Very cheap red wine

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
ken2
Resident

Very cheap red wine

Postby ken2 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:15 pm

€3.99 for 5L RED WINE,from Aldi rubbish i hear you say,but?? i don't think so,it's called Marcus Pitarra, its from Extremadura Almendralejo, it is a very young wine, in a plastic bottle, yuk i hear from some one, but my palate Say's it ain't half bad, could not believe brought a bottle, i got the 2L bottle for €1.99 ha ha drunk it over the weekend, so got some people coming in for drinks on Wednesday, i'm going to put out a couple of red wines in carafes, and see what is said, this one a reasonable wine and a little better wine, well only my choice, I'm no expert, i just like what i like,i use to love to wait in the town in Boston lincs for the first shop that got back with the young french wine , it was just about ready for Christmas dinner, can't not rememer the name,? has anyone tried it?? and what do you think?,

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Very cheap red wine

Postby BENIDORM » Mon May 16, 2011 7:12 pm

KEN,
Well your recommended red wine seems to have reached parts not normally reached by other wines....your spelling has improved dramatically.... :lol: :lol:

I've tried many wines from the Extremadura region and most have been palatable, so I will seek out your recommendation and give it a go !

To be honest we always use the cheaper reds for Tinto Verano..absolutely fine... :thumbup:

Cheers...

Gordon....

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:23 pm

Beni, my spelling has improved with time, this is down to reading and computers, so it is true that you are never to old to learn, but i still do not have the confidence to post without using the spell check, i still make the bad mistakes like , freind and should be friend, ha ha and you do have to do your very best on this forum to please the prat's that like to have a pop at you,i do hope you try this cheap wine,i think it's cheap because its young and plentiful, so has been put in a plastic bottle, no cork, not much of a label, no export, and possible sold direct, ha ha , and possibly is a better earner than a dressed up bottle,

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon May 16, 2011 10:39 pm

Ken,
To be honest I really don't care how bad anyone's spelling is..it is more important that they make the effort to communicate...I was just having a larf... :wave:

We will be going to Aldi this week , so will have a go at your wine recommendation..
Over the last few weeks there has been some really good offers in Lidl and Aldi with case offers...so we've been stocking up..
I'm also just starting with my own wine making ...hopefully my Chateau Gordon will be ready in a few months. :) ...also got 4 Rhum pots on the go now...
Regards,
Gordon

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:04 am

ha ha, Beni i was not having ago at you about spelling,it's a shame we can't spell how we talk, like when i use to call my dear old mother, she would of thought i was being a bit strange if i called out ,(mother ) ha ha , she would of expected to hear, (muvver) and then you listen to people talk out here, they are from all over the British isles,none talk like they write, except the ones that went to school and had to talk with a plum in there mouth, ha ha, well that's a bit over the top, but you must get my drift, use to make buckets of wine back in the seventies, was the in thing,one of the cheapest ones and also tasted not bad, ha ha (not like some) tea,?? we use to use a nice tea pot then, not like now, blooming tea bag in the cup, anyway there was always tea left in the pot, and within a day or two you have three quarters of a demijohn some yeast sugar and away you go, some time get it going with a little grape concentrate too,Beni have you tried the recipe i put on here for limonchello?? i got a big jar with two bottles of gin and fillup with Nispero, or what is also called Loquats, bag sugar and put in a dark place?? i have had a little taste, its going to be fine(i think)??

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Tue May 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Mercadona sell a perfectly drinkable red wine called "Domino de Borgia" from Zaragoza, quite close to the Rioja region. It is only €2.19 for a 2 litre plastic bottle. You can also buy it in 5L bottles which works out at less than €5 :thumbup:
Ann

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Tue May 17, 2011 3:58 pm

Thanks for that,Annfoto ,but as these are young wines ,how long will they keep after opening them?? i like a drink, but if i don't have company then it will take a bit of time for me to drink the 5L i'll have ago, ha ha

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue May 17, 2011 5:09 pm

Ken that stuff will rot your teeth :D :lol:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue May 17, 2011 6:16 pm

... if he had any!
Dave

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:17 pm

ha ha ha , could be very true, not sure how many teeth i got, but they are all my own, i put it down to Sensodyne , and gin,the gin kills off any attack form cheap win, ha ha jokes aside, i think this is a good wine sold direct, without a lot of people adding there threepence worth,perhaps we have a wine dealer reading this forum to put me right or wrong,be nice to know,mind you when you buy it you will not have someone telling you that it has a nice smell of fresh picked blackberries, that was growing wild next to a strawberry field that still has the odd plum tree in that gives of this beautiful aroma,with the tang of the first buttercup's of the season,

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:29 am

I was told that if we wanted a good wine to go with our Christmas dinner, to get a Pinot Noir. so we shopped for it, but never found it,can you tell me where you can get in in Fuengirola please.don't rush i got 5L still to drink, ha ha.

