Vinegar- good for removing 'cal' from pans....

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Vinegar- good for removing 'cal' from pans....

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:12 pm

I know I have seen the virtues of vinegar extolled on here before, but I'm not sure if this tip has been previously covered - if it has, then apologies :D

Rather than firing up the boiler to wash up, I usually just boil a pan (aluminium) of our well water on the stove. Like a lot of peoples, our water is very full of minerals, and the pan very quickly 'cals up'. I usually tried to remove it using a pan scrub and a lot of elbow grease, then one day, I noticed a bottle of apple cider vinegar I'd bought and not really used. So once I'd emptied the pan, and while it was still hot,I squirted some of the vinegar around til it had covered all the deposit. Left it while I did the washing up, and then gave it a wipe with the dishcloth - hey presto, it came up absolutely gleaming :thumbup: There is a bit of a vinegar-y smell but it soon clears, and now I squirt the pan every couple of days or so to keep it shiny.

Now the sooty deposit on the base of the pan is another story....... :thumbdown:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

knowal
Resident

Re: Vinegar- good for removing 'cal' from pans....

Postby knowal » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:30 pm

So you are saying that acidic vinegar helps to remove alkaline calcium carbonate deposits from things?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:38 pm

It's great. Also cleans the kettle, tap filters etc. A cloth dipped in vinegar wiped around a bath or washbasin makes it look like showroom condition,

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:57 pm

You have just proved to me that you really listen to your domestic staff katy...it is good to empathise with their day.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:29 am

My household skills are endless...I could run Chatsworth :wink: Actually the vinegar tip came from a Spanish woman. Another one from same woman, Paqui.

To keep marble floor white. Rub with cloth dipped in warm soapy water and tablespoon of vinegar per litre of water. Rinse with cold water and dry with soft cloth. Lemon juice can be used instead of vinegar. Vinegar is also good to get wine decanters sparkling.

And when you have done all that work to revive the hands rub with half a lemon, cover in hand lotion and sleep in cotton gloves :lol:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:53 am

i find agua fuerte and a good rinse is all it needs.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

campocaro1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby campocaro1 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:45 am

I use vinegar for cleaning -Mercadona now sell white vinegar in litre bottles very cheaply and I have one in each bathroom and one in the kitchen. Good for getting tea stains out of mugs too.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:04 am

Apple cider vinegar also helps arthritis sufferers. One tablespoon per day.
Dave

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:33 am

Vinegar is the main thing in my antiques restorers kit, brilliant on brass, copper etc as I've previously stated, and so cheap in Spain..I wonder why ?..Always previously bought it in France ...but much cheaper in Spain..
I try to only use natural products for cleaning and restoring and apart from vinegar... I use lots of lemon, beeswax and salt...etc...

Regards,
Gordon...

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:35 pm

The smell of chemical cleaners makes my feel physically sick so I've been using vinegar, bicarb, lemon & various essential oils to clean for many years. I also use vinegar instead of fabric softener in the washing machine, as conditioner for my hair after washing with bicarb & in my mop water to clean all floors. In the kitchen I have a spray bottle with water, vinegar & Thieves essential oil blend to clean & disinfect worktops. I also use it as a fabric & room freshener as it smells gorgeous!!
I'm currently writing an ebook with recipes to make beauty products from simple ingredients that you can find in the kitchen but, I think I might add some for cleaning around the home too :D