Kindle

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
mhic
Andalucia Guru

Kindle

Postby mhic » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:04 am

Her what makes my life worthwhile has been dropping hints about a kindle for Christmas, does anyone have any experience of the 3g version.

Mhic.

campocaro1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Kindle

Postby campocaro1 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:34 am

I have one-3G version. Bought in UK. We have no wifi or 3G at home but I can get 3G in our nearby village and ironically about 10 mins walk from our house so I download books when I walk the dog! I travel a lot for work and I can now read the paper on it and download books wherever I am.

It is fantastic-it saves me lots of kilos in weight bringing back books from UK. I have a cover with an integrated reading light which is very good when I am reading in bed at night/early morning and don't want to disturb anyone.

Only downside is that I used to lend/share books with friends and now many of us have Kindles-so if anyone knows ways of 'lending' books to others via Kindle I would be interested to know!

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:50 pm

Sounds good and could save us a small fortune plus a lot of space in the garage.

Anyone want paperbacks free!!!

Mhic.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:29 pm

campocaro1 wrote:
Only downside is that I used to lend/share books with friends and now many of us have Kindles-so if anyone knows ways of 'lending' books to others via Kindle I would be interested to know!
Google 'kindle book sharing' . Loads of advice . Here's a good start.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5555987_share-b ... ounts.html
Todos somos Lorca.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:20 pm

campocaro1 wrote:Only downside is that I used to lend/share books with friends and now many of us have Kindles-so if anyone knows ways of 'lending' books to others via Kindle I would be interested to know!
You could always swop Kindles for a couple of days :shock:

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:27 pm

[quote="campocaro1"]I have one-3G version. Bought in UK. We have no wifi or 3G at home but I can get 3G in our nearby village and ironically about 10 mins walk from our house so I download books when I walk the dog! I travel a lot for work and I can now read the paper on it and download books wherever I am.

campocaro1 - where are you when you download the kindle books - the UK or in Spain?
Graham

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:37 pm

Wow! Never heard of these things.. they really sound great. Must try to find out more..

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:24 pm

Hubby bought me one for Christmas :thumbup: - haven't really used it yet, but I've downloaded a couple of books that my friend & her husband have published ! My Kindle will come into its own when I'm next travelling - got to be easier than a bag full of magazines :thumbup:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

campocaro1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby campocaro1 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:54 pm

GusThanks for link re sharing -will try it and Chunky Monkey thanks for suggestion of swapping Kindles-I guess I could try for a while with trusted friends :thumbup: !

Graham I hop between UK and Spain and various other countries and download where ever I am. I originally registered the Kindle in UK and always use 3G to download, not via my Spanish computer.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:02 pm

A thought............

"Users can either download titles to their computers and upload them to the Kindle through a link cable, similar to the way users add songs to an iPod, or they can use a built-in wireless Internet connection to download directly to the device. "

If you're normally in UK and in Spain as a "tourist" then using a computer to download with Expat shield loaded this will give you a UK IP so your account and country will be the same.

:?:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:23 pm

This is a good place to look for 'free' Kindle books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Free-Kindle-Boo ... 2Z8XK2Y1ME

Plus they do a Daily Deal usually all you have to pay is the VAT

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:22 pm

Tried to buy a kindle 3 g today from Amazon UK but they won't deliver it to Spain, never had a problem getting lots of other things delivered to us here.

Mhic.

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:50 pm

This might help:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/a ... Spain.html

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:59 pm

alexander1 wrote:This is a good place to look for 'free' Kindle books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Free-Kindle-Boo ... 2Z8XK2Y1ME

Plus they do a Daily Deal usually all you have to pay is the VAT
I've got some children's books on at only £1, and at www.authorway.net there are links to some novels at £1 :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks Alexander, I'll have another look at the US outlet.

Mhic.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:50 pm

Enrique wrote:A thought............

"Users can either download titles to their computers and upload them to the Kindle through a link cable, similar to the way users add songs to an iPod, or they can use a built-in wireless Internet connection to download directly to the device. "

If you're normally in UK and in Spain as a "tourist" then using a computer to download with Expat shield loaded this will give you a UK IP so your account and country will be the same.

:?:
you really shouldn't need to b***** about like this. We bought ours in the UK nd have only ever downloaded books via oir home wifi or 3g her ein Spain. No problem at all..

Friends have one bought in the USA and only use their's in Spain, they have no problems either..
Regards

Bob

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:33 pm

If you buy on someone else's account you both get each other's books. I have three on my account, my husband's, my daughter's and my own and anything bought is delivered to all three Kindles. Brilliant!

Technobear
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Technobear » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:49 pm

3g, I also find very useful here (Spain)

Sharing - amazon have introduced 14 day book lending in US, might make it to Europe at some point.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:36 pm

did you know you can swap your books with other people (on other E readers even ) If you keep a copy of your book on your PC with a free piece of library software.

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows

Enjoy !

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:24 pm

Kindle DX.......one of the best tech items I have ever bought. Got it while here in Spain and never had problem downloading here, UK or Morocco.

AND........they have one of the best after-sales I have ever dealt with. Irretrievably damaged mine [burnt it, long story], phoned Arizona USA and got a nice lady at 3.00 their time and explained problem saying all I wanted was a return address and someone to give CC number to for a fast repair......as I part use mine for research/reference work.

Hold the line she said...........came back in a few moments and said she had authorisation to send me a new replacement FREE OF CHARGE [around 400euro worth I think].

She said item would be with me in 5 days at AEG on the 15th Nov...........She lied........did it arrive on the 15th?........NO.

It arrived on the 14th!!!!!!!

Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"