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:04 am

Oh i see a post has been removed,could you pm me wher you bought the named wine,

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 18, 2011 10:49 am

Ken, Pinot Noir is not a wine - it is a grape variety used to make red wine.

You will usually find the grape variety that the wine is made from on the back label rather than the front.

Pinot Noir is not a grape native to Spain and although it does exist it is pretty rare. It is the grape used to make the famous Burgundy wines in France. It is used all around the world but not often in Spain.

If you want to find some you will need to look in the expensive stores or wine merchants and expect to pay quite a bit for it.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed May 18, 2011 1:34 pm

Read that italian wine is gaining in popularity at the expense of the French. TBH Italian wine doesn't do much for me. Unless drinking it on a terrace overlooking the Amalfi coast :D

bob
Resident

Postby bob » Wed May 18, 2011 2:25 pm

“Pinot Noir is not a wine - it is a grape variety used to make red wine”

Pinot Noir is most certainly a wine in and of itself, as are: Cabernet Sauvignons, Syrahs, Merlots, Chardonnays, Gewurtztraminers, etc.

“You will usually find the grape variety that the wine is made from on the back label rather than the front”

99% of the wines in my cellar have the name on the front label. The exception would be blends that are called table wines, crianzas or labelled, ‘vino negro, rojo or blanco’

Yes, a Spanish Pinot Noir is expensive:
Torres Mas Borras Pinot Noir, Penedes, Spain, 2007 will cost about 30 euros.
Vinas del Vero makes a great Pinot Noir for about 20 euros.

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:29 pm

Thanks for the information on Pinot Noir , looks like i get to read the wine label's whilst she does her bit, great can drift off on my own,thanks,

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 18, 2011 6:13 pm

bob wrote: Pinot Noir is most certainly a wine in and of itself, as are: Cabernet Sauvignons, Syrahs, Merlots, Chardonnays, Gewurtztraminers, etc.
I am sorry but they are not. They are just the names of the grape used in the manufacture.

If it was a "wine" it would just say "Pinot Noir" on the label and nothing else.

You would not walk into a wine merchant and ask for a bottle of Pinot Noir - you would specify which one.

Similarly you would not ask for a Chardonnay when you wanted a bottle of Corton-Charlemagne.

You say :- "99% of the wines in my cellar have the name on the front label."

You must have a strange collection of wines - the only wine I have seen in Spain like that come from Lidl!

Sid

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed May 18, 2011 6:22 pm

While agreeing with Sid re names of grapes, by common usage people sometimes refer to wines by their grape name. eg ...
"Do you have a bottle of Pinot Noir?"
Dave

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Mowser wrote:While agreeing with Sid re names of grapes, by common usage people sometimes refer to wines by their grape name. eg ...
"Do you have a bottle of Pinot Noir?"
True, but my point is that it isn't quite as simple as that. It's a step in the right direction with regard to getting the wine you want but you really need to know more precisely which wine you want as they can all differ enormously. If you knew all about real ale, you wouldn't walk into a good English pub and ask for a beer would you?

If you walked into a wine merchant and asked for a Tempranillo you could be offered 70% of the bottles he had! Almost all Rioja and Ribero del Duero wines are made from that grape and countless others.

Knowing the grape variety is key to choosing a wine. Each grape variety produces wines with different characteristics. If, for instance, you find that you like wines made from Cabernet Sauvignon, then you should look for wines made from that grape as, although they will all come in different qualities, they should show the same basic characteristics.

White wines often show more pronounced differences between grape varieties. A Chardonnay is entirely different from Sauvignon Blanc. That can be magnified enormously if the Chardonnay has been aged in oak barrels when the Sauvignon Blanc is almost never aged in oak. Try a dry wine based on the Moscatel grape (very common in Malaga province) - entirely different to any other Spanish wine - I love it but you might hate it.

Rosado wines in Spain show a wide range of tastes based on the grape varieties. They are usually all pretty good but they can be very different - individual taste determines which one you like best but the grape variety is an essential guide. Try one made from Cabernet Sauvignon and one made from Grenache and you will taste the difference.

But, as I said before, most Spanish wines have the grape variety on the back label - if you find a wine based on a particular grape variety that you like, that is the place to look first. After that it's down to your own personal taste. You can pay anything from 50c for a bottle of Spanish wine to €1000 - last time I was in El Corte Ingles they had a bottle of Flor de Pingus for €1000. They also had a bottle of French Chateaux Petrus for €2400 and it didn't have the grape variety on the front label :wink: :wink:

Sid

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed May 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Sid
Do they sell it in litre cartons?
Dave