent. I do think people should learn as they speak about starting a new life but have not even prepared themselves by starting to learn español but a requirement - never.

sherlock holmes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sherlock holmes » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:53 pm

I think you play-up the brit attitude, I don't hear Brits swearing etc

you're not serious are you ? I cant take visiting small children out to our urb pool because of the swearing from neighbor's children 8+ years to 15. Their parents are just as bad. Ask them to stop in front of us and you get a load load of abuse and threats! And we are not in a bad area.

Walk along the coastal bars at night and tell me you don't hear the "fxxing this" fxxing that" I've also heard drunken guys abusing the barman because he got the order wrong or was a bit slow.

Come on Katy we all know "A.com land" is perfect but ...... :roll:

Marina
Resident

Speaking the language

Postby Marina » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:29 pm

last week, I took some visiting friends to visit a very nice beach bar. I haven't been there for several weeks and was very surprised to find there were very few customers. (The bar, previously Spanish run, had been bought earlier this year by a british couple, but had, I believe retained Spanish Staff.)
While we were there the service was appalling. It took 30 mins to get served with a drink and (having fetched the menu ourselves) our food order was never taken. Eventually we decided to leave and eat elsewhere. However while we were there, we noticed three other families come into the bar,from the beach, wait, and leave without even being served with drinks.
I phoned my teenage daughter and suggested that if she got herself there, and asked for a job, she may be lucky.
She went straight there only to be told that they would only employ staff with fluent Spanish. (She only has GCSE level, and doesn't have the confidence to exaggegerate her ability.)Therefore, my bright, presentable daughter, was unable to get a job in a beach bar where potencial customers were walking out the door! If this had been my buissiness, I would consider that a smiling, willing person, who could get drinks on the tables, would be better than being so short staffed that people were leaving, possible never to return. After all, just how much conversation is actually needed in this situation? Surely even a complete beginner could pick up what was necessary in a very short time?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:23 am

you're not serious are you ? I cant take visiting small children out to our urb pool because of the swearing from neighbor's children 8+ years to 15. Their parents are just as bad. Ask them to stop in front of us and you get a load load of abuse and threats! And we are not in a bad area.
What do you class as a "bad area"? Just because it's not a poor area, doesn't make it a good area. If it's full of foul mouthed Brits, it does not sound a particularly good area to me. Never quite sure why some people think it should be "good", simply because it is a well off area. Money is no guarantee that they will be nice people, often quite the reverse, in my experience.
Brits don't get anything out of Spanish SS here and I think you play-up the brit attitude, I don't hear Brits swearing etc
I don't suppose there are any recipients of SS in your area Katy, but is that true for all Brits? Does nobody get any benefits? I find that difficult to believe. We're all Eoropeans, aren't we, we should all have similar benefits available to us! :D As for Brits not swearing, time to replace the batteries in that hearing aid! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: BBC Real Story & expat language skills

Postby markwilding » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:27 am

very good forum which I would like to resurrect
There have been many good points some I agree with and some i dont but at this point i'd like to say without codoning swearing. If anyone understands Spanish well they would realise how much the Spanish swear in thier own language
Last edited by markwilding on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Re:

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:13 am

katy wrote: In a bar about the only person who wants to (or has the time) speak to you is usually the local scrounger and they will probably speak bad spanish.
That may be the case in Marbella but it isn't iwhere we live. Guess the villages are friendlier.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:25 am

Little old Catholic ladies in my pueblo have a nice line in blasphemy! :D

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:37 am

I quoted your own words Katy, not Mark´s !

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:53 am

I don't give a *beep* who you quoted, it's old and most people aren't around to defend what they said. Threads ought to be locked after a certain shelf life.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:54 am

The Euro was at 1.453 when this thread was started in Image
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:56 am

The question has become entirely academic, anyway, as a citizen of an EU member state now has an absolute right to reside in any other member state without formal permission.
Let's go Brandon!

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:02 am

Historical Quotes by Katy - does have a certain ring to it I suppose :wink: :roll:

I find the old folks that I help with Age Concern revisit the past too :lol:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:20 am

markwilding wrote:very good forum which I would like to resurrect
There have been many good points some I agree with and some i dont but at this point i'd like to say without codoning swearing. If anyone understands Spanish well they would realise how much the Spanish swear in thier own language
Markwilding - why are you resurrecting a 4 year old thread? :?
Devils Advocate wrote:The Euro was at 1.453 when this thread was started in Image
Oh heady days :lol:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:20 am

Hey I only reopened this post because I thought it was interesting. The points origionally put are still relevent and nobody should have to defend themselves. they are opinions which everybody has the right to .Its just others have different ways of looking at things
I stll think its a very interesting topic and I hope people will continue to give thier opnion but without being rude to each other

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:42 am

The question has become entirely academic, anyway, as a citizen of an EU member state now has an absolute right to reside in any other member state without formal permission.
Indeed and which is why I could not understand, in another thread, the purpose of seeking permanent residence after 5 years! :?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:56 am

hillybilly wrote:
markwilding wrote:very good forum which I would like to resurrect
Markwilding - why are you resurrecting a 4 year old thread? :?
Devils Advocate wrote:The Euro was at 1.453 when this thread was started in Image
Oh heady days :lol:
I live and work in Spain. for me these are the heady days. When I went to London in July evrEything seemed so cheap 8)

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:57 pm

This seems to be one more thread that I can't follow.
Julian, WHERE did you quote Katy's own words?
Katy, if you can't remember what you posted, either post less or get a test for Alzeheimers.
Admin, stop editing threads so that what is left becomes nonsense. :?

Grumpy today? Me? Surely not?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:22 pm

Yes a sure sign of grumpiness when the only point is to tell someone to post less. Where did I say I can't remember what I posted :?: Even if I can't FFS it's 4 years old thread

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:33 pm

I blame Hilly, she started this thread :lol: