Wish you were here?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
kevin77
Resident

Wish you were here?

Postby kevin77 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:03 pm

What a great bank holiday weekend its been back in the UK!
Sunshine all the way - about 25 degrees, not up to Andalucia sweatbox standards but quite comfortable.
We slammed the Aussies at cricket - I bet you dont play that in Spain, you need this stuff called grass to play on.
The footie season got off to a start - Chelsea are winning obviously!
Michael Owen is coming back to Liverpool - he trusts scousers more than madrilenos.
And Tony Blair is bringing in extended opening hours, to keep us in line with the continent - i'll vote for that fella again!
What more could you want?.
Seriously, the best place to spend August is Britain, no? What do you all think?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:38 pm

gets my vote, lets all go home :D
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: Wish you were here?

Postby frank » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:41 am

kevin77 wrote: Seriously, the best place to spend August is Britain, no? What do you all think?
Have to be honest, I much prefer 25 degrees, to some of the baking temps in Span in August, indeed all thro' this summer. Indeed, I'm not averse to the ocassional rain, Spain could certainly do with some. However, I can't share your enthusiasm for the start of the footie season, or the all day drinking. :D Neither hold any interest for me. Football does have very similar status in Spain, so not much difference there, however, I'm sure most Brits in Spain will be aiming their Joderal Bank size dishes towards UK to pick up the English footie. Seems they can turn their backs on UK, but not on the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea etc. :lol: Sad innit? Agree about the cricket though, I've never seen my wife watch cricket, let alone get excited by it. A couple of excellent tight finishes, and for a change, the results favoured us. Mind you, one game to go yet, it's not over till the fat señora sings!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

alison0482
Tourist

Postby alison0482 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:51 pm

Now what is wrong with football? We have just got our season tickets to Malaga! :lol: Afraid we are one of the few Brits that do not have UK tv to watch, Spanish tv has enough rubbish to keep us going! Although the kids would like Sky here. Had a phonecall from relative in the UK in the south east of England it is due to get to 31-32 deg tomorrow, bad news is thunderstorms due in the evening. Do you think they can send some rain here to us?
Just an afterthought........ with all the news on tv about water shortages, why was a council workman standing with the hosepipe just watering grass for goodness sake (1pm too not even when it was cool) ? :shock: Shouldn´t the councils be the first to set an example and save water?

SpanishBlue
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Wish you were here?

Postby SpanishBlue » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:21 pm

Michael Owen is coming back to Liverpool - he trusts scousers more than madrilenos.

I think you will find Mr Owen is about to sign for the Barcodes :shock:

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:49 pm

Yes, turns out they are the only club who would have him - apart from Wigan who put in an offer. I was listening to Talksport tonight and a lot of scousers who had sold their houses to get to Istanbul were ringing in saying he was a **** for taking the money and going to Madrid in the first place, and why should we have him back etc. Well, theres always Big Peter Crouch!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:43 am

kevin77 wrote:Yes, turns out they are the only club who would have him - apart from Wigan who put in an offer. I was listening to Talksport tonight and a lot of scousers who had sold their houses to get to Istanbul were ringing in saying he was a **** for taking the money and going to Madrid in the first place, and why should we have him back etc.

I think it might have been on the same programme, someone said something to the effect that it was very unlikely that Liverpool, having sold him a year ago for 8 million(?), would pay twice that to get him back! :D He's hardly become twice the player he was in 12 months, has he? :cry:
Regards, Frank

sherlock holmes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sherlock holmes » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:27 pm

Here I am sitting in a pub garden in Herts lovely sun shine, slight breeze, even though its 30 degrees in the UK, why does it seem nicer than in SPain?

Is it
-1. the distance from the Equator? sun is not overhead like in CDS
2. Cloud cover - we always have a lot more clouds to break up the sky
3. Humidity - its always very damp here and never more than a couple of days with rain.

I'm hope it doesnt rain over the weekend so we can enjoy this lovely weather 8) then I have a weeks business trip in Holland and Belgium where more sun is forecast before coming back to Spain., - guaranteed sun - and we all wish it would rain :roll:

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:19 pm

Yes, Sherlock, Britain is not a bad place to be in summer. I much prefer this climate, its so much healthier for the body. Funny when I say that on this forum in winter I get jumped on by certain people! Im sure those people are now dreaming of grotty old British rain.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:36 pm

I remember in my mispent youth in the forces, I spent two glorious years in Aden! :( The sun would come up in the morning, travel across a cloudless sky, and settle in the west. Next day, it would come up, travel across a cloudless sky, and settle in the west, Next day.......... Christ, it was boring! Had the prayer mat out for rain, but it never worked! Spent a glorious couple of hours this afternoon though, walking the coast path of Pembrokeshire, a mere 25 degrees, but absolute bliss! Saw four people in three hours. And the same tomorrow! And to think I have to give all this up to come on holiday to Andalucia later in the month! :D
Regards, Frank

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:04 pm

I know what you mean Frank, Southern Spain is great for a winter holiday but Summer is a real endurance test - and anybody who says otherwise has been affected by the heat!
Britains climate has not been altered by global warming that much yet (well compared to other places in the news) and still has four distinct seasons. I like that, and I am prepared to wear gloves and scarf in winter, so that I can see the colours of autumn and breathe the fresh air in Spring! Viva Gran Bretana! Im sick of all the losers moving out there and slagging blighty. Well Burn Baby Burn! You wanted heat, now you have got it! How does it feel?

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:07 pm

Wonderful, absolutely marvellous thanks! No traffic, no fumes, plenty of fresh air, lovely breeze today. Later I will go to the bar and have a beer and a tapas for 1 euro or even a bacardi and coke for 2 euros 50. Over here I can afford to go out and at any time of the night without seeing groups of yobbos who throw beer down them like theres no tomorrow and finish the evening off with a fight. You know Kev, doesn´t matter what you say, you won´t convince me that it´s better over there, absolutely no way, no comparison.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

winkie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby winkie » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:54 pm

Love Spain,

While in u.k. always looking forward to the next chance to spend a laid back restful time in Andalucia and using the opportunity to practice my spanish on the locals.

But too much of a good thing is not always good for me, over a long period of time, (can get a bit home sick and if the truth be known bored).

How do you cope when in England you are thinking of Spain and visa versa?

Maybe six months there and six here could solve the problem. Anyone out there live their lives this way?
Whether you believe you can, or whether you believe you can't, you are absolutely right.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:02 pm

Babby wrote: You know Kev, doesn´t matter what you say, you won´t convince me that it´s better over there, absolutely no way, no comparison.
Me neither. I have lived here for over twenty years and haven't even set foot outside of the country for the last ten years. Why would I want to?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:05 pm

Beachcomber wrote: Me neither. I have lived here for over twenty years and haven't even set foot outside of the country for the last ten years. Why would I want to?
Beach, I can understand you being happy there, but it´s not a bad thing to get out ocassionally! :D You´ll get in a rut! Does not have to be UK, of course, try somewhere else for a couple of weeks. :lol:
Regards, Frank

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:54 pm

Yeah, Bicho - you should get out more!
You cant seriously say that 45 degree summers are good for you?
Youll end up like Don Quixote - confused!
I know, ive done it - and it made me appreciate the climate in UK, after years of complaining like everybody else I learnt to accept that it isnt so bad.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:48 am

Seriously Kevin, is that the only reason, because it reaches 45 degrees? There are other countries that have high temps in Summer and low in Winter, look at Canada for example.

45 is the extreme and only happens in July and August usually and if you don´t have to go out in it, you don´t have to and most of the Spanish (and others) who can avoid going out like mad dogs etc. do. It is mostly the Brits, Germans, Dutch etc. on holiday who likes to stretch out in 45 degrees.

So apart from the weather, what other reason did you have for going back to the UK? 8)
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:29 am

And don't forget not everywhere in Spain gets those hot temps. Around Cadiz on the coast there is always a breeze and temps haven't been in the 40s at all. As Babby says, you just learn to rest when it gets to 30 and come out at night like the Spanish. But then Cadiz is as far from Malaga as York is from London, and there are big differences in temp between the north and south of England too. I found it much harder to sleep in England at night in the summer when I used to live there, going to bed at 11 cos restaurants all stopped serving at 9 so all you could do after that was drink. It's just totally different here.

MaggieMay
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MaggieMay » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:44 am

Being out all day every day for a couple of months of 45 degrees would probably not be good for you, no. But most expats are in a position to do as the Spanish do as above posts. Personally I found the number of grey days and lack of sunshine in England weren´t good for me.
But what does it matter, the main thing is whether or not an individual is happy and contented where they live, if Beachcomber is happy not to step foot outside Spain, and Frank is happy living in Wales and visiting Spain then good for them, and for you too Kevin you enjoy England and that is where you are!
I wear it well...........

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:05 pm

Having satisfied my wanderlust by globe-trotting in my youth before half of the world was taken over by tyrannical despots and terrorists and the other half by obese, rubber-necking tourists I am quite happy to live in and explore a country with more than three times the land mass and less than two thirds of the population of the country of my birth.

But thanks for the advice anyway, kev and Frank.