Yahoo Mail

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
tt
Andalucia.com Amigo

Yahoo Mail

Postby tt » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:21 pm

I have a Yahoo email address and today received an email from them telling me that I have 30 days in which to upgrade. After this date it will no longer be available but I will be able to access my mail through Yahoo Mail Classic.
On looking at the T&C of the upgrade it said:
By using the Services, you consent to allow Yahoo!’s automated systems to scan and analyze all incoming and outgoing communications content sent and received from your account (such as Mail and Messenger content including instant messages and SMS messages) including those stored in your account to, without limitation, provide personally relevant product features and content, to match and serve targeted advertising and for spam and malware detection and abuse protection. Unless expressly stated otherwise, you will not be allowed to opt out of this feature.

Seems a bit big brother to me. Do other email providers do this.
Be interested in any comments people may have. It would be a pain to have to change my email address.

Thanks

TT

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Yahoo Mail

Postby gerryh » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:45 pm

If any ISP read my mail to target me with advertising or for any other purpose then I would tell them what i think of them and soon find another ISP.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:52 pm

You may be interested in this:

http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/uk/yahoo/

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:15 pm

Gmail have been doing this ever since it started. If you access your mail online there are a few ads on the right that are usually relevant to you based on the content of the email. They are pretty unobtrusive and you are bound to get this on a free service.

If you download your Yahoo/Hotmail/Gmail to your email client on your PC (Outlook, Live Mail etc) then none of this applies as you don't get the ads.

Personally, if I am going to have to put up with ads to enable me to use a free service I would rather get ads that are relevant than all the other spam that isn't!

Sid

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:20 pm

Sounds to me that they are slyly selling your information to gain from it and we will be receiving alot more spam and dodgy emails.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:30 pm

swerve wrote:Sounds to me that they are slyly selling your information to gain from it and we will be receiving alot more spam and dodgy emails.
With regard to Gmail, their spam filters are almost 100% - if they were selling the information to spammers then the spammers aren't doing too well out of it.

I reckon I get about one junk mail let through in 1000 Gmails and they are trapping about 300 a month in their system.

Sid