Lost bbc news channel ?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
10RDan
Resident

Lost bbc news channel ?

Postby 10RDan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:47 am

I retuned my tv sat box yesterday. Since then I've lost the BBC news channel but I think, not positive, I still had it immediately after returned. It shows in the list as channel 138 and 139 but there's no picture. I'm tuned into Astra 2a / 2b if thats any help to anyone.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks

satandpcguy
Resident

Re: Lost bbc news channel ?

Postby satandpcguy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:58 pm

As part of cost cutting measures (forced onto it by the UK Gvmt freezeing the licence fee tax and hiving off some of that to pay for other things also), the BBC have decide thay can save 20m a year by having a channel shuffle and closing one of their transponders.

This has meant that BBC News, Alba and Parliamnet have moved satellites, and changed their frequencies.

Now BBC News is only available if you can receive BBC2 England - they are on similar / same frequencies.

You will need to rescan Astra 2d 10803 H 22000-5/6 as that is its new frequency for BBC News.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

10RDan
Resident

Postby 10RDan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:11 pm

If I re scan using your info will I loose my existing channels through Astra 2a / 2b ?

PS
Just checked but Astra 2d isn't on satellite list but I have got, and can watch, BBC2 England.

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:15 pm

We have bbcnews and bbc2. Don't realy understand the link, with the no reception problem.

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:22 pm

barry wrote:We have bbcnews and bbc2. Don't realy understand the link, with the no reception problem.
If a receiver other than a sky or freesat box is in use then a retune is required. Those boxes cope with it automatically as they get the data which tells them the frequencies. Other systems such as my motorised system doesn't.

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Ahhh!

10RDan
Resident

Postby 10RDan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:08 am

I've retuned several times but can't get it ? :thumbdown:

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:18 am

10RDan wrote:I've retuned several times but can't get it ? :thumbdown:
Do you get CBeebies, BBC Four, BBC1 Scotland, BBC2 Scotland?
If so then you will get BBC NEws, as these 4 channels are on the same frequency.

If you are unable to receive CBeebies, BBC Four, BBC1 Scotland, BBC2 Scotland, as your dish i too small for where you are, then you will not get BBC News.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

10RDan
Resident

Postby 10RDan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:01 pm

Can get BBC1 and 2 Scotland but not BBC4, apparently it disappeared a few months ago, or cbeebies ?

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm

Just done a scan on 10803 and 11 TV channels appear on there including CBeebbies , BBC 4 and News. Trust us they are there! Another thing is what receiver are you using? When they have enough channels they won't add anymore. Try deleting the transponder and then adding it again and scanning.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:45 pm

10RDan wrote:Can get BBC1 and 2 Scotland but not BBC4, apparently it disappeared a few months ago, or cbeebies ?
They are all on the same frequency....
Although BBC 4 may only show when it is live - after 7pm.

And if you can get BBC1 and 2 Scotland, then you will also get BBC News, as it too is on the same frequency!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:52 pm

On my free to air receiver once you have scanned you have to look for the relevant channel and move it back to the position where you want it. When I scanned 10803 BBC News 24 was identified as 6405News and the original News 24 channels is showing Channel 5.
Let's go Brandon!

10RDan
Resident

Postby 10RDan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:14 pm

I'll try the suggestions above, if I can work out what they mean.

Delete transporter ? ?
What is it and how do I delete it ?

Scan 10803 ? ?
When scanning I just "tell it" to scan Astra 2a / 2b and it "does its thing".

Thanks

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:31 pm

10RDan wrote: Delete transporter ? ?
What is it and how do I delete it ?
Thought a transporter was in Star Trek.

Some receivers, you may have to delete the old channel (ie the old BBC NEws) listing before they accept another with the same name.

This is usually done in the menu system by editing the channel list - how exactly varies from receiver to receiver - your user manual should tell you.

As its a bit tricky for anyone else to tell you how or help yu out considering you have not said what receiver, out of the many that there are, your are using!
10RDan wrote: Scan 10803 ? ?
When scanning I just "tell it" to scan Astra 2a / 2b and it "does its thing".
Most decent receivers allow you to scan / seach on one frequency, rather than having to performa full scan of all available frequencies. Again, if its a decent receiver it should offer you that option...again check you manual, or if you cannot do it then find someone how can come around and show you how to do it...