Holidays over Christmas...

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
HKM
Resident

Holidays over Christmas...

Postby HKM » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:02 am

Are the 26th of Dec and the 2nd of Jan holidays this year?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Holidays over Christmas...

Postby Enrique » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:27 am

Hi HKM,
Checkout the Calendario.................
http://www.cuandoenelmundo.com/calendario/espana/2011

Also checkout the Mercadona site for store closures................

http://www.mercadona.es/corp/ing-html/donde.html
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:13 pm

...thanks Enrique, two very useful links - I am always forgetting the holidays. :thumbup:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi anis,
There are other links to local ones....................I selected Malaga as may of you are in that area 8)........... Just use the box on the right to select your Provincia

http://www.calendariolaboral.net/malaga
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:02 pm

I find the Mercadonna one for your local one a good guide as if anywhere is closed, pause for sound of dropping hat, Mercadonna will be.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:32 pm

As Enrique says be careful because the 26th isn't a national holiday so it won't be a holiday everywhere. It's the same for the 2ndJan.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:30 pm

Useful links - I note that "our" Mercadona has sneaked another day off on the 6th that I hadn't accounted for!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:41 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Useful links - I note that "our" Mercadona has sneaked another day off on the 6th that I hadn't accounted for!
Come on Peter, How long have you lived in Spain?
There nothing sneaky about that day. It's the day kids can't wait to arrive.
It's the day of the kings. The day many children get their presents. A national holiday de toda la vida.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:29 am

Come on Peter, How long have you lived in Spain?

You may joke but I met a bar owner in Nerja some years ago who had lived there for twelve years - he didn't know the name of the town's patron saint!! (San Isidro).

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:06 am

This year the 26 December and the 2 January will be national holidays. This is because if a national holiday falls on a Sunday the fiesta is passed to the following day...

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:42 am

I saw Rahoy in the parliament yesterday was saying the law will be changed to move all fiestas to a Monday - cutting out the ridiculous "bridges" that shut the country down for days. Good idea in principle, but will the god-botherers be happy being told they must work on Xmas Day and 3 Kings Day and have a different day off instead?
I didn't say I didn't know about the 6th January markwilding, just that human frailty made me not account for it - I forgot!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:00 am

bunty wrote:This year the 26 December and the 2 January will be national holidays. This is because if a national holiday falls on a Sunday the fiesta is passed to the following day...
The 26th and 2nd aren't national holidays and it isn't typical to pass the holiday to monday in every part of Spain. My wife and I will be working on both days as does everybody who isn't taking time off over the Christmas
If you're going anywhere outside Andalucia, you'll need to check if there are parking restrictions in force

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:31 am

Just been told the government want to stop the day being carried forward to the Monday if the holiday falls on a Saturday or a Sunday.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:32 am

peteroldracer wrote:I saw Rahoy in the parliament yesterday was saying the law will be changed to move all fiestas to a Monday - cutting out the ridiculous "bridges" that shut the country down for days. Good idea in principle, but will the god-botherers be happy being told they must work on Xmas Day and 3 Kings Day and have a different day off instead?
I didn't say I didn't know about the 6th January markwilding, just that human frailty made me not account for it - I forgot!
I suppose that it will work in the same way as we do it in the UK, so Xmas day, new year's day and the kings would stay the same. The problem of not every region in Spain having a holiday on the same day,which I mentioned in my previous post, should be resolved as well so everybody does the same.
Rahoy has a lot of these quirks, left over from Franco times, in Spanish culture to sort out.
In Bilbao last sunday the unions were out in force trying to intimidate shoppers and shops,which opened for the first time ever on a Sunday here, because they disagree with sunday shopping but which is totally legal for a certain amount of Sundays in one year.
He needs to curb union powers and take away the subsidies they receive from public funds if they break the law.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:02 pm

The problem is when powers are devolved from central government (as a sop to local regional interests) not only do costs go up due to the infrastructure needed - parliament/council buildings, staff, regional signs, multiple languages et al - but the elected government of the country loses control.
Britain is still paying for all this Labour-inspired nonsense, and Spain will never be one country until there is only one government.

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:12 pm

Spare a thought for all those who work all through the holidays,electricity workers,health workers policemen,firemen and all those people working to enable you to have tv and radio etc.
Merry Christmas to all of them.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:27 pm

My sister is working over Christmas, she works in a carehome.

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:00 pm

Sorry Mark if I did not make myself clear.As this is a living in Andalucia forum I am inclined to write just what I know about life here.I only know about the holiday on Monday from the members of my family who are funcionarios.. who work in Andalucia..
Have just received some shopping propaganda in my letter-box.One is from Lidl and it seems many of their stores are open on the 26 and also Hipercor etc. I suppose that the bread shops and chinos will be open as well so at least things wont be too bad shopping wise....