Retiring in Andalucia - maybe ?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Boratri
Tourist

Postby Boratri » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi,
My name is Richard and I'm new to this site and this is my first posting.
I moved to Melbourne from the UK over 30 years ago. Recently widowed and the kids having left to work overseas, I've decided to move back to the UK when I retire in 12 to 18 months because the rest of my family are there.
However, on the 3 occasions I've visited Spain in the past 10 years I've really come to appreciate their culture and lifestyle so before I finally resettle in England I thought I would spend 6 or 12 months discovering Spain.
My idea is to rent an apartment in Andalucia and base myself there while I travel around. And this is where I'm hoping to get a bit of advice.
I want to live within a close drive of the sea so that my family and mainly my nieces and their kids will visit (unfortunately no sea, no visit !) as well as hopefully friends from Australia and UK.
According to the various websites I think I can rent a nice apt with 2 bathrooms and 2 or 3 beds for around E 800 per month.
My difficulty is trying to find the right place to base myself in. To be honest I want to avoid the backpacker and heavy drinking crowd and live in a more cultured area which has a smattering of Brits for company.

Boratri
Tourist

Postby Boratri » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:16 pm

I realise that it may not be that easy for a mature single man who doesn't speak the local language but I intend to start Spanish lessons before I leave and continue them when I arrive there. Hopefully I will be able to make friends, as I usually do, which will help me to settle in and who will provide me with advice and information on where else I can visit.
I still have a lot to find out such as whether I need to re-register as a UK citizen etc and whether I buy a car there and drive it over instead of hiring.
Of course there is always the possibility that I will grow to love Spain so much that I will want to live there permanently. I think much will depend on whether I come to grips with the language. It seems from this site that any of you have made that decision without regrets.
Anyway, the main advice I need at this stage is where do I start to look for my first stage of occupation. If I don't like it after 3 months I could always move on. I quite like the Cadiz region from what I've read but I'm open to all suggestions - keeping in mind that it should be close to the sea and away from the heavy party going crowd.
Love to hear from you
Cheers
Richard

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: Retiring in Andalucia - maybe ?

Postby Julie » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:25 pm

There are still lots of small villages along the coast, still very spanish but with Brits splashed around, so take a drive along the coast roads rather than the autopista and see if you find a place you like :)
Good luck and welcome to the mad house :lol:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:48 am

Take a look at the area between Malaga and Nerja for your initial visit, it may not neccesarily be where you want to settle, but it is fairly central for exploring coastal Andalucia. Cadiz is approx 3 hours away, likewise with Almeria in the other direction.
Hardworking resident !!

Boratri
Tourist

Postby Boratri » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks Julie and Fincalospinos. I'll do some research in this area.

Richard

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:57 am

Just my opinion but I would stick to your first idea...cadíz. Anywhere from Tarifa to cadíz city is nice.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:01 pm

katy wrote:Just my opinion but I would stick to your first idea...cadíz. Anywhere from Tarifa to cadíz city is nice.
wet and windy though !!
Hardworking resident !!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:10 pm

True, you can't have it all :D

Boratri
Tourist

Postby Boratri » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:19 pm

Katy I was getting quite excited there for a while until fincalospinos spoiled it all by saying it was wet and windy. Damn. Will have to look elsewhere where it's shaded from the wind.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Boratri wrote:Katy I was getting quite excited there for a while until fincalospinos spoiled it all by saying it was wet and windy. Damn. Will have to look elsewhere where it's shaded from the wind.
Borati, I wouldn't write it off, there are some lovely areas over there, and its great for wind surfing and sailing.
Thats why I suggested spending your first few months renting in a more central coastal location.

One other suggestion to research is a village called Maro, just outside Nerja, on the coast but not too busy.
Hardworking resident !!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:59 pm

Welcome Richard :wave:

If the sea and beaches are important for the children when they visit maybe you should go for the Costa de la Luz area, even though it can be windy as others have said? I have a thread titles 'beaches' which you might find interesting. I have fallen for a place called La Herradura, near Nerja but the beach is pebbles. That doesn't bother me, but children like sand of course.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best - we are also considering moving here and living in what is at the moment our holiday home.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:04 pm

Yes I like Maro, is it still the same? Haven't been for a few years.

I would take a look around the above, elviria, marbella area, vejer de la frontera on cadíz coast.

I do know that apartments asking 900 pm in elviria are now letting for 600pm. If you see anyhting you like make an offer 8)

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:16 pm

[quote="katy"]Yes I like Maro, is it still the same? Haven't been for a few years.

[/quote]

Maro has never really excited me, nothing against it, just a place we've never rushed back to. Quite close to what is now the motorway, and with a so so beach. As Katy knows, we have been to Vejer quite a few times, and I'd much prefer it there. Certainly the wind can be a problem though. Not sure where the perfect spot is, to be honest! :eh:
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:25 pm

Nothings perfect :D A friend lives inland near nerja and they have plantposts secured on the terraces. We had to cancel a few BBQ's and outside meals due to high winds in marbella. Wasn't called the windy coast for nothing!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Marbella is called the windy coast?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:14 pm

julian wrote:Marbella is called the windy coast?
My understanding is that the Costa del Sol was originally known as the Windy coast, in Spanish.
It was renamed as the sunshine coast is more attractive to tourists.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:00 pm

Correct gerry and I think marbella is on the CDS :think:

http://www.otherspain.com/pages/writing/whinge.asp

Boratri
Tourist

Postby Boratri » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:08 am

Thanks everyone for your input. Lots to digest now. Actually I have a very good friend living in Ireland who is going to visit her friend in Vejer next month. So I will ask her to check it out.

Katy thanks also for the cue about negotiating the rent if I like something. Another reason not to buy.

Richard

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:10 am

I agree with Fincalospinos, between Neja and Malaga. The best climate is said to be around Torrox.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:17 am

"I think marbella is on the CDS"

correct katy, it is. Marbella is as you say on the CDS ........(the Costa Del Sol, the sun coast)