What to pay a labourer/builder

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Acen
Resident

What to pay a labourer/builder

Postby Acen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:41 am

Could anyone tell me what would be reasonable rate of pay for a builder doing work in a house.

Not so much a building company but privately paying an individual to work aroung the house!!!

cheers

a

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Re: What to pay a labourer/builder

Postby hillybilly » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:00 am

Depends on how skilled they are. If they're a labourer (peón), then I know of Spanish guys working for between 8 and 10 euros an hour right now. If they're a "proper" builder (albañil) then anything from 15E an hour upwards. It also depends on whether it's black money or legit :wink:

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:01 am

hillybilly wrote:Depends on how skilled they are. If they're a labourer (peón), then I know of Spanish guys working for between 8 and 10 euros an hour right now. If they're a "proper" builder (albañil) then anything from 15E an hour upwards. It also depends on whether it's black money or legit :wink:
is that €15 legit or cash in hand!!!!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:37 am

I've always been loath to pay anyone by the 'hour', surprising how a '10 hour' job can turn into a 20 hour job.
I would prefer to agree a fixed price for the work, then a bonus if they work hard and do a good job..
I also find it deplorable that some people take advantage and pay very poor 'wages' because they know that the worker is desperate for work...better to be fair..in my opinion.

Most of the jobbing workers around my 'neck of the woods' seem to be basing their prices on 10-12 euros an hour...depending on whether it is 'cash in hand' or 'official' of course...

Regards,
Gordon.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:54 am

Agree entirely about the problems with having a job done on an houly basis..........it can be financial suicide.

Far better to get a quote for the whole lot finished, or if the job has possible unknown factors that prevent this figure being given accurately then a day rate is my second choice.....with an estimate of how many days the guy reckons it'll need.

Going rate in Spain for Spanish builders seems to be around 80 euros a day if they do name a figure which they usually will. I think, although generalising it's the Brit builders who prefer the pay by the hour thing........which for me when I'm 2000 miles away is a great big no no.

If quoted an hourly rate always turn it on its head and ask for a quote for the finished job.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:57 am

Gordon

Have you been on the sherry!!!

Market rates are a way off life in the every juristiction ive worked in.

Did you used to work in the public sector???

Due to the current recession everyone in my company has missed out on payrises and bonuses for 3 years now!! It is "deplorable" but thats the way it is.

a

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby probe » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:59 am

We've had some simple building work and painting done recently and the going rate appears to be around €100/day or €10/hour.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:21 pm

Acen....A bit too early for Sherry...for me anyway... :lol:

No , apart from HM Forces I've never worked in the public sector,I've spent most of my life self-employed and running my own companies and always paid a fair rate of pay to anyone working for me, and expected a good days work in return, if anyone didn't give me fair return for wages paid, then they didn't work for me for very long... :)
I don't believe in slave labour and I've always tried to arrive at an ammicable rate of pay, and never paid much attention to 'market rates'..

Regards,
Gordon.

Acen
Resident

Postby Acen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:27 pm

Gordon

Fair enough and I do respect your point. Unfortunately, its my experience is that everyones feeling the squeeze regardless of level.

In the UK they are currently moaning about a reduced pension. At least they are getting one!!! thats more than im getting or will ever get.

we will be working until the grave, and even then the hacienda's gonna come looking for us.

a

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:39 pm

Acen,
Sorry to hear that you will have to keep on working longer than expected, and that it has probably disrupted your plans, really not fair I agree..

I've never really experienced working for big companies, and being self-employed there have been many times when I've really had to struggle to survive, so perhaps I'm hardened to it all.

Anyway Good Luck to you and I hope that things will improve..

Regards,
Gordon.