Electricity Meter??

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
alig99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Electricity Meter??

Postby alig99 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi wondered if anyone could help with a query about electricity meter?

We have been receiving bills for electricity usuage, however, for sometime now the LED screen has been blank on our meter, so we don't know how the electricity company can tell us how much we have used although we have been advised a person has come to read the meter!

We have written several times to the electricity company re this problem; the first time they said there was no problem, however, we have just written again and the response has been that the meter is owned by us and we have to get it repaired/replaced???

Our question is do we own the meter? we thought the electricity company did? what is the situation in Spain, are meters owned by the homeowner?

your advices most welcome, thanks Ali

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Re: Electricity Meter??

Postby masterob » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:01 pm

An interesting question of which I don't know the definitive answer!
However, Endesa charge us each month for "Equipos de medida" which I assume is the rental of the meter. It seems to be based on the number of days covered by each bill. It's a pretty minimal amount, our last one was 28 days x 0,054098 €/day (1,51€), the previous one was 29 days x 0,054483€/day (1,58€). The daily rate seems to vary each month, I have no idea why. Another of the mysteries of life in Spain!!

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:28 am

Don't pay any more bills then & when they want to remove it to disconnect you tell them where to go ! :lol:
They are always the same ; when there's a problem you 'own' the meter . All other times it's theirs !
Todos somos Lorca.

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:50 pm

Yes electricity meters can be owned by an individual home owner in Spain, however if you own the meter you will not be charged the standard rental fee. If you do own it then repairs and maintenance are at your own cost. I only know as my neighbour bought his own meter which had to have it installed by a registered and qualified electrician to lower his monthly outgoings.

Regards
Ian
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

curatokid
Resident

Postby curatokid » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:05 am

I understood that if you do not pay they remove the meter and it seems the thing that is being done is you reconnect the service yourself without the meter , very dangerous if you dont know what you are doing but seems its a lot cheaper !! if you know what I mean.