New Years Eve 2011

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
scouser
Andalucia.com Amigo

New Years Eve 2011

Postby scouser » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:58 pm

Anyone know if there are any celebrations going on in Velez Malaga. We went to Nerja last year but I was hoping to celebrate nearer home this year.
Thanks

Free at Last
Resident

Re: New Years Eve 2011

Postby Free at Last » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:21 am

There certainly won't be cava and grapes in the Plaza de las Carmelitas this year, as there have been previously. It was announced a few weeks ago that the Ayuntamiento had decided not to do this in 2011, to save money. The usual firework display wasn't mentioned so I don't know if that will be going ahead or not.

scouser
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby scouser » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:37 am

Thanks for the response. We decided to have a look in anyway to see if there was anything happening tonight. There were about 200 people there but just families and groups of young people gathered around the firework stall outside the town hall that didn't seem to be doing much business.
There was a stage but nothing going on. The only entertainment was a guy with the doors open on his car playing his radio loudly and the odd firework being set off while a few people drank glasses of cava and ate grapes from baking foil wraps. Very low key. But, at least we weren't hopping over drunks and puddles of sick as some friends in Manchester were. There were no official celebrations there either.
We got back home in time to see London's fireworks.
Happy New Year to everyone here.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:23 am

I don't know if it's the same all over Spain but here people see the new year in with their families then many start going out around 2pm so it gets busy later

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:44 am

Last night was the quietest Noche Vieja I've ever seen in Velez, far fewer fireworks than in previous years. Normally there are a few exuberant parties around us, spilling onto the street (but all good natured and with no trouble involved) but last night there was scarcely a soul around, and the youngsters weren't roaring off on their motos just after midnight to start the celebrations in earnest as they usually do.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:10 pm

Fireworks, music etc playing in the church square till an ungodly hour. I could hardly get to sleep. Roll on 2nd January.
Dave

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:21 pm

We decided to try Malaga last night. You needed to eat before you went, as other than the hotels, none of the bars and restaurants were open. But the atmosphere was lovely, there were lots of people about, free party packs, and Larios was packed. There was a band on in the square at the top of Larios. Everyone brought their own bottle of cava and plastic glasses. After midnight, we found one bar open, full of English and other nationalities (but no Spanish other than the staff). Good night, but you need to be organised, and take your own. At least with all the bars closed there were no drunks staggering about.

We walked back through the square just after 2, and you couldn't see the ground for discarded party packs, empty bottles and glasses, but by this morning, the streets were spotless and washed down. Only disappointment was no fireworks.
AlisonB

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Mowser wrote:Fireworks, music etc playing in the church square till an ungodly hour. I could hardly get to sleep. Roll on 2nd January.
:clap:
you missed a good night, Mowser...

there were even men in skirts there....Scots, I think they call them... :thumbup:
putting the "ANDA" into Andalucía..:)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:58 pm

We had some good New Years in Marbella. Used to be lot of ambiente but not overcrowded. Live band in Plaza de los naranjos for dancing, old ladies in black sat on tree branches drinking the free cava provided by Gil. We would stay until about 2am and then walk along the Paseo, lots of people in evening suits, even the Spanish youths.

I think things changed after the millenium, sort of took on a "you must enjoy yourelf or else..." and everything seems forced. I can party with the rest but not to order! lThe last time we went the narrow streets were so packed you couldn't even get into the Plaza. Last 8 years or so we have tended to shoot off after Xmas. Couldn't this year as pet-sitters not available :( My perfect idea of seeing in the New Year is a drink in my hand and sat on a tropical beach without the crowds, but I suppose we have changed too.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:55 pm

We went to a Bridge and Supper do in Nerja, decided to miss the ceremonials on the Balcon and drove back home in time for Big Ben - apart from half-a-dozen cars on the A7, saw nothing moving once we reached Trapiche all the way home to Llano Almendra (approx 25kms)! Tranquilo!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:48 am

You don't see anybody at that time of night because Spanish people tend to have a big spread at home and celibrate the chimes with their families.If you had stayed out a little longer,you'll have seen the bars reopening and people piling back onto the streets.
I drove my son to meet his mates at around 2.30am after a family game of bingo and ludo and the streets were full of young people.He got back home at around 9am this morning. I sometimes go out as well to savour the atmosphere,although not this year.
A couple of years back the Basque tv channel did a Puerta del Sol type thing and it seemed as though the town square was full of revellers.Only thing was that they filmed it in november.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:41 pm

Didn't you have La Pantoja on TV? Or "Pants" as we used to call her :lol: