Community WiFi

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Community WiFi

Postby Miro » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:00 pm

Anyone here have WiFi provided by their community? Pros / Cons? Any security issues to be aware of?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Community WiFi

Postby alexander1 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:37 pm

Hope you get a reply soon Miro - I too would be interested.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:55 pm

Yes, I hope so too! My concern is that presumably everyone in the community gets the password, which they can then pass on to anyone they like - friends, tenants, friends of tenants, friends of friends, hackers etc. etc. Whilst I have absolutely no idea how to do so myself, I find it hard to believe that it's impossible for someone with the no-how to access network traffic to/from individual users if they so desire. OK, the password can be changed regularly, but that will surely create huge inconvenience? Who adminsters the system, how are owners notified of a change of password etc. etc?

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:10 pm

Im the president of an 80 apartment community and we have installed a router in our office in the complex. Owners can then come to the office and sit in or sit outside under the trees and surf the www. Setting up a bigger system has problems in spain as there are two things that interefere with wifi signals......... cement and water :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:29 pm

Not quite what I had in mind. I'm talking about a proper community system accessible in every individual apartment, not just a wifi hotspot by the pool!

Sat Guy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sat Guy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi Guys

I can help with suggestions, As i have built exactly what you need, Administration is the KEY, so sorry but i don't have time to explain,

I will put something down when i can, But its very in Depth!

Regards,

Carl.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:11 pm

OK, thanks Carl, I look forward to hearing more from you.