Wish you were here?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:01 pm

Any Spanish people moved in near you recently? Or more to the point, Andalucians?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:41 pm

Lorraine I know your development and no way is your apartment overpriced. It was one of the quality developments not what they are building now one orange box on top of another. The trouble is everyone wants to buy off-plan and get their 30% profit :lol:

Thousands of people are going around saying how much their spanish property is worth - on paper anyway!

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

wish you were here?

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:56 am

Hi Katy,
Thanks for that, I'm glad someone out there realises we are not all greedy sellers!! for a minute I was starting to think I was going mad!! It is a very good complex and a very reasonable price, I'm just curious as to how you know where I live, I haven't said on here where I am , or used my name, I'm new to all this forum stuff, obviously I'm not too great at being mysterious!!!
As to the comment that property is like any other commodity and is all a gamble , well of course it is but you can hardly compare it to buying a car, good property shouldn't depreciate if it is bought at a fair price in the first place.
Lorraine

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:42 am

And pray, Katy, what is wrong with a cave house??? We live in one and it is fantastic - unless you live in one, don't judge.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:05 am

Reading some of the posts here, it is not difficult to understand why we are famous for our arrogance.
How the Spanish nation should be kissing our feet because we made them rich..funny before we arrived they could afford to have an average of 5 children, now they can hardly afford to rear one. They could leave home at 18 and buy their own home with a years wage, the children were not exposed to drugs and rape. (This is just for an eg.I could mention a lot of other things but would take too long)
A lot of you seem to think that they owe us something.
What about us...to whom do we owe our wealth?
Having grown up on cowboy movies I felt a fear and hate of red Indians..I mean..how barbaric, scalping...later I learned the Indian culture, and how they adopted scalping..I felt ashamed and understood why.
All the arrogant folk out there should take a look at history, and find out how England became "rich"...then take a deep breath and try to be more humble.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:33 am

jpinks wrote:Why do you single out the Brits? There are lots of Germans, Finns, Swedes, Russians, Argentinians, Dutch, French, Bulgarians, Belgians, etc, etc, that I personally know - all who have bought proeprty in Andalucia. So stop trying to tell us that the Spanish property boom was paid for by UK money.
In part, it certainly was! Given that apart from people from African countries and South America, Brits represent the largest percentage of immigrants, so it's safe to assume, they have pumped the most money in. Or are you going to suggest it's those from Africa or South America? :D Were they spread out equally across Spain, then the effect might have been mitigated, but of course, the majority like to huddle together in groups along, or near the coast, thereby forcing up prices there.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

fullmonty
Tourist

Postby fullmonty » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:08 am

Some do realise that without residential tourism andalucia would be much poorer economically
Residential tourism makes Spain an economically richer place - people coming to the UK to work makes the UK overcrowded with immigrants.

Discuss.

Dave

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:27 am

people moving to Spain from the UK bring their assets with them, buy property, employ builders, gardeners etc. They also buy cars and pay taxes every year.

immigrants in the UK arrive and go straight on benefits, get a council house. Most of them don't have the language skill to get into the jobs market, supposing that they want to, they are better off on benefits.

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:47 am

people moving to Spain from the UK bring their assets with them, buy property, employ builders, gardeners etc. They also buy cars and pay taxes every year.
well yes they do,.....but many employ british "builders, gardeners" etc....
many of whom are not working legally, and many who are in no way ´qualified´to do these jobs, and occasionally are down right dangerous.

is this perhaps because
Most of them don't have the language skill to get into the jobs market, supposing that they want to, they are better off on benefits.
Ok maybe not ON benefits, but still cheating the system!! Not paying their dues, but still getting free education for their kids, medical assistance on
technically fraudulently obtained e111s etc...

Well yes all the brits spend money, but there are so many british shops, supermarkets, bars,restaurants,tradesmen etc.....that much of the money
is purely making the rounds amongst the British community. How does that help the local Spanish economy? And many goods, services etc, are cheaper in the Spanish shops, or from Spanish tradesmen, but then again these Spaniards, still havent learnt to speak English have they!
and why should us brits learn Spanish.............its just not the british way is it![/quote]

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:05 pm

frank wrote:
jpinks wrote:...... So stop trying to tell us that the Spanish property boom was paid for by UK money.
In part, it certainly was!.......

What you are all forgetting is the fact that it was andalucians who built the hotels, apartment blocks and all the rest of the stuff which allowed brits to make the costa the destination of choice for package tourism. The result is that the comparatively few (compared to tourists) residents are tarred with the same brush as those yobs who spend one or two weeks a year here in drunken oblivion.
The Germans also favour the costas for holidays, but they don't have the same anti-social behaviour while on holiday, so they are not as disliked as the Brits. Same goes for the French and many other nationalities.
You will have to face up to the fact that Brits are a bad lot en-masse, and the rest of you will have to put up with being categorised in the same way until you prove that you, individually, are different.
Slainte,
JohnP.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:06 pm

Every year Spain recieves 36.000 studant to learn Spanish. 41% of these are German, followed by Italians, French American and other countries. Not a lot of English..but then it is up to them to talk English..so why should we bother learning.
25% of British turists rent out a fellow Brits flat in Spain...all payed for in England...well we are not gonna complain about that..right.
A huge amount of black money travels to England..well we are not gonna complain about that..right.
Costa de crime (british criminals)well we are not gonna complain about that..right.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:06 pm

silver wrote:Every year Spain recieves 36.000 studant to learn Spanish. 41% of these are German, followed by Italians, French American and other countries. Not a lot of English.
I can't confirm the figures, but my experience of the few weeks I have spent in language schools would confirm that. The first time I went on my own, I was the only Brit there, and last year I went with a friend, and we were the only Brits in our class. Scandinavians, Germans, Americans, even a Japanese girl, but no other Brits. The principal said that the Brits had probably the lowest take up of any of the main european countries. And the schools here are dropping languages at an alarming rate, and taking pouncy Mickey Mouse subjects.
Regards, Frank

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:11 pm

Most Brits don't shop at Brit owned supermarkets. All the major large ones like Al campo are French owned anyway and thats where I see most of the brits.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:17 pm

This topic has now got about 4 sub topics going and we are all answering different bits :?
Getting back to the weather its now a little cooler at night and early morning, much better. They say 4 main reservoirs will be empty in a month and that people with wells must check them more frequently as the salt content goes up and also the farmers are using more fertilizers and other toxics

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:22 pm

jpinks wrote: The Germans also favour the costas for holidays, but they don't have the same anti-social behaviour while on holiday,

What, nicking the sunbeds is sociable? :D

so they are not as disliked as the Brits. Same goes for the French and many other nationalities.

I would disagree about the Germans, the Spanish I know there, find them incredibly arrogant, and as such, do not like them. As for the "franchutes", I think all the world hates them!

You will have to face up to the fact that Brits are a bad lot en-masse, and the rest of you will have to put up with being categorised in the same way until you prove that you, individually, are different

Interestingly, our Spanish friends rent out properties they own, and their favourite customers are British! He loves England and the English! (He doesn't like Germans though!) Most of his properties are quite expensive, so I suppose he is getting a "better " type of customer. (we're the exception!) :D Most are in the campo, so he gets people looking for peace and quiet, so they would not appeal to the normal yobs that frequent CDS.

Regards, Frank

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:26 pm

katy wrote: Getting back to the weather its now a little cooler at night and early morning, much better.
Ok Katy! We're out on the 28th, so it should be fine by then! Not too hot, just right, hopefully. Booked a few days in Córdoba last night, I'll have to think about booking the rest of the holiday.
Regards, Frank

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:18 pm

What you are all forgetting is the fact that it was andalucians who built the hotels, apartment blocks and all the rest of the stuff which allowed brits to make the costa the destination of choice for package tourism
And the Spanish government supplemented these holidays.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:57 pm

silver wrote:
Every year Spain recieves 36.000 studant to learn Spanish. 41% of these are German, followed by Italians, French American and other countries. Not a lot of English.

Apart from the private acadamies, there are some free or very low price courses on offer by the local government and the universities in most regions of spain. I was constantly being told by Brits 'yes, I know, I dont have the time etc, its too far etc' . These people had at least 4 hours to spare every day to get ratted in the Irish bar where no vocabulary was needed. Top priority when moving to a foreign country - try the beer yes, but learn the language also!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:21 pm

Im a wine man myself..so tell me is cruzcampo an Irish beer?

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:27 pm

silver wrote:And the Spanish government supplemented these holidays.
Which - if true - means that it was certainly not all-british money that "built the costas"
Slainte,
JohnP.