wifi router

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
bunty
Resident

wifi router

Postby bunty » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:38 pm

At the moment I am using an ordinary router with cables but need to change to a wifi soon( daughter back living with us) I am with Orange and they have several models to choose from but don't know if any are better to choose than others or if they are all the same.....I am completely ignorant about these matters... Is there one that someone can recomend that I could buy myself?? I live in a flat so don't think there will be a problem with walls etc. The only problem I see is the distance from one end of the flat to the other...
Thanks in advance..

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: wifi router

Postby Enrique » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi bunty,
More info........ Spain or UK..ADSL :?:
This year I switched my networks over to TP-Link equipment form Netgear and the results have been very good.
My current Wireless routers are TP-Link TL-WR1043ND with TL-WA730RE Range extenders. Family insist on working in sheds at the bottom of the garden and out on the terrace in Spain. Also using High Gain TP-LInk TL-WN722N wireless adapter on a PC.
Prices on Amazon.co.uk are very competitive.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:19 am

Thanks Enrique, I am in Spain and use Orange ADSL..

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:27 am

Hi bunty,
What are the Make/model of the wireless routers Orange could supply. :?:
We had a thread in November.......the member was having poor wireless connection. They were using .. http://www.sagemcom.com/index.php?id=2128&L=0# from Orange.

From reading the spec on this one it is limited to b/g Networks. You should be looking for ones that support n/b/g........the current N routers have better range than the old G ones.

You have two ways to go.............
I) Get an Orange supplied one , this should be a straight swap ....may/may not have some problems as member above.
2) Leave existing modem/router connected and connect a wireless router to this as a WAP (Wireless Access Point) . this option gives you a choice to pick a router that has good range.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